Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

When I get to pick my name..

MahesMahes Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I am hoping that Intrepid is keeping an eye on Amazon's New World's latest debacle.

To review,

Amazon has chosen to stagger their game release based around Time Zones. This kind of makes since in that it helps to stagger initial server load onto the central system. The mistake they made was restricting the names chosen by a player to all servers regardless of time zone. This means that if I wanted to choose Mahes as my name, I either have to log into the European server at the same time as the world, or hope that nobody chooses it before the East Coast release. The name can only be used once, regardless of server or timezone cluster.

This will lead to the exact opposite of what they were choosing to do by staggering the release. The European Server will be hit by every player who cares about reserving a name, which will be most. Yes a player can add an X or use a symbol to replace a letter but it is not the same. Amazon might as well time the release for all servers to open at the same time.

Sit back and enjoy the show as the European server crashes due to 150,000(Conservative) players attempting to all log on at the exact same time.

Intrepid please study and learn from this, as you guys already have a challenge revolving around certain players being able to choose their name before the open public.

Comments

• Options
    Meh - names shouldn’t be unique in an mmo. I’ve always thought that was a flawed design. If you have 50 people with the same name across 50,000 players, who cares?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Same as in real life. Many people have same names. In real civilization they would too. I dont care if there is multiples peoples with same name as me
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2021
    ptitoine wrote: »
    Same as in real life. Many people have same names. In real civilization they would too. I dont care if there is multiples peoples with same name as me

This is why names should come last. Only matters if the names have same sex, race, and class combos. Limit names to one per account and bam. Built in diversity even though there are same names available. Yeah some people will get confused and gave trouble but that technically happens irl. I think it needs those limiters though.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2021
    I honestly never really thought about this... and you are right, the name system should be updated to make sense. The only downfall to removing the name limit would be someone making a character with the same name as someone else and acting a fool on the server under that players name. This can actually be pretty annoying as I have had this happen to me in Rust (then again, it was Rust).

If they do something like Blizzard has done where there can be any number of players of the same name but we are all separated by our account names (I think this is how it works...it's been a while), this would be acceptable. I don't mind sharing the name Khronus but I DEFINITELY don't want to NOT have the name. This would be a terrible experience (especially after paying into Alpha 1).
  • Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited September 2021
    New World's design regarding character names reflects their ability to code and fix problems: it's low effort, to say the least.

Unique global names are an absolutely horrendous way to handle this issue, they should be unique based on the server cluster, at most.

I'm 100% sure Intrepid won't make such mistakes.
    Khronus wrote: »
    I DEFINITELY don't want to NOT have the name. This would be a terrible experience (especially after paying into Alpha 1).

I agree on this. I hope AoC gives priority to backers to create their characters before the official launch.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    What I'd find most amusing is if Amazon forget to assign streamers with their names.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Noaani wrote: »
    What I'd find most amusing is if Amazon forget to assign streamers with their names.

Oh you KNOW this is going to happen.

Most streamers I know have a collection of alternative pseudonyms that they'll use though. Sometimes they'll even go "c8dg09cj" for a name in an attempt to curb stream sniping :D
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    MahesMahes Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    EU servers are getting hit like a freight train.

PLEASE learn from this Intrepid. People DO care about names.
  • Options
    JiraiyaJiraiya Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's honestly surprising how many people don't value the unique name system. I found it to be a very important to any game I play. Yes, in real life there are people with the same name - but 1, this is real life and 2, when you see a real unique name it stands out to you.

I think instead of having a time to login and reserve your name it should be done a few weeks in advance. The names should be selected and just be waiting to be input into the system after each player chooses their name.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Jiraiya wrote: »
    It's honestly surprising how many people don't value the unique name system. I found it to be a very important to any game I play. Yes, in real life there are people with the same name - but 1, this is real life and 2, when you see a real unique name it stands out to you.

I think instead of having a time to login and reserve your name it should be done a few weeks in advance. The names should be selected and just be waiting to be input into the system after each player chooses their name.

Given that the chances of Steven isn't going with my brilliant solution to this whole thing are low, I agree. It should be open in advanced for those who have name reservations. I think Beta 2 should essentially 'let people create their Release Character' in advanced. Let the rest fight it out.

