Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Character progression aside from xp

I wonder if there will be an alternate way to progress our characters? If not, I guess that can always be added post-launch.
What I mean is, something that enhances the character but is not based on lvl/xp.
Typically in MMORPG we gain xp which increases the level of the character. These level generally:
1. increase the base stats;
2. allow for stronger weapons;
3. unlocks new abilities (gives points to spend in a skill tree);

But I enjoyed the traits from lotro. That is a passive boost that you get when you complete specific achievements.
For example:
1-a Kill 100 trolls in area 1 -> Gain Troll Killer trophy -> Boost Vitality +5
1-b. Kill 100 trools in area 2 -> Gain Troll Killer 2 trophy -> Boost Vitality +10
So that as you complete more and more achievements your character grows, but only if you spend the time doing it. And while it's not based on the level of the character, a low level character could get stronger then his peers (same level) by completing all the achievements before moving on to the the next area.

And the achievements shouldn't be limited to just killing mobs, there should be achievements for crafting, exploration, node participation, ...
For example, I like to wander around in the world and explore, so getting an achievement for visiting all the sub-area of a node could give the explorer achievement that gives a +5% walking speed. And maybe visiting 5, 10, 20, 40 different nodes could give something like a World Wanderer achievement that gives +5, 10, 20% steed speed.

These are example of course, it may look different but I think it always adds fun to be able to complete those achievements and get the boost.
Also, if you do it, make it relevant. It's really annoying when you spend a lot of time completing achievements to gain some boosts but all you get at max level is say +5 vitality when you already have 10000. That's just a fake boost.

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Social org progression
    Religious progression
    Artisan progression
    Node progression
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Social org progression
    Node progression
    These are not character progression, they are world.
    Artisan progression
    This gives no perk to the character (ie +strength)
    Religious progression
    I don't know how this one works.

If that is all, then it means the only character (more combat power) progression is XP bound.
    Which is fine, I was just hoping for character progression that is not xp bound.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Nalfeind
    Hey, I think you're misunderstanding a key point about the progression systems that Dygz listed:
    • Node progression - if you want to build endgame gear, you will need to build and tear-down nodes to get the materials to craft your gear
    • Artisan progression - is what you will rely on to both make money and make your gear
    • Religious progression - gives you access to special augments you cannot normally acquire
    • Social Organization progression - gives access to special augments you cannot normally acquire

They are very relevant to progression
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    They all add to character progression.
    Artisan progression may not necessarily add much to Adventurer progression, but it's definitely character progression.
  • Options
    NalfeindNalfeind Member
    edited September 2021
    So for religion, as one progresses in his religion:

1. he could unlock special items, say a holy relic and/or holy symbol and the character would have two slots to equip the relic and symbol and these would give some sort of bonus? (If not items per day, they could be equipable virtues or something like that.)

2. or would it more like he can unlock a holy shield which can be used instead of his regular shield. It just has a special perk on it. Like it has protection against the dark arts.

I would prefer the first option because otherwise if you don't actively work on upgrading your religion, your special shield quickly becomes obsolete as you level up.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2021
    The augments are skill augments. So they might not increase power vertically, but horizontally, and add options to builds. https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Augments
  • Options
    I hope Material gathering or crafting will incrase Xp so people who dont really like to do dungeon and Raid would still not fall too behind.
    Nalfeind wrote: »

But I enjoyed the traits from lotro. That is a passive boost that you get when you complete specific achievements.
    For example:
    1-a Kill 100 trolls in area 1 -> Gain Troll Killer trophy -> Boost Vitality +5
    1-b. Kill 100 trools in area 2 -> Gain Troll Killer 2 trophy -> Boost Vitality +10

Sound a bit like an Manwha I am reading (Taming Master) Like one of the character got so high into cooking skills that now her food legendary quality and can add few stats to people who eats it

• Options
    I think Social Orgs and Religions are supposed to do that rather than crafting.
  • Options
    I think Social Orgs and Religions are supposed to do that rather than crafting.

