Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Citizens of a node and guilds owning castles should be the ones equipping NPC guards with gear.

IronhopeIronhope Member
edited September 2021 in General Discussion
I think it would be a really cool element.

It would bring more life to the economy (more demand in the economy).

It would make professions feel better (it just feels bad to make gear yourself to level your profession, only to vendor it after in most cases.... it would feel better to put it to use, at least some of it, and I think it would be a really cool feeling to pass by a guard and know he is wearing your gear and better because of it).

It would give a sentiment of achievement to the players doing it, a feeling of ''here, I'm contributing too with stuff''.

And it would be an extra progression path in the game (making your node/castle harder to take by enemy players, by making your NPCs stornger).

And it would be a super meme with some guilds trolling by equipping their NPCs with top-tier gear from raids and stuff, just for lols.

What do you guys think of this potential system?

Would you like it?
Would you hate it?

Do you think it would take much time to add to the game?
Do you think the time needed to implement it would be worth it?

I think it would be worth it.

You?

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2021
    Equipping NPC guards with gear is already in the game design.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Equipping NPC guards with gear is already in the game design.

Great then.

Can I have a link to the info?

Curious to learn more about it.

Looked around if I could find anything about it, before making this thread, but couldn't find it.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    While not explicitly "NPC gear", this page talks about NPC mercenaries of different types/strength being hired by castle nodes:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Mercenary_NPCs
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    I feel the game should design antagonistically towards anythng that falls within 'just for the lolz'.
  • Options
    pyreal wrote: »
    I feel the game should design antagonistically towards anythng that falls within 'just for the lolz'.

Wait, aren't games supposed to be fun?
  • Options
    It'd be interesting. You'd have to think twice before going for that Castle. Not only do you need to be able to take it, but you need to be able to equip it, too. You'd have to balance your PvP'ers and Artisans.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    I like the idea ! thats another way to contribute when someone ist not good at or not interested in pvp.
    [Fleo Verum] Carolus Dynamicus - Py'rai - Rogue+Fighter
  • Options
    I like the idea ! thats another way to contribute when someone ist not good at or not interested in pvp.

That and also imagine being beaten by a coule of besiegers and then, just as you're about to die, a friendly NPC equipped by you appears and balances the fight.

Now that would be a cool sight and feeling :)
  • Options
    It would be reasonable to have an armory where you can donate gear and weapons to complete a meter of some sort before a siege happens, and the higher the meter is, the tougher the guards are. I don't see guards being any more complex than elite monsters who have high damage and health tho. Like, would you give an epic-level weapon if all he does is walk straight to an enemy and start auto attacking them? I feel like that would be a waste of resources when it could of gone to a player who can think dynamically and use a complex set of abilities.
  • Options
    McShave wrote: »
    Like, would you give an epic-level weapon if all he does is walk straight to an enemy and start auto attacking them? I feel like that would be a waste of resources when it could of gone to a player who can think dynamically and use a complex set of abilities.

You can be sure some guilds would do it just for fun (to make a statement, to stand out, stuff like that).

It wasn't a main point of why I would like to see said system implemented, but I do think it would be a funny thing.
  • Options
    Here is my thoughts on it, and I base it off a couple games I have played.

If you have the duty of being a guild leader or Mayor of a town, and you want to gear up your guards with armor and weapons, it should work like this in my opinion. (Just my idea)

There should be levels of gear, Tier A to Tier D, with A being more of the common materials to make, and D being the high end MATS.

You can gain what is needed from the people just donating what is needed, and/or with caravans bring in what is needed from other towns. To make the gear for the guild/ town guards, you need to fill the pool of MATS needed, and once completed, then the work to equip the guards will begin. This should be done on a timer, and after the time is done, all the guards will get the equipment from whatever Tier was being worked on.

The Timer is in place to keep from doing quick equip of the guards, and all martials used should be in large amounts, so nothing like 1,000 pounds of ore. More like you need min of 1,000 tons of ore for example. As the Guild leader or Mayor, you should have the option to contract out the work needed. So, the only risk you have doing this would be losing a caravan to bandits bring in your order, but of course you can hire extra guard to help with that too.

I will add common material should be the easiest to get, and the high end materials will have the highest risk to getting. If you want elite guards with the very best armor and weapons, it shouldn't be that easy to gain.

What do you guys think on this idea?
  • Options
    granthor wrote: »
    Here is my thoughts on it....

I like this one the most. Parties interested in keeping local defenses high should focus on keeping the city supplied in materials. This could gravitate to the city in general as well. Keeping the city well stocked in stone, grain, and lumber can help keep the city from falling into disrepair, streets and walls becoming unkempt messes and the local guard population from becoming weaker through starvation.

Elder Scrolls Online had similar concepts on siege resources, where each castle relied on outlying mines, lumber camps, and farms to maintain structural and NPC integrity. Capture the resources, you stifle the defending castle. Turning that into a manual turn-in system from player gatherers can go a long way towards making players feel like they are part of the city and crucial to its well being.
  • Options
    granthor wrote: »
    Here is my thoughts on it, and I base it off a couple games I have played.

If you have the duty of being a guild leader or Mayor of a town, and you want to gear up your guards with armor and weapons, it should work like this in my opinion. (Just my idea)

There should be levels of gear, Tier A to Tier D, with A being more of the common materials to make, and D being the high end MATS.

You can gain what is needed from the people just donating what is needed, and/or with caravans bring in what is needed from other towns. To make the gear for the guild/ town guards, you need to fill the pool of MATS needed, and once completed, then the work to equip the guards will begin. This should be done on a timer, and after the time is done, all the guards will get the equipment from whatever Tier was being worked on.

The Timer is in place to keep from doing quick equip of the guards, and all martials used should be in large amounts, so nothing like 1,000 pounds of ore. More like you need min of 1,000 tons of ore for example. As the Guild leader or Mayor, you should have the option to contract out the work needed. So, the only risk you have doing this would be losing a caravan to bandits bring in your order, but of course you can hire extra guard to help with that too.

I will add common material should be the easiest to get, and the high end materials will have the highest risk to getting. If you want elite guards with the very best armor and weapons, it shouldn't be that easy to gain.

What do you guys think on this idea?

It's really not a bad concept at all, I like it, but I would still prefer individual guards receiving individualized gear more.