Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Has a naming policy been declared?

Tried to find information on a naming policy and wasn't successful. I am hoping there will be one that will limit some of the more ridiculous names people come up with. Perhaps have at least one server which limits the names to a more roleplay type atmosphere. I remember DAOC had roleplay servers which limited the naming to actual names. WOW started out with possible good intentions but there seem to be more and more names that go against the policy these days. At least they give us the option to report names.

Comments

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Here is what we know so far:
    Characters will have a first-name and an optional surname (last name).[68]

There is a minimum length of three for a character name.[69]
    Character names will appear on the character sheet and optionally on the character website page.[17]

In-game a character's name is displayed above their head. This can be the first or last name.[17]

Having a vote or RP only name server is very doubtful. We know Intrepid's current intent is to not have different server types.

It also gets really hard to argue what is a legit "Role-playing" name. I mean, Steven used the name (Sorcerer) in ArcheAge which is an okay MMORPG name, but I would not allow it as a DM at my table personally. Not without at least some creative/clever backstory to explain why someone is using a class name as a character name.

Personally, I am not confident that having a vote for names would be good for a game like Ashes. The game is going to be highly competitive. I could see guilds mass reporting people's names just to spite them.

I hate shitty names too, but I don't think it should be a big enough deal that it becomes actionable in some way.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    I hope the game has standards for names. The 'lol' group is a bad joke.

Mass reporting names should be have repercussions for the guild.

You don't throw away the garden hose because someone may spray someone else.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    pyreal wrote: »

You do if the spigot is hooked into the septic tank.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    It would be nice if they made you unable to use numbers or spaces. The shitshow of names in New World is a perfect example of too much freedom.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    pyreal wrote: »

You do if the spigot is hooked into the septic tank.

This caught me off guard.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »
    It would be nice if they made you unable to use numbers or spaces. The shitshow of names in New World is a perfect example of too much freedom.

Numbers and symbols sure but since they said you're going to have a first and last name you're probably going to get one space automatically put in... If you do two names.
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited September 2021
    I'm just not looking forward to seeing players walking around with the xX<name>Xx format.
  • Options
    Ravudha wrote: »
    I'm just not looking forward to seeing players walking around with the xX<name>Xx format.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47i6g8ijtonwrqekol9jvi4bioh65pzrrs0taca7he&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

These kinds of names really really trigger me...
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    I don't mind restrictions to limit the ridiculous.

I miss my Trooper named "Dave" in Knights of the Old Republic though. Servers merged and "Dave" was no longer acceptable and was forced changed. :-/
  • Options
    Shoklen wrote: »
    Servers merged and "Dave" was no longer acceptable and was forced changed. :-/

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47z1vdk8n105vuv1jyzn2htglekcfogp0ebfhtj3qd&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
  • Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As long as ` is still allowed, as well as æ, ø and so on, then yeah they should ban spaces and so on. Special letters and ` are a must for naming tho
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2021
    I'm also not sure how easy it is to filter xXnameXx, because if you filter xX, then we still have oO or worse: IlI, and then qnamep or dlnamelb and then we go assymetric wnamevv

personally, I'm keen to use maouwUwU
    I kid, I kid. :D

uwu
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    Ravudha wrote: »

Im gonna name my character xX<Hello Kitty>Xx just to annoy you XD
  • Options
    GrilledCheeseMojitoGrilledCheeseMojito Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Shoklen wrote: »
    I don't mind restrictions to limit the ridiculous.

I miss my Trooper named "Dave" in Knights of the Old Republic though. Servers merged and "Dave" was no longer acceptable and was forced changed. :-/

I hope we never get here. I definitely want to have situations like a PvP villain with a massive bounty on his head having a name that's just "Harold".

Voting and word filters almost always backfire. At the end of the day the only real solution is a capable, well staffed GM team and real consequences for repeat offenders.
    Grilled cheese always tastes better when you eat it together!
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I feel like suggesting 'more suitable name equivalents' can help some people, but the code for that is an uphill battle against the likes of xXxSSGSSGogeta134xXx
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Be nice if they copied other newer ideas that assign a number to your name with the #1111 format. So that people can have the same name and won't get stuck in the naming screen for an hour.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    Conrad wrote: »
    As long as ` is still allowed, as well as æ, ø and so on, then yeah they should ban spaces and so on. Special letters and ` are a must for naming tho

I don't hate spaces.
    I made one of those plant people in GW2, and colored him black with a red glow so he looked like he was burnt and called him 'the chared one' I think names with spaces CAN be fine.
    It's just like the weird characters though, it depends what people do with it. Some people just use the weird character so they can sneak words by the "that's inappropriate filter."
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Spaces are optimal of the possible 'evils'. Abuses of it lead to slightly annoying but still readable not totally immersion breaking names. ~are the second worse just by virtue of being close enough to 'fancy font' but are obviously worse than spaces. X's get into video gamey territory but at least its like... Trying to get a concept across and isn't commonly used. Once you get into numbers and pther tripple letters the whole system devices into chaos.

I personally preffer 'family name must be unique but given name not' while restricting numbers spaces and punctuation other than an apostrophe. Weird ass last names are much more tolerable when your first name can be 'Dave' or 'Monica' without worrying about it already being taken. Especially in a fantasy setting where weird letter combos feel immersive/standard fare.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »
    personally, I'm keen to use maouwUwU
    I kid, I kid. :D

uwu

Dammit, you made me snort my cereal... :D