Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Hide the health of a non-grouped player is fine, hide his level is better

From the wiki : "Players that are not in the same party, raid, alliance, or guild will not be able to see other player's health percentages or exact health bar values"
"A player's name plate will deteriorate to give an indication of how much damage they have take"

I think that's a great idea, but it's incomplete.
There should be an option on the player side that prevent other player to see the exact level, class and prevent deep inventory inspection. That way, when you encounter another player with combattant status, you don't know immediately what you are up to. You can deduce it from the skin of his gear, from the way he deals with monsters, but that's it.
Same if you are prone to corruption and going to gank a green low level, who know, you could face an high level player on disguise who is actually fishing you ?

The risk & reward system is flawed if you can deduce beforehand, from the level of your opponent, that you will win your fight.
It would be much more interesting if you have to deduce yourself the strength of people you meet instead of having the game giving you an abstract number without any plausible reason.

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Ravno wrote: »
    From the wiki : "Players that are not in the same party, raid, alliance, or guild will not be able to see other player's health percentages or exact health bar values"
    "A player's name plate will deteriorate to give an indication of how much damage they have take"

I think that's a great idea, but it's incomplete.
    There should be an option on the player side that prevent other player to see the exact level, class and prevent deep inventory inspection. That way, when you encounter another player with combattant status, you don't know immediately what you are up to. You can deduce it from the skin of his gear, from the way he deals with monsters, but that's it.
    Same if you are prone to corruption and going to gank a green low level, who know, you could face an high level player on disguise who is actually fishing you ?

The risk & reward system is flawed if you can deduce beforehand, from the level of your opponent, that you will win your fight.
    It would be much more interesting if you have to deduce yourself the strength of people you meet instead of having the game giving you an abstract number without any plausible reason.

All of what you are talking about is planned.

The main issue is that you can not deduce anything at all from the appearance of the items the player is wearing, as they could be using any cosmetic at all, and there is no way to turn off cosmetics.

What this all means in conjunction is that when you see another player out in the world, you have no real idea of their class, gear or level.
  • Options
    Ya, cosmetics and transmog really throws a wrench into this idea. I really like it from an idea perspective, and I also really hate paid cosmetics. I would pay a lot more money to have visual progression like in the old days, but I guess that ship has sailed a long time ago.

I think showing character combat level and what type of gear they are wearing under the costume is almost necessary. I don't know if the UI will show you what class they are, but it is still up to the player to know what abilities the other person has and how the weapon plays a part of their build. I don't think engaging in PvP will be a simple thing, even as the game is planned now.
  • Options
    RavnoRavno Member
    edited September 2021
    McShave wrote: »
    Ya, cosmetics and transmog really throws a wrench into this idea. I really like it from an idea perspective, and I also really hate paid cosmetics. I would pay a lot more money to have visual progression like in the old days, but I guess that ship has sailed a long time ago.

I didn't know about the whole transmog stuff.
    The fun fact is that i would actually pay for an option to disable cosmetic :p
    But the transmog system in this game is not so bad, from the wiki :
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Appearance_slots
    Gear inspection/ Threat assessment
    Players will have a buff on their nameplate that indicates the gear set they are wearing. Other players will be able to see this buff by targeting that player at a distance.[37][38][39]

This will indicate the type of gear (cloth, leather, plate) that they are predominantly wearing.[38]
    The border will indicate the level and quality of the tier set.[37][38][40]
    This also indicates if the gear is enchanted.[38][40]
    The developers believe that inspecting gear to obtain an exact equipment list or gear score may lead to "unwelcome behavior".[41]
    When you see a player approaching you and they're wearing a transmog you know you don't know if that person is a high damage mitigation against physical damage or against magical damage and essentially the way we overcome that is through you being able to target a player at a distance and they will have a buff that's present on them that you will see, which indicates that essentially the piece set that they are wearing. It is important for players to be able to ascertain from a threat assessment standpoint you know what they're going up against if they're actively checking that and that will be available.[39] – Steven Sharif

Being by default able to see a person's "gear score" / equipment list... may cause unwelcome behavior.[41]

Also :
    A character's level will be visible to other players.[4]

I think that's a mistake and having the ability to hide your level (like an option "show level" ON/OFF) would lead to much more interesting encounters. The gear icon who show the type/quality of gear seems enough to me while leaving the door open to disguise yourself.
    From a roleplay standpoint, there is no reason to assess the threat of a character outside of his gear and behavior with the system who feed you with an arbitrary level number.

If you walk by two man, wearing the same gear and standing still, how can you tell at first sight than one is level 30 and the other one level 50 ? That make no sense.

