Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Suggestion for Horse Mounts

I just finished watching the September development update and a couple things came to mind when I was looking at the new horse mount. I love that Intrepid took the time to animate a natural riding position and movement for the player WRT all of the horse mounts and mounts that move similar to horses (i.e. deer, etc). Usually players remain a lot more static in the saddle so I'm happy that a lot of attention was given to those details.

However, I'm always jarred with the sudden stop on the horse mounts and the limitation to walk and gallop (or canter). Horses don't naturally do a sliding stop from a run every time and unless the player makes a sudden stop, it would be more natural to have horse and horse-similar mounts go from canter > trot > walk > stop. It would be great to see the ability to stay in any of the four gaits at some point and I think that would add a lot more realism for the mounts. Thanks for all the hard work, it's looking awesome as always!

Comments

• maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's so cool that they've put so much detail into the animations!
    Makes me really excited for the polished product!

While I can appreciate where this idea is coming from, I think the realism here will conflict with useability - if all the mounts were horses and/or behaved like horses - then I think it would work better, but otherwise this is a straight-up nerf to horses compared to other mounts, which will lead to nobody riding horses.

Do you see where I'm coming from?
    I wish I were deep and tragic