Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

new world world vs ashes world

ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
really hoping that intrepid takes some ideas out of the world in new world, ashes has some cool features but the world in new world is so immersive, obviously ashes is still only in an alpha though

what are your thoughts from people that have played the new world beta vs ashes alpha?

Comments

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2021
    New World is a survival game trying to become an MMORPG, so...
    Depends on what you mean, specifically.

But, sure, I love the New World compass. And the New World NPC combat behavior is great.
  • ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dygz wrote: »
    New World is a survival game trying to become an MMORPG, so...
    Depends on what you mean, specifically.

But, sure, I love the New World compass. And the New World NPC combat behavior is great.

just the immersion in general, some things that ashes have done well vs some things that new world have done well,

stuff you would like to see from new world in ashes, for me i am way more excited about playing ashes than new world but the graphics and world emersion in new world far out weighs that of ashes, as i said ashes is earlier in development, i just hope they have the same sorta feel when the alpha 2 / beta come around
    new world i think does scaling alot better
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Shuiyn wrote: »

How so?

How so?

https://ibb.co/wySyqVn

vs

https://ibb.co/YdCtMJz

ashes seems like you are more floating above the world, your character seems to small and terrain over scaled

where as new world seems like you are more part of the world, like the wind and weather have an impacting type feel, more immersive, this is just my opinion

How so?
    LMFAO
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2021

How so?

vs

ashes seems like you are more floating above the world, your character seems to small and terrain over scaled

where as new world seems like you are more part of the world, like the wind and weather have an impacting type feel, more immersive, this is just my opinion

I think I can see what you mean, but it looks like that has more to do with how zoomed in the camera is (it's especially obvious if you zoom in on the New World screenshot by 175% so they're the same size).
    The scale of bushes is about the same in both (bush to player ratio).

Ashes has its camera really far back - almost like a 2.5D game - but I don't think you need to give this up to achieve the same immersion.
    Instead you could use large scale architectures to "hug" the edges of the camera and achieve a similar sense of "smallness in a big world". But I wonder if that would create issues with camera clipping?
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Shuiyn wrote: »

How so?

vs

I believe the camera distance from the character plays quite of a role in this proportion illusion.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2021
    I believe the camera distance from the character plays quite of a role in this proportion illusion.

This very much. Zoom in in Ashes next time you play it @Shuiyn , or watch a streamer like Luki (check earlier vods or youtube vids from Ashes) who often plays zoomed in, and the difference is obvious.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ashes DOES look beautiful when you zoom in up and close!

Unforch, everyone's going to maximize their vision so loss of immersion will be the price to pay.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    maouw wrote: »

Unforch, everyone's going to maximize their vision so loss of immersion will be the price to pay.

Yep. I really feel bad for the textures team. For a myriad of reasons and this is definitely one of them.
    🔦🔱⚔️Selling pro pain and pro pain accessories. ⚔️🔱🔦
  • While I can see the argument that when you zoom in it looks better, I don't think it is a solution, and I would imagine the developers are not happy with it either if I had to take a guess. They probably want the game to look good no matter if you are zoomed out or in. (Obvious zoomed in will look the best, but I assume they want zoomed out to look pretty good still).

However, I think most of these issues are simply Alpha related. But I will give my 2 cents on it, even though I think these issues will be ironed out eventually. The issue you speak of I feel like is broken down into three parts:

1.) Character model scale - I feel like the overall scale of the model looks slightly off, which makes objects around you (trees, buildings, etc) look unnatural.

2.) Character walking animation - The character model walking and running animation is not fully polished. Characters are too stiff, in New World the character will lean in when they start running, move their arms more naturally and there is greater "weight" to the movement of their legs. This avoids part of the "floaty" feeling.

3.) Character foot to ground connect or collision? (not sure how to word it) - This would be the other part of the floaty feeling, where, In watching people play, it sometimes looks like the foot doesn't fully connect with the ground on certain terrain.

