Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Fact-Check My Planned RP, Please!

You're all welcome to point out any holes, mis-conceptions, or anything contrary to known AoC lore. Here's what's fleshed-out, so far:

For now, my main toon will just be referred to as "Ahl" - since somewhere in his name I'll have 'Ahl'; It's not a good, finished Elven name. Elf is my default at the moment, as in the past, I've played *WAY* too many Humans in MMO's.

Ahl's to be an artistocratic scholar with depth perception issues; He's no good with a bow. He *may* sport an eye-patch, for the entire life of the game. His family line decends from a tradition of service with the Verdant Keeper: a group for which we have some minimal Lore already established by the Wiki, whose primary responsibility is to track and ensure the availability of the proper infastructure for civilization to survive and grow. Working alongside scholars and Verdant Keeper members from all of the races on Sanctus, he has no inherent racism against the primary races. However, he will view all of the races of Verra - particuarily the Tulnar - with reserved suspicion and distrust. (Sanctans won't inherently know about the Tulnar until travelling to Verra). This will stem from his knowledge of the Corruption.

While most of the peoples of Sanctus largely regard tales of magic, undead, and invading aliens from another world as hogwash or legend, there is still massive public acceptance that our ancestors all came from Verra - another world; While it's been thousands of years, everyone's ancestors have universally passed down this knowledge. However, there are plenty of sects on Sanctus - amongst every race - that hold strong in the belief that the gods exist and that so too does magic and the "Essence" that fuels it. While the planet of Sanctus is void of magic and has a very weak flow of Essence through it's plane of existence, the Essence is nonetheless there, for those who are willing to learn to feel it. It's like practicing Qigong or higher-order Yoga in real life: You can't explain to someone what it is to become sensitive to Qi; They have to feel it for themselves after learning a much deeper practice.

Having been involved in like-practices for decades, Ahl is eager to feel the difference in the flow of Essence that will no doubt come with being on Verran soil. He is determined to explore Verra quickly and to begin piecing together the missing parts of the races' clouded and now-mysterious pasts. Ahl is amongst the first of the Elven scholars to volunteer to take part in the settlement and investigatory parties that hope to travel through the Divine Gateways that are - even now - slowly coming back to life. The legends warn of the Corruption that came with the Harbingers, though - and Ahl will treat this like we view radiation; Any peoples who remained on Verra at the Exodus are probably "contaminated", in his mind.

While some are coming to Verra from Sanctus hoping for economic opportunities or fame, Ahl's migration will be quite intellectual, in purpose. His family's already from the upper class of Sanctus; He's not worried about establishing income nor where his money will be coming from (to emphasize this, I've got that red, French-looking petticoat from the February 2021 "Royal" customization pack.... It's not determined yet if I'll have the Royal Corgi following him around in-game, though). His family line values service to the community far more than they do their coffers, anyways.

In-short: Elf, prob equivalent age of 25-30 human years old, wealthy artisocrat, Scientific Node resident, will grow food and prob have Scribe as profession (if it makes it in), racist against Tulnar and the Verran sub-races - but not genocidal, will travel/explore constantly, possibly owns a Corgi, and has depth-perception issues.

Any holes or contradictions, so far?

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Everybody has a plan, until they get PKed in the mouth.

Better git gud with that bow buddy.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What is 'pk'd in the mouth' supposed to mean exactly?
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    It's not supposed to be the thing that causes you to miss the big picture, trapping you in the search of a meaning that's not there. It's just a bit of harmless trolling.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Is he going on a quest to find Dirhem the Dwarf and get some bifocals made so he can master the bow and thus enter into the pleasure of his peers?
  • Options
    Nice job. I can help him explore Verra, for the right price.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Everybody has a plan, until they get PKed in the mouth.

Better git gud with that bow buddy.

Haha! This part's just the character roleplay; I still intend on doing everything available to us, in the game.

I've been wondering if there will be rewards or achievements for gathering up enough Corruption. It's intended as a punishment system, but Corruption is also quite vital to the world's lore, after all.

pyreal wrote: »
    Is he going on a quest to find Dirhem the Dwarf and get some bifocals made so he can master the bow and thus enter into the pleasure of his peers?