And btw, you could even make this treat assassement a class specific perk.
    Maybe mage can have the ability to assess the mana pool of a target, or an assassin a ability like an instinct to roughly assess threat for exemple.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    McShave wrote: »

I didn't know about the whole transmog stuff.
    The fun fact is that i would actually pay for an option to disable cosmetic :p
    But the transmog system in this game is not so bad, from the wiki :
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Appearance_slots
    Gear inspection/ Threat assessment
    Players will have a buff on their nameplate that indicates the gear set they are wearing. Other players will be able to see this buff by targeting that player at a distance.[37][38][39]

This will indicate the type of gear (cloth, leather, plate) that they are predominantly wearing.[38]
    The border will indicate the level and quality of the tier set.[37][38][40]
    This also indicates if the gear is enchanted.[38][40]
    The developers believe that inspecting gear to obtain an exact equipment list or gear score may lead to "unwelcome behavior".[41]
    When you see a player approaching you and they're wearing a transmog you know you don't know if that person is a high damage mitigation against physical damage or against magical damage and essentially the way we overcome that is through you being able to target a player at a distance and they will have a buff that's present on them that you will see, which indicates that essentially the piece set that they are wearing. It is important for players to be able to ascertain from a threat assessment standpoint you know what they're going up against if they're actively checking that and that will be available.[39] – Steven Sharif

Being by default able to see a person's "gear score" / equipment list... may cause unwelcome behavior.[41]

Also :
    A character's level will be visible to other players.[4]

I think that's a mistake and having the ability to hide your level (like an option "show level" ON/OFF) would lead to much more interesting encounters. The gear icon who show the type/quality of gear seems enough to me while leaving the door open to disguise yourself.
    From a roleplay standpoint, there is no reason to assess the threat of a character outside of his gear and behavior with the system who feed you with an arbitrary level number.

If you walk by two man, wearing the same gear and standing still, how can you tell at first sight than one is level 30 and the other one level 50 ? That make no sense.

And btw, you could even make this treat assassement a class specific perk.
    Maybe mage can have the ability to assess the mana pool of a target, or an assassin a ability like an instinct to roughly assess threat for exemple.

You wanna talk what makes no sense? Wearing the same shirt as someone else and 'not being able to 'tell'' what kind of shirt it is. More rediculous is you are wearing the same shirt but they have bought cosmetics so you now 'cant tell' and claiming that money has not bought you some power in the form of limiting information. Not the most egregious p2w, but you stop being able to say 'absolutely no effect on game play' at that point.

In FFXI you could check someone's full gear and augments. I am unaware of what 'unwanted' effects they might be referring to here, but I don't think it was a huge problem. If they are referring to 'bullying someone for not wearing meta' thats simply fixed by, you know, not having dps meters and having a properly balanced set of gear pieces with few if any noob traps in the first place.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    I don't want to see any info at all, other than their name and guild ONLY when I hover over their character.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    I don't want to see any info at all, other than their name and guild ONLY when I hover over their character.

Why

• Options
    JustVine wrote: »

Why

I hate it when I'm in the middle of a busy city, and I can't see anything cos all my display shows is a massive string of player names/info. I like the mystery of not knowing who or what the person next to me is, how strong they are, and what they're likely to be packing. And, if someone's going to try their luck with me, I want them to be as clueless as I am as to which one of us has the upper hand with regards to level/gear/etc.

As Ravno said:
    The risk & reward system is flawed if you can deduce beforehand ... that you will win your fight.
  • Options

Why

I hate it when I'm in the middle of a busy city, and I can't see anything cos all my display shows is a massive string of player names/info. I like the mystery of not knowing who or what the person next to me is, how strong they are, and what they're likely to be packing. And, if someone's going to try their luck with me, I want them to be as clueless as I am as to which one of us has the upper hand with regards to level/gear/etc.

Are you ok with a check function rather than being automatically handed data?
    The risk & reward system is flawed if you can deduce beforehand ... that you will win your fight.

A combat system is flawed if gear and level are the sole factors of risk in a fight. Also the check function I mentioned early should have a limited range equal to max targetable range. All that time spent manually entering the check function and looking at their gear is time your opponent has to either run or come up to you to smack you in the face. A risk and reward of its own. With that in mind is such a mental check function acceptable to you?

• Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited September 2021
    Still feels like it's giving too much away. It might take a few moments at first to get the info from the check function, but a few weeks/months down the line, you'll be working it all out in a blink. The element of surprise and having the first few hits are enough of an advantage already, without the attacker knowing beforehand whether or not they're going to win.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Still feels like it's giving too much away. It might take a few moments at first to get the info from the check function, but a few weeks/months down the line, you'll be working it all out in a blink. The element of surprise and having the first few hits are enough of an advantage already, without the attacker knowing beforehand whether or not they're going to win.

Knowing the primary class of a target shouldn't be enough information to know if you are going to win or not.

Knowing the level of your target is something that should be a given, since corruption penalty is tied to level, and it would no doubt be possible to one shot low level players. it just seems to me to be bad game design to have a very large penalty associated with unknown information.
  • Options
    A combat system is flawed if gear and level are the sole factors of risk in a fight.

Absolutely, but consider:

- You're a Level 35, hiding outside a city gate.
    Two players leave the gate, both heading in a different direction. One is a full-health Level 50 called "Playya" in full end-game raid gear. The other is a poisoned mid-health Level 15 called "Playaa" in a mismatch of starter gear.

