Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

GW2 progression

maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
For people who played GW2 - how did you feel about the way you explore/progress through GW2?

I only played for about a week, my experience was:
  1. accept all quests in the area
  2. interrupted by local event
  3. return to standard quests
  4. area complete, next area!
This was fun for... a week. Then it suddenly felt really repetitive - but I can't put my finger on why.
Does anyone else feel this way?
I wish I were deep and tragic

Comments

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I played for about 10 days at launch. I really tried to like it.
    The leveling was weak. Tried doing the events there was zero team work. I ran a test to see how soon you could unlock all the weapon upgrades. For Mesmer was like level 3.
    I stopped playing at an event/ open world boss. He got dragged from his place to a bridge and it became an endless Hogger raid. People just rezzing and getting one shot over and over and over. That is when I logged out and uninstalled.
    A lot of people really like the Zerg mentality to each their own.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    There's an interesting mechanic in GW2 where the longer a particular spawn has been alive, the more XP it gives. As far as I'm aware, the most effective way to level is to go to places you think other players wouldn't think to go, kill mobs exactly once, and run around to as many new places as possible. The XP multipliers can be really large, so you can speedrun from level 1 to max really quickly like this. Built-in novelty.
    mmo design essays: http://beaushinkle.xyz/
  • Options
    GW2 map is well done. But I dont like that spells are tied to Weapons. And That there is no actual roles. I love to heal. But its a hit everything try to survive no healer kind of game and i dont really like it. I think they flopped on that over the first one.

The puzzle were quite nice i found
  • Options
    SirChancelotSirChancelot Member
    edited September 2021
    I liked the everything helped you level aspect. You could explore, you could quest, you could craft, or just kill a ton of mobs... hell I loved and hated the platforming jumping puzzles.
    All of it helped advance you. I appreciated that.

I know I'm about to get flame sprayed for this because ashes is going to be nothing like it, but.
    I actually liked GW2 pvp too. I liked that it gave everyone the same level gear and abilities access so it all came down to your build and skill. I loved knowing that when I won it was because I was out playing them.
  • Options
    I loved GW2 progression for the first play through. After that is was just repetitive and no very fun. Endgame was also rough because it was just a grind of resources and running with a zerg to kill shit over and over. World vs World was one of my favorite forms of PvP in any MMO and I absolutely loved zergbusting with my guild. That died for me when they changed stability into stacks.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    GW2 felt like Knott’s Berry Farm, a theme park, but not a great one. I wanted to like it, but it felt repetitive and empty. The art stylization and color palate was beautiful though.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I found GW2 to be repetitive both the first time (launch) and second time (about two years ago) that I played it.

The local events they have are great - if you come across one every few days. When you are coming across a few an hour though, they start to feel like a chore.

This was the same issue I had with the rifts in Rift. They were great for a while, but got old real quick. Same with ESO's dark anchors (and Oblivions Oblivion portals for that matter).

Content that feels the same as the thing you just did is never really that fun. I'd rather just have a map full of mobs for me to kill as I see fit, and make my own fun.