Rules of Acquisition #32 The early investor reaps the most interest.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    To be able to reserve my name, i need to have background information about naming conventions for each races.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I didn't get to pick my name in New world today. Also, our guild name was taken because that was also on the 1 per world only list. I don't care too much because I expect new world to be dead in 12 months but still, it sucks lol
  • Options
    I thought Ashes was doing name-reservations in order, based on Pack bought? This'll surely be before go-live.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I have like 3 names I want to have dibs on, 2 of which probably will get taken before it's even my turn in the queue. Nevertheless, I want to be sure the name reservation is fair and not then fucked over because of whatever reason.

Now... im not sure whether I want devs to lock us to 1 name reservation or more... I probably won't alt, but names are names
  • Options
    3Snap3Snap Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I know this is a bit of a necro, but only just found this thread lol.

Honestly, I think they should change names so that anyone can have any name, with a Hidden from chat code attached to their character #45172. that only shows up on their character sheet or on friends lists. That way there is no restrictions to names. Something similar to diablo 3.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Dishonestly, I agree with you.
  • Options
    I would prefer one unique name for each race and primary archetype, so there could be many characters named the same thing but it would be easy to differentiate.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Please check the wiki for relevant information concerning the plans for naming and name reservation. Ashes never had the worry of doing what New World did. Names are not account, they are server specific, even for those that reserve.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    YuyukoyayYuyukoyay Member
    edited November 2021
    The problem is needing to reserve the names to begin with. Like 10 games already solved this problem and not copying them at this point would be taking a step backward in this department.

The new way they do it is by sticking an invisible number code onto your names at the end. Only your friends can actually see this number code as it is also your friend code. This allows every account to have any unique name they want once.

Doing this would also cut down on the non immersive names like buttlicker420. I don't care if there are 100 aragorns on the server because there are probably 1 million Bens in real life. Probably like 100 million Johns in real life.

It's not a big deal if people have the same names. It's more of an issue if they have stupid names because all of the normal ones are taken. This may seem like a non issue but it really isn't. This is actually one of the most important decisions for the games future you can make. You want people to be attached to their characters. If you force them to name them Buttlicker420 that makes it really hard to do so.

I've known people who quit WoW because they couldn't get past the character name screen. 1 Unique name per server is outdated and stupid. This is probably the number 1 thing this game needs to fix. Since worse games have already fixed it.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    The problem is needing to reserve the names to begin with. Like 10 games already solved this problem and not copying them at this point would be taking a step backward in this department.

The new way they do it is by sticking an invisible number code onto your names at the end. Only your friends can actually see this number code as it is also your friend code. This allows every account to have any unique name they want once.

Doing this would also cut down on the non immersive names like buttlicker420. I don't care if there are 100 aragorns on the server because there are probably 1 million Bens in real life. Probably like 100 million Johns in real life.

It's not a big deal if people have the same names. It's more of an issue if they have stupid names because all of the normal ones are taken. This may seem like a non issue but it really isn't. This is actually one of the most important decisions for the games future you can make. You want people to be attached to their characters. If you force them to name them Buttlicker420 that makes it really hard to do so.

I've known people who quit WoW because they couldn't get past the character name screen. 1 Unique name per server is outdated and stupid. This is probably the number 1 thing this game needs to fix. Since worse games have already fixed it.

Nevetwinter is a shit mmo, but it uses ID as part of your name identification. Literally your "charname"@username
    This way, you can make any name but you're always differently identified.
  • Options
    JontaJonta Member
    edited November 2021
    JustVine wrote: »
    Jiraiya wrote: »

Given that the chances of Steven isn't going with my brilliant solution to this whole thing are low, I agree. It should be open in advanced for those who have name reservations. I think Beta 2 should essentially 'let people create their Release Character' in advanced. Let the rest fight it out.

Rules of Acquisition #32 The early investor reaps the most interest.

Ye thats the fair way to do it, I can choose and save my name because I was in Beta , the rest of you can go stuff yourselves.

I hope the sarcasm isnt wasted .....
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Meh - names shouldn’t be unique in an mmo. I’ve always thought that was a flawed design. If you have 50 people with the same name across 50,000 players, who cares?

I agree, but I cannot think of a solution to a few problems that would bring.

Namely receiving whispers and or mail from people not in a friend's list or guild.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    Pay to reserve the name? , (not including old AoC packages).
    Would that be right or wrong?
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    Unless they allow multiple players to have the same name, you need to have quite a few options ready when you first log in and start playing. Otherwise, the name selection tends to go like this:
    "...sorry, that name is already taken."

2 hours later, player just settles on a random, stupid name just so they can finally play the damn game. lol
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Is that what happened with your forum account?