I do think Artisana would need its own Perks.
    Like u get so good at crafting armor that u learn how to make legendary type or With 1 additionnal enchantment.
    Or your cooking skill are so good that your food add temporary buff to it.

It would give a name of Artisant driven people. And incrase the value of their goods over the other players
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Character progression aside from xp?

It's called money and gear.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    I love to explore different regions, so I hope there's gonna be a traveller trophy of some kind.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nalfeind wrote: »
    I love to explore different regions, so I hope there's gonna be a traveller trophy of some kind.

Oh yeah. More than any other MMORPG that I can think of, this game needs that. Because while in most MMOs it's trivial to get from one place to another thanks to flying mounts, teleportation, fast travel systems, and so on. it will probably require a lot of time (and risk from the environment and players alike) to explore the world. I think a trophy like this would have a lot of prestige because it takes some actual guts to pull that off.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    One dev stream, I remember Steven saying that they will add progression systems to many aspects of the game. The examples he gave are caravan defending and attacking, and the bounty hunter system. I assume these systems will increase or decrease your reputation with different factions (no source, just a guess) and maybe provide a type of talent tree that affect these gameplay systems (also need source on this).

This can also be applied to other aspects of the game, like siegeing, professions, dungeoneering. If you are looking for progression paths that are not specifically xp for leveling, there should be plenty.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I have a strong dislike of 'do this thing to get this permanent progression' outside of leveling.

I'm sure I've voiced the concern itself before, though. tl;dr I don't like systems where getting something that cannot be taken from you, competes with the time required to get something that can be taken from you, because it has a negative long-term effect on players who choose the second path.

If Nodes level up without too much 'specific effort' then it doesn't matter.

All I want is 'titles or rep that are tied to your ability to receive random quests'. Since this game isn't going to be one of those 'You can just NPC this quest reward item for big cash', it'd be nice for explorers, roleplayers, etc.

A known explorer simply gets more quests than someone who focuses entirely on leveling, in nearly any node they go to. Maybe some 'tier' between 'nobody/newbody' and 'Node Citizen'. I would think this would also influence their enjoyment since by nature, Explorers would spend a lot of time in or near nodes that they are not citizens of.

Other things like 'part of a successful Patron Guild for X time' or 'Served as a Mayor for more than one term'. But again, not 'hey my character gets this permanent buff' or 'my character gets this really useful item' (no issues with temporary buffs, even up to 24h ingame duration, though even these often lead to the same behaviour type).

Stuff more like 'Offers to repair your armor for free or for a small errand'. The sort of thing that would act as an alternate for a roleplayer or explorer, so that they don't have to have a specific whole 'second way of making money' or even of getting XP at the same rate.

"Training up your character level and becoming powerful and rich" is a potential path to 'becoming part of a group, making friends and building up a node'. "Becoming part of a group and building up a node" can lead to 'raising your character level and becoming powerful' if it's not disrupted, but 'rich' is a little harder.

"Exploring the world and learning about various things" probably shouldn't lead directly to 'raising your character level and becoming rich' on the same level, but maybe acting as a 'way to open up other paths to that for those who want or need it' would be nice.

(no point in asking me what I want for this as a whole, I'm not actually much of the type that would use this, I just know of people who would)
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    "Exploring the world and learning about various things" probably shouldn't lead directly to 'raising your character level and becoming rich' on the same level, but maybe acting as a 'way to open up other paths to that for those who want or need it' would be nice.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not expecting more damage output, but it's expect an increase in walking/steed speed, increase carrying capacity (since we're going far) and maybe something related to resource gathering as well.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    That makes me feel like I would be running faster than the fastest mounts by Level 25.
    Also, I'm not sure how one calculates "traveling far". Especially depending on where the Starting Portal is.
    Steps taken doesn't necessarily mean far from a village.

My Bartles Score is Explorer 87%; Socializer 73% ; Achiever 47%; Killer 0%
    Those two options seem like strange rewards to me.
    But, sure, I'm sure the devs could come up with other options besides just those two.

In terms of trophies - I'd love to be able to pick up trophies from points of interest and display them in my home(s).