Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

so just tested new world lol...

13»

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Because it's not an MMORPG.
    Last night, I asked one of the NW quest designers if the devs say NW is an RPG.
    He said, "Heh! Good question. It's definitely an MMO."
    NW is like MMO Valheim with quests.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    edited October 2021
    Ehrgeiz wrote: »
    New World's dark souls like action combat definitely isn't for everyone especially in the MMORPG playerbase, i also disliked it to its core, i really dislike its dependency on autoattacks because of the limitation of skills avaliable[3 skills on skill bar per weapon (2 weapons)] and their long cooldowns.
    As for the quests i just found them average/standard, nothing to praise it about, nothing to trash it about.

Those are problems i simply don't see Ashes having.

sounds like a "git gud" case

Aww, how cute! One of those meme trolls. He even quoted it to distance himself from the stench.

If you knew what you were talking about- oh right, you don't. Never mind.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Ehrgeiz wrote: »
    New World's dark souls like action combat definitely isn't for everyone especially in the MMORPG playerbase, i also disliked it to its core, i really dislike its dependency on autoattacks because of the limitation of skills avaliable[3 skills on skill bar per weapon (2 weapons)] and their long cooldowns.
    As for the quests i just found them average/standard, nothing to praise it about, nothing to trash it about.

Those are problems i simply don't see Ashes having.

sounds like a "git gud" case

Haha not sure about that mate, i'm very used to the dark souls combat, it's just that NW's approach to that type of combat (basically bootleg DS combat) and the way it felt unreasonable and out of place in a MMORPG.

I watched a video where the guy outlined how its a 'DS style' that falls short of its inspiration. A key element is dodging attacks and countering, but here they have failed. Often times its 'quicker' to spam M1 through the damage.
  • Options
    pyreal wrote: »
    Don't care for the combat, animation nor character movement; it reminds me of a console game.

NW was also being designed for Amazon Luna, Amazon's fledgling streaming service. In October 2020 I was planning on spending $100 on Luna hardware (WiFi direct controller) and $6 a month to play NW when it was supposed to release in early 2021. That all changed.

Whilst looking for NW videos, I stumbled TLP's Ashes of Creation video. Since then I've been saving up $1500 for a new PC and will happily pay $15 a month to play Ashes of Creation. I just want to see the GPU prices drop prior to AoC release!
    Forum_Signature.png
  • Options
    Careful about throwing stones :smile:

New World is fun. It is also demonstrating there is a market for more detailed MMOs. While it's not 100% sandbox, the RvR aspect continues to be a solid way to introduce PvP in a non-gank way. I don't think New World has done much to solve the inherent combat problems with large-scale battles (boring AoE). The towns changing ownership and guilds running areas. That's pretty cool. Crafting is both a huge mess and fun.

What is great for Ashes is that people are fighting to get into New World. A game without fast travel. An obvious grind. Repetitive mobs/areas. There is a player base waiting for a western MMO that has a good design. Ashes is one of the very few that has great art design.

I wouldn't lie and say I need to see to believe. Ashes has a lot of gameplay elements that I've been hoping to find in a game for many years. I've seen other ambitious projects either linger on forever (Star Citizen) or cut the cool features right before launch and go theme park.

New World is now in the position where Amazon Studios can be aggressive in adding content and improvements or they can let their player base burn out. It will be super interesting to see what happens there. It could grow into a great game. I mean, it doesn't even have swimming. It's creepy to watch your avatar just walk into the depths slowly, clearly with lead in their boots, to drown. I hope they don't cave in and add more and easier fast travel too. That is the moment an MMO turns from an open world to a glorified open lobby.

• Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Wasn't sure I'd like NW but I have put quite a few hours into it already lol. I wonder how the game will fare in a few months!
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    Hayhaka SapaHayhaka Sapa Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I got New World on Amazon back when it first went on sale for testing. It was interesting just because it was new with a company that is famous but a horrible track record for attempting to make games. You learned quickly it is very boring as almost devoid of content. The original problem (other than the folks in charge being business folks out to make money who never even played games) is it was made as strictly PvP which does not require much, if any content or story. So, it had little content and essentially no story. Testers complained like crazy and they learned over 90% of their testers had no interest in playing if it was totally PvP centered and PvP required. So, they changed a bit over a year ago to flagging for PvP and it not being required. They never did add in more content nor a story nor more variety in quests and in things to fight. It's a boring disaster. Prior to 2021 I cancelled my order on Amazon so never did pay. They kept sending me Steam codes though to play the testing so I did to see if it ever improved. It was still a boring game when testing ended.