- You're a Level 35, hiding outside a city gate.
    Two players leave the gate, both heading in a different direction. One is called "Playya" and the other is called "Playaa".

Which better fits in with the Risk vs Reward theme? Personally, I believe it's the second one.
  • Options
    If you manage to sneak up close enough to people without them noticing to check them without them running or attacking, isn't that reasonable and a requirement for good intel gathering in a game with costumes you can't turn off? I dont agree with being able to see status effects/health personally. But level, class, gear? Absolutely. In your latter scenario it is random chance in choosing who I tail due to costumes which is less immersive and fun in my opinion. Yeah it protects weaker players to some degree, but isn't that the corruption penalties job to do?

• Options
    clone63clone63 Member
    edited September 2021
    Put another coin in this glass.

If there is much diversity in gear, this will really help create a better world, visually. The highlight-for-info option makes the most sense to me. You can take a really quick assessment of someone in a crown at a glance but it takes a moment (highlight/target) to gather solid info. e.g., Looking at a sea of people, I may see that they all seem to be of a middle/upper class, but noticing one guy with work boots and a glove in his pocket, I can start to guess he was working outside/ isn't related to these people etc etc...
    If there is not a lot of diversity in gear then.. groups will looks kinda stupid.

An added gameplay element would be NPC's in the wild could have varying AI's so you wouldn't know right away if they're even a player. If they're not soldiers you're aligned against, you would still gain corruption (maybe less than if they were a player) cause you're just killing people all the same, player or AI, and it would help expose gankers and give them something to do at the same time.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Back when there wasnt costumes or trabsmogs, I would look at peoples gear and know more or less how high their character was, even though there was no lv indications.

Now I have mixed feelings. I dont see the harm in hidding levels. Let's see who has the blzz to fight.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    I hope full TT mode will allow the disabling of name/info plates and give us a 'Targeted monster/player' ui element.
    I hate all that floaty stuff.
    Play Skyrim for a few minutes and you really appreciate their minimal UI.
  • Options
    Hard to say if I'd like that or not. On one hand it would probably lessen pvp in the world. On the other hand I'm basically coin flipping whether I win or lose if I do fight people. Would be a huge nerf to stealth in general though. It does benefit the more hardcore players though and punish those who play for less time. It also has the potential to skyrocket out of control and eliminate pvp from the game entirely for set level benchmarks.

Depends how big of the community the initial backers are. This actually seems like a bad idea if the people on the forums or backed the project initially are a minority.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    Hiding opponent health bar is bad for determining if someone is hacking.

Hiding level is bad because of the cash shop cosmetics and transmog would make it impossible to have a clue what level someone is, which I think reduces skill in determining if you should be able to 1vX enemies.
  • Options
    I guess an option to disable showing cosmetic is something out of the table because it will decrease the appeal of the cosmetic themself, but maybe you can add a button that temporarily disable cosmetic while pressed ?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I guess an option to disable showing cosmetic is something out of the table because it will decrease the appeal of the cosmetic themself, but maybe you can add a button that temporarily disable cosmetic while pressed ?

Sell this for the price of your cheapist cosmetic. Make it on a timer (so you have to buy more) >:)

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited October 2021
    bigepeen wrote: »

Hiding level is bad because of the cash shop cosmetics and transmog would make it impossible to have a clue what level someone is, which I think reduces skill in determining if you should be able to 1vX enemies.

The healthbar of non grouped players will be hidden. It has been said so by the devs.
    Suspicious players can be reported and the GMs will deal with them.

This isnt the first mmorpg that hides players healthbars. I prefer it as well. It prevents players from switching to the enemy with the lower HP and deleting him.
    It also prevents players from hitting another player that fights a mob, until that players hp reaches near zero, dying from the mob thus bypassing the corruption system.

If you want to hit another player, do it at your own risk. The first hit may be the last and then you have corruption points.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Sell this for the price of your cheapist cosmetic. Make it on a timer (so you have to buy more) >:)

you are evil
    AHAHAHAHA
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    bigepeen wrote: »

The healthbar of non grouped players will be hidden. It has been said so by the devs.
    Suspicious players can be reported and the GMs will deal with them.

This isnt the first mmorpg that hides players healthbars. I prefer it as well. It prevents players from switching to the enemy with the lower HP and deleting him.
    It also prevents players from hitting another player that fights a mob, until that players hp reaches near zero, dying from the mob thus bypassing the corruption system.

If you want to hit another player, do it at your own risk. The first hit may be the last and then you have corruption points.

I don't know. I'm a little worried about the increasing prevalence of cheating in online games. If there's some opaque system where you can't tell if your attacks are being received, it'll be almost impossible to tell if you lost due to cheating or not.

I've quit a good number of games due to cheating, and what's more important to me is being able to have assurance that the opponent isn't using a trainer. I'm not sure how seriously Intrepid is going to take this.