To answer the original question: I think what New World does, better than any other MMO I've seen, is the satisfying gathering process, specifically Woodcutting and mining. The sound design of these two is phenomenal, the echo of a pick hitting a rock on a mountain as it rings out is amazing. The animation for felling trees is awesome too. I would love to see this level of detail added to AoC gathering professions.
  • maouw wrote: »

Yep, unless they add precise aim abilities - in which case being zoomed in would have its own advantages.
    signature.png
    The problem is that after a certain amount of zoom, texture details have a finite amount of depth unless you want to use more graphical resources on it. Mmos have a set limit on how many resources you can use.

Intrepid's design team knows this because it's really the most basic of basic knowledge. I assume they have skilled enough poodle to have done the calculation on 'how far put you can zoom without losing good detail.

Further zoom will always look more simple. There are ways to do this well but they are generally either more cartoonish or involve even higher processing power given the level of realism and shaders Intrepid has I chosen to use to make the macro world give a certain feel.

Otoh how far one needs to zoom out is a game mechanics decision.

Unfortunately there are three competing interests and this means somebody is going to be unhappy. Just how game design goes. I feel bad for the textures team because they are must likely getting the short end of the stick.

There are limitations to how good ashes can look at the current zoom and design priorities. There are only minor improvements they can make without changing certain key resource usage in their rendering or compromising on zoom distance. It's bad to expect they will improve much from here without someone else budging.
    Xerheart wrote: »
    While I can see the argument that when you zoom in it looks better, I don't think it is a solution, and I would imagine the developers are not happy with it either if I had to take a guess.
    It's an observation; not an argument or a solution.
    It's also Alpha One.
  • Dygz wrote: »
    It's an observation; not an argument or a solution.

Yea good point, I think I misunderstood what people were saying and I could've worded it better!
    Dygz wrote: »
    It's also Alpha One.

Yep! That's why I mentioned so In my post.

• AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    JustVine wrote: »
    Intrepid's design team knows this because it's really the most basic of basic knowledge. I assume they have skilled enough poodle to have done the calculation on 'how far put you can zoom without losing good detail.

Don't worry, they got that covered.

dsc03609.jpg

Hhak63P.png
    Atama wrote: »
    JustVine wrote: »

Don't worry, they got that covered.

dsc03609.jpg

Rip my autocorrect :D
  • When the AoC comes out, the players will forget about NW by then, lol
  • Shuiyn wrote: »
    How so?
    vs

Caveat: NW has been in and out of Beta for a while now, AoC is in Alpha.
    The pictures are useful feedback for Intrepid.
    Forum_Signature.png
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I put in about 200hrs all up in NW over the last couple of years combined, perhaps more.
    Unexpectedly thoroughly enjoyed aspects of it that have never interested me so much in mmorpgs.

The gathering was just an enjoyable such that it was way too easy to get side tracked from planned reason for passing through an area and take advantage what was found.

The integration and inter-relationship of the materials gathered with the crafting had the right feel.

Crafting was excellent.

Instanced Dungeons were nicely setup but way too easy, but just right for a laid back evening play.

Landscapes and towns were beautifully crafted.

The sounds in all areas were so well done that even the banal log cutting felt good!

Largest fault I see, which seems to be an issue across all games nowadays, is the quest for so many to consume content as fast as can to get to the end with a shallow end place. Fix that and build content it might actually stay afloat.. The recent updates in the last 24hrs give hope.

• AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2021
    @akabear That's a pretty good review and interesting.

I think the biggest dings against NW are that the PvP (which was originally advertised as being very important) was gutted, and the PvE (particularly questing) is anemic, like an afterthought.

I do think that it is nice to hear about the crafting and gathering though. I haven't heard a lot about that, either positive or negative. It's good to know that they seemed to have gotten something right.

Hhak63P.png
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Have a try, there is a beta weekend next weekend and the game goes live at the end of the month.

For all its shortfalls, NW still did a lot very well and there are lot of elements to learn from for this game`s development. Just as much for what to do as what not to do.