I made the comment many times in New World forums that Ashes of Creation was a better game though far behind in development and New World would never be any good. Several others said pretty much the same thing. Yes, New World is pretty. Yes, it gets a ton of sales because of the name Amazon. But, tons of folks said it would be popular because of the Amazon name for a few months and then bored non-PvP players would flee to better games and PvP players would leave because of a lack of people willing to be the victim of gankers for them to loot. Many made the prediction that within a year (my guess is longer simply because so many blindly adore all things Amazon or Bezos related if they have the right politics) NW will be free to play depending on microtransactions to make a living and the majority of servers will have closed. Personally, I don't recommend NW to anyone and have not since early in testing. You might get your money worth figuring $1 per hour played as worth it. Most either won't play enough to justify the price or will barely make it before getting bored and leaving for better things to do (like watching the grass grow).
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2022
    Vaknar wrote: »
    Wasn't sure I'd like NW but I have put quite a few hours into it already lol. I wonder how the game will fare in a few months!

It's been a few months now!
    I found out one of my colleagues has put in 400+ hrs into the game and she is hating it (but won't leave because her community in the game is still active - though they also are fed up with the game)
    Here's a compilation of her thoughts:

PvE
    is still a joke, not worth anyone's time and so she doesn't want to comment here

PvP
    The only content worth doing in the entire game are Outpost Rushes - New World's version of territory control
    Still, this content is plagued by:
    • a PvE objective that completely turns the tide of a battle [NB: I assume the objective cannot be contested?] rendering all PvP mostly pointless in regards to victory conditions.
    • Scoring is heavily influenced by final blow, so kill stealing is the way to top the scoreboard
    • Poor team matching (she experienced 16 v 9)
    • Poor rewards

Crafting
    Many nerfs deployed - but this created a massive gap between veterans who filled their storages pre-nerfs and new players who can barely access the same resources
    She also hates the gearing system

Bugs
    • movement lock bug - you get stuck in a walking/running animation, but can only move by jumping
    • weapon switch bug - game often fails to detect that you have (AND/OR haven't) switched weapons, which completely disables you in combat
    • She encountered a NULL pointer exception. She works in Dev-Ops so she found this incredibly disappointing.

Exploits
    • early gold exploits were not drained from the economy
    • farming bots rampant - you can report them, and then watch them still be there the next day
    • aim-bots being used by musket players - the only way to fight back is to also shoot at them with muskets too

She did commend them for 1 thing though:
    > weapon balancing: nerfing op weapons into the ground.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    I felt burned for jumping into NW so quickly, a lesson I hope not to be repeating with AoC having purchased the Value Pack Plus thing.
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    A moment of silence for the people still playing this game.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2022
    Trouble in paradise:

New World Has Disabled Character Creation Globally

“The New World team has disabled character creation on all regions. They have not provided any information on why this is happening, but promised that they will have more when they can share it.”

They did turn it back on later but still had no explanation as to what happened.

Clown show!

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Odal wrote: »
    granthor wrote: »
    Hmmm... I was just about to download it. I guess I wont.

Sometimes you need to play it for yourself to see if you like it. I understand the fact its a lot to ask since you have to pay to play. I was thinking about playing it too, but I will wait and see. I am watching a few of the views of others playing, that might help you to see if it's for you or not better. Until then, I will keep waiting on AOE for my fantasy fix. lol

As much as I dislike New World, I say give it a try. It was defiently enjoyable for like 30 hours or so of gametime. It can be relaxing gather stuff (especially cutting down treees which is amazing in the begining) and PvP can be fun.

