Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Armor and class

Will armor in this game be for one class only, or should some be made for more than that; for example if the wrap-cross i mentioned in a different thread can be intended for female rogues and bards (assuming the latter is programmed to dance as well as sing), or if tanks can use platemail but not chainmail?

Comments

• Options
    ShadonSolShadonSol Moderator, Member, Alpha One
    Every armor can be used by every class / race / gender.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    IronhopeIronhope Member
    edited September 2021
    What I really fear, regarding gear, is the following scenario:

30653064_1783524041715453_3866090467619766272_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_eui2=AeFNy98UawWbDyNZxMPQViiydUzBCh-WRZJ1TMEKH5ZFkjps04wWzDNkVfFeZ6YkPPvJ7a86PRO2DGfPn5Zx6xro&_nc_ohc=mP1JgbdpgHUAX-tLJDc&_nc_oc=AQkP6a5qUmki2OZXMOAbdVv6i-t4pFDZfVReSVTxZnbWioNrEsaIbEhCbtgmT35m4HA&_nc_ht=scontent.fotp3-3.fna&oh=c835f8caf8798616be5174c5f55f2ed5&oe=6159ABCB

5lyaeu.jpg

''Sure you're free to use any gear you want mr Cleric... its just that anything besides cloth and a staff will make you suck, so have fun out there!''

Of course some combos just won't work (yeah... I don't imagine that plate assassin being such a big thing, but who knows) so well but I seriously hope it's more than the standard ''warriors wear plate only, rogues leather only, casters cloth only'' fantasy-mmo=rpg standard.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You fear everything.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    You fear everything.

We're on an early alpha forum, we're here to express what development paths we would like to see in this game and what development paths we wouldn't.

Yes I fear bad game design and if I didn't give particular examples (warnings to the devs to avoid) then I would understand your negativism but since I do and explain exactly what is bad, why and why it should be avoided, I see no basis for your continous attacks.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2021
    You are just discussing your made up fears, though.
    "I'm afraid the Sun could explode tomorrow..."
    "Hey, devs! You should try not to make a bad game."
  • Options
    CadrorCadror Member
    edited September 2021
    ShadonSol wrote: »
    Every armor can be used by every class / race / gender.

Going to a barely alternate topic for a sec: how much of a chance is there that the example armor i mentioned does make it into AoC? The reason I suggested it is cause it's somewhere around an uncommon to rare type of clothing.
  • Options
    Yeah it seems like ashes went with the wear whatever you want route, which i think is kinda boring imo.
    If everyone is uniqe, no one is.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Almost all gear will be crafted:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Armor

Stats on gear

Crafters will be able to assign different skills/abilities and stats on gear.[18][19]

Master crafters will be able to influence several (but not all) stats on their crafted items.[18][20]
    Stats on crafted items will vary based on the item's rarity.[21]
    There will also be methods of moving stat blocks around but this won't necessarily be an easy task.[18]
    All gear will be able to be assigned any stat.[18]

Crafters will be able to 'rejigger' stat blocks; and there will be a couple of other ways to move things around to create both the look and the stat block that you're looking for. It's not always going to be easy. There will be a lot of challenges involved with that. But the goal is to give you guys the option to customize your gear the way you want them to be.[18] – Jeffrey Bard

Not all armor sets will be the cookie cutter kind of set. They will have the influences from the crafter available in it, if it's a crafted set.[19] – Steven Sharif

Gear is broken down into Core Stats and Additional Stats.[22]

So crafting full plate that is good for a mage might be possible and I hope it is. A mage wearing full plate wielding a 2 handed sword would be awesome and people not paying attention would be very surprised.

To head off concern before but but but...

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/PvP

Threat assessment

Players will have a buff on their nameplate that indicates the gear set they are wearing. Other players will be able to see this buff by targeting that player at a distance.[25][26][27]

This will indicate the type of gear (cloth, leather, plate) that they are predominantly wearing.[26]
    The border will indicate the level and quality of the tier set.[25][26][28]
    This also indicates if the gear is enchanted.[26][28]
    The developers believe that inspecting gear to obtain an exact equipment list or gear score may lead to "unwelcome behavior".[29]

When you see a player approaching you and they're wearing a transmog you know you don't know if that person is a high damage mitigation against physical damage or against magical damage and essentially the way we overcome that is through you being able to target a player at a distance and they will have a buff that's present on them that you will see, which indicates that essentially the piece set that they are wearing. It is important for players to be able to ascertain from a threat assessment standpoint you know what they're going up against if they're actively checking that and that will be available.[27] – Steven Sharif

Being by default able to see a person's "gear score" / equipment list... may cause unwelcome behavior.[29]
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.