I'm quite curious to see what our options for eyewear will be, in Ashes! Healing on Sanctus would be limited to only what can happen naturally or non-magical healing aides.

CROW3 wrote: »
    Nice job. I can help him explore Verra, for the right price.

Am really hoping to find other players once launch arrives whom will also want to explore the world ASAP! Not even sure if I'll settle into a Node or explore the entire world, first. We can't build Freeholds until a Node reaches Stage 3, anyways.

• Options
    Am really hoping to find other players once launch arrives whom will also want to explore the world ASAP! Not even sure if I'll settle into a Node or explore the entire world, first. We can't build Freeholds until a Node reaches Stage 3, anyways.

Totally agree. I don't see any reason to start settling immediately when the whole of the world has been laid out in front of us to uncover.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    CROW3 wrote: »

Totally agree. I don't see any reason to start settling immediately when the whole of the world has been laid out in front of us to uncover.

So you can get a plot before the Sooners flood in with carpet bags of coin.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You're all welcome to point out any holes, mis-conceptions, or anything contrary to known AoC lore. Here's what's fleshed-out, so far:

For now, my main toon will just be referred to as "Ahl" - since somewhere in his name I'll have 'Ahl'; It's not a good, finished Elven name. Elf is my default at the moment, as in the past, I've played *WAY* too many Humans in MMO's.

Ahl's to be an artistocratic scholar with depth perception issues; He's no good with a bow. He *may* sport an eye-patch, for the entire life of the game. His family line decends from a tradition of service with the Verdant Keeper: a group for which we have some minimal Lore already established by the Wiki, whose primary responsibility is to track and ensure the availability of the proper infastructure for civilization to survive and grow. Working alongside scholars and Verdant Keeper members from all of the races on Sanctus, he has no inherent racism against the primary races. However, he will view all of the races of Verra - particuarily the Tulnar - with reserved suspicion and distrust. (Sanctans won't inherently know about the Tulnar until travelling to Verra). This will stem from his knowledge of the Corruption.

While most of the peoples of Sanctus largely regard tales of magic, undead, and invading aliens from another world as hogwash or legend, there is still massive public acceptance that our ancestors all came from Verra - another world; While it's been thousands of years, everyone's ancestors have universally passed down this knowledge. However, there are plenty of sects on Sanctus - amongst every race - that hold strong in the belief that the gods exist and that so too does magic and the "Essence" that fuels it. While the planet of Sanctus is void of magic and has a very weak flow of Essence through it's plane of existence, the Essence is nonetheless there, for those who are willing to learn to feel it. It's like practicing Qigong or higher-order Yoga in real life: You can't explain to someone what it is to become sensitive to Qi; They have to feel it for themselves after learning a much deeper practice.

Having been involved in like-practices for decades, Ahl is eager to feel the difference in the flow of Essence that will no doubt come with being on Verran soil. He is determined to explore Verra quickly and to begin piecing together the missing parts of the races' clouded and now-mysterious pasts. Ahl is amongst the first of the Elven scholars to volunteer to take part in the settlement and investigatory parties that hope to travel through the Divine Gateways that are - even now - slowly coming back to life. The legends warn of the Corruption that came with the Harbingers, though - and Ahl will treat this like we view radiation; Any peoples who remained on Verra at the Exodus are probably "contaminated", in his mind.

While some are coming to Verra from Sanctus hoping for economic opportunities or fame, Ahl's migration will be quite intellectual, in purpose. His family's already from the upper class of Sanctus; He's not worried about establishing income nor where his money will be coming from (to emphasize this, I've got that red, French-looking petticoat from the February 2021 "Royal" customization pack.... It's not determined yet if I'll have the Royal Corgi following him around in-game, though). His family line values service to the community far more than they do their coffers, anyways.

In-short: Elf, prob equivalent age of 25-30 human years old, wealthy artisocrat, Scientific Node resident, will grow food and prob have Scribe as profession (if it makes it in), racist against Tulnar and the Verran sub-races - but not genocidal, will travel/explore constantly, possibly owns a Corgi, and has depth-perception issues.

Any holes or contradictions, so far?

From an rp stand point you have some great characterization points. You could probably be well served with one more 'key memory' style piece of backstory to flesh out the personality. But other than that looks pretty good to me.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw