Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

On the node map simulation from the Sept. 24. dev update.

NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited September 2021 in General Discussion
https://youtu.be/tVWJQY8K8NY?t=1824 (roughly 30 minutes in)

I noticed that contrary to what the wiki suggests, we see that nodes in the node map simulation don't lock out adjacent nodes until they are tier 3 / village level.

From the wiki:
Neighboring/Adjacent nodes from Expedition (stage 1) upward block the growth of their immediate neighbors. This is intended to be tested in Alpha-1.

And indeed in the Alpha 1 they worked that way. In the simulation they seem to have changed that to only start locking out adjacent nodes from lvl 3. We see a lot of adjacent lvl 2 nodes in the simulation, so they are at least toying with that idea. Maybe they'll test that system in Alpha 2.

It also means we potentially end up with all nodes being active on a server. Not citizen-wise obviously, but there will still be merchants to sell stuff to. Realistically I am sure some nodes will atrophy again, unless Intrepid is really good at spreading out content to all ZOI.

And just for fun I started writing down some area names/biomes from the map in no particular order. There are a couple I can't quite read. Some mountains and what looks like Alp-something.
  • Fjords
  • Iceland
  • Redwood Forest
  • Tropics
  • Badlands
  • Riverlands
  • Volcano
  • Jungle
  • Desert
  • Tundra
  • Taiga
  • Swamp
  • Grasslands
  • Magical Forest
  • Ancient Forest
  • Asian (?)
  • Icy Glacier

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I wouldn't look too far in to that simulation.

We know they want to test out various scenarios with nodes, and we have no real idea what the settings of that specific simulation were - we don't even know what settings they have for it.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I laughed when someone said in chat "Time to whip out the magnifying glass"
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    maouw wrote: »
    I laughed when someone said in chat "Time to whip out the magnifying glass"

'Right there! Enhance!'

Their model looks good, though I'm really surprised they showed it at all. Then again, reverse engineering it doesn't do most people or other companies any actual good, and honestly you can just use the map editors in old games like SMAC to do burst tests, or write your own.

Sometimes it's really scary to think of the fact that a studio as 'small' as Intrepid is pushing forward with something like this and yet somehow not getting all their concepts stolen and brought to market before they can by some bigger company.

Proliferation and reverse design engineers alone, should mess with this, but I guess the MMO genre really has been waiting for the... Sandal Lord, I think it is? For all these years. So no matter how this turns out, I'm super thankful to Steven and Intrepid for sounding the wake-up call as loud as possible.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    It's a visual representation of how the world map interacts with each of the zones of influences as players migrate showing the rise and fall of nodes and their vassals as new vassals becomes the new power etc. As Steven mentioned, they're not showing their data collected in the simulation and exactly how that translates to their tech side of things. It's all information publicly known from their wiki and streams. Very cool to see! I like the idea of splitting the zones of influence :smile:

@Nerror I thought there wasn't allowed to be two of the same node levels touching either but for the simulations purpose, perhaps there is different rulesets for nodes under level 3? there are some touching in different zones that do not share boarders in the zone of influence that are level 3.

I will a look at a bit more to get a better understanding :smile:
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    It does appear that node levels 0, 1, 2 are allowed to touch each other regardless of zones of influence or boarders touching but anything 3+ does not seem to neighbour one and another regardless of being in the same zones or sharing boarders

IE: you wont see two or more level 3 nodes touching, two or more level 4 nodes touching, same for level 5, and well, 6 is pretty obvious
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Another cool thing I noticed is how the parent/vassal node connections could cross large distances over the ocean. We can see it several times during the simulation.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Nerror wrote: »
    Another cool thing I noticed is how the parent/vassal node connections could cross large distances over the ocean. We can see it several times during the simulation.

Exactly, seeing how the nodes connect to one another through different mechanics aside from just being direct neighbours was interesting. You can see the lines connecting them. Node types will matter :smile: but yes, they also represent how the higher level connects directly to the descending value as well.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Look at the map at 39:07. See how the metropolis at D-31 connects to the nodes differently.
    P-17 is another good example

@ 39:31 p-17 fell and its Level 5 vassal at N-22 got its own empire by the way they're connected together. Very cool examining this.

@ 46:27 level 2 vassal at E-25 connects to a level 5 node at B-27 and another level 5 node at F-27. very interesting :wink:
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/tVWJQY8K8NY?t=1824 (roughly 30 minutes in)

I noticed that contrary to what the wiki suggests, we see that nodes in the node map simulation don't lock out adjacent nodes until they are tier 3 / village level.

From the wiki:
    Neighboring/Adjacent nodes from Expedition (stage 1) upward block the growth of their immediate neighbors. This is intended to be tested in Alpha-1.

And indeed in the Alpha 1 they worked that way. In the simulation they seem to have changed that to only start locking out adjacent nodes from lvl 3. We see a lot of adjacent lvl 2 nodes in the simulation, so they are at least toying with that idea. Maybe they'll test that system in Alpha 2.

It also means we potentially end up with all nodes being active on a server. Not citizen-wise obviously, but there will still be merchants to sell stuff to. Realistically I am sure some nodes will atrophy again, unless Intrepid is really good at spreading out content to all ZOI.

And just for fun I started writing down some area names/biomes from the map in no particular order. There are a couple I can't quite read. Some mountains and what looks like Alp-something.
    • Fjords
    • Iceland
    • Redwood Forest
    • Tropics
    • Badlands
    • Riverlands
    • Volcano
    • Jungle
    • Desert
    • Tundra
    • Taiga
    • Swamp