Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How hard is it going to be to combine class and secondary augments to play Darker Aligned Classes?

I touched on this back in June 2017, archived thread, albeit no real info back then. Now I see that with some new information on Cleric, Mage, and Rogue it might not be all that hard, but will these darker aligned classes play and feel like their mainstream MMO counterparts?

For the most part Rogue predominantly defines the Darker aligned classes, at least in name:

Primary Rogue:
+ Cleric = Cultist
+ Mage = Nightspell
+ Summoner = Shadow Lord
+ Tank = Shadow Guardian

Secondary Rogue:
+ Bard = Trickster
+ Cleric = Shadow Disciple
+ Fighter = Shadowblade
+ Mage = Shadow Caster
+ Summoner = Shadowmancer
+ Tank = Nightshield

... Yet, traditionally Rogue is heavily melee based, with poisons, and some subterfuge abilities (smoke and mirrors) that one could spin from the realm of magic I guess. I have not seen the Rogue Skill tree, so hard to tell if Ashes Rogue is more magic or melee. It would probably be in the best interest of class development if the Ashes Rogue was not the traditional Melee with smoke and poison, but actually manipulated Shadow Magic and was predominately a magic based class. This would lend more flexibility to rogue secondary augment on other primary classes than backstab, smoke bomb, and poison would.

Then you have Cleric and as Ashes describes Cleric controls Life and Death so its secondary augments can either give or take life.

Based on the Ashes definition of the its Cleric, I can see how the Summoner Primary and Cleric Secondary creates Necromancer. That said, Tank Primary and Cleric Secondary creates Paladin. For the Paladin does this mean a player could use the dark side of the Cleric augments and create a Dark Paladin or something akin to a Death Knight?

Based on the Ashes Cleric definition I guess any class you play as a primary could go Life Magic or Death Magic?

So I get where Rogue and Cleric fit into the darker side of things in Ashes, Rogue manipulating shadow magic, and being a little adept in poisons and potions and the Cleric having a dark side life steal, raise dead, control undead, pestilence etc etc., but I did hear mage might be able to control darker magic?

Mage and its elemental augments of which Ashes stated Darkness could be an elemental augment. That said for the most part Fire, Electricity, and Ice are the main elements thus far predominately discussed. So where and how does a Mage obtain the darkness element and is this darkness element just the mages version of rogues shadow magic or is it more along the lines of the Spectral and the Ethereal or is it Corrupted Arcane. I'd like to know. It would create some more interesting combinations for players to tailor there classes towards the darker side of things.

All the above said, how much are these secondary augments going to change the primary class skills so that it looks and feels like your playing an evil aligned class or a dark magic class.

For instance the Necromancer, do the secondary augments change the base spell's, sound, particles, colors, effects and damage on target.. so much that it looks and plays entirely different than its original summoner beginning? Does a Necromancer bring something to the group or raid that a summoner does not? Typically Necro isn't a class I would personally play, but if were to play a Necro I would want it to feel and play familiarly akin to mainstream MMO Necro's of course with its own Ashes spin, but I would not want it to feel and play as the base Summoner.

Similarly, now for a class I would play, the Tank main Cleric secondary, Paladin. How different is the Holy Paladin going to play from the Dark Paladin based on the Clerics secondary augments? I would hope the Holy Pal plays like a Holy Paladin and the Dark Paladin plays something akin to Death Knight, Dread Knight, and other Dark Knight classes.

Comments

• George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Class identity is hard to achieve with such systems. People prefer to mix things up.
    Ill play a typical fighter.
    I hope you get to play your dark knight
  • Actually not going play a Dark Knight this time around, or any Tank for that matter in this game. Actually really hoping I can make a Dark Ranger, but don't really see an option based on class combinations and current naming conventions. My secondary fall back will be to make something akin to Rift's Nightblade Class under the Rogue Calling.
  • ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm hoping that Death Knights are possible, tho I am sad that if that will be the case, Frost Augment won't be one 😢
    Too much love for wow still lingers
  • I asked a question like this a while ago, the punchline was pretty much we have to wait for alpha 2 and see what the augments work like
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I asked a question like this a while ago, the punchline was pretty much we have to wait for alpha 2 and see what the augments work like

It's a good punchline given Intrepid's refusal to clarify basic mechanics 5 years in.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think Shadow does not necessarily equate with Twisted.
    We still have to learn how the Twisted Path applies to classes.
    I think that the Twisted Path should not be associated with class.
    Any class (Primary Archetype + Secondary Archetype) should be able to take the Twisted Path.

Probably best if the Twisted Path were associated with Religion, rather than class.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2021
    xaices wrote: »
    For instance the Necromancer, do the secondary augments change the base spell's, sound, particles, colors, effects and damage on target.. so much that it looks and plays entirely different than its original summoner beginning? Does a Necromancer bring something to the group or raid that a summoner does not? Typically Necro isn't a class I would personally play, but if were to play a Necro I would want it to feel and play familiarly akin to mainstream MMO Necro's of course with its own Ashes spin, but I would not want it to feel and play as the base Summoner.
    It's not going to be entirely differently because augments are attached to Active Skills, so it's still going to play like a Summoner, fundamentally.
    But, a Necromancer will have access to the Cleric Death School.
    Highsword and Paladin should also have access to the Death School.
  • Hey Nightspell. I’m playing that shit idc about any other classes besides that.