But yeah, as I've said before. Returned the game by the time I had played 70 hrs

So, if I read this correctly, you played 70 hrs of New World and then returned the game which equates to a full refund.. 70 hrs ????
  • Options
    akabear wrote: »
    Odal wrote: »
    granthor wrote: »
    Hmmm... I was just about to download it. I guess I wont.

Sometimes you need to play it for yourself to see if you like it. I understand the fact its a lot to ask since you have to pay to play. I was thinking about playing it too, but I will wait and see. I am watching a few of the views of others playing, that might help you to see if it's for you or not better. Until then, I will keep waiting on AOE for my fantasy fix. lol

As much as I dislike New World, I say give it a try. It was defiently enjoyable for like 30 hours or so of gametime. It can be relaxing gather stuff (especially cutting down treees which is amazing in the begining) and PvP can be fun.

But yeah, as I've said before. Returned the game by the time I had played 70 hrs

So, if I read this correctly, you played 70 hrs of New World and then returned the game which equates to a full refund.. 70 hrs ????

Dude got a steal for 70 hours of entertainment. He's right when he says the game is fun for a while. It's when you start to understand the inner-workings that you realize it's a train wreck.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    This is a perfect example of a game being rushed out and released before it was ready. I had played the game in the beta. I didn't like the combat of it, so I never purchased the game. In theory the ideas it wanted to implement was good. You could gather your own materials and make your own tools and weapons. You were going to be able to experiment with crafting even customizing your weapons and gear. At some point the game balancing didn't work out and the corporation told them they were out of time. This is why I like the fact that there is no publisher for Ashes of Creation. If New World had been able to deliver what they had promised it might have been a fun game. It's sad that the game lost 500,000 players in a single month. To go from 900,000 players to 400,000 players.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/new-world/player-count-loss
  • Options
    Borges80Borges80 Member
    edited January 2022
    As a 950h new world mainly PVP player, It was actually a pretty good game on launch, the wpvp was amazing. Combat felt great, and servers felt great (except in wars, which I didn't care about anyways). Until, everyone started getting to end game, and realizing how broken the game actually was. Almost every perk was/is bugged. There are passive skills all bugged/nonfunctional after thorough testing which have been broken for months. Certain skills were hardly tested and need a damage pass. Like, are you actually kidding me? Did you not test these passives in a controlled environment at all before releasing? Half of the broken stuff is EASILY noticeable in 1 duel. There was a bug on a perk called resilience, which reduces crit damage by 4.8%. You can stack this 5x on armor for a total of 24% crit reduction. This alone made PVP a lot more spongey and less skill intensive/reactive because no one dies and can spam pots forever, but not bad to the point you couldn't lock down kills. So the bug was, 24% of damage was being reduced by crits, AND regular damage as well. You can imagine how this broken the game entirely. Everyone who ran heavy armor/resilient/lifestaff was practically immortal. The ENTIRE games meta, revolved around this 1 bug, for weeks. It got fixed eventually, and everyone stopped abusing it. This bug could have been revealed in 1 inhouse duel, doing 1 calculation with the armor on and off. How does something like this bypass internal testing? It doesn't, because it probably was never tested. This stuff happens every single patch.

Now, that was only one game breaking thing which is now fixed. The game actually was extremely fun, every weapon felt powerful, meaningful, whatever. You could land consistent well aimed/timed hits and it was rewarding. However, unfortunately they chose to go the route of "nerf everything" instead of slightly tweak certain overperforming weapons and gather data. So now, everything is a spongebath and not rewarding at all. Clearly they have no idea what they're doing, including biased nerfs and buffs, it's ugly. As well as adding more absorption perks to the game making damage feeling even more underwhelming.

They released 1-2 patches which broke the games sync, resulting in tons of desync, lag, ability timing bugs weaponswap lag, etc. Everyone is leaving.

Currently there has been a bug with the bow which the perk concussion (20% extra headshot damage) applies to every single hit. This has been broken since release, and it is just now being discovered. So they're going to fix this, and while bow is in a pretty good spot balance wise, it is going to nerf the bow globally by 20% which is terrible. Another bug which could have been prevented and revealed in 1 inhouse duel.

I really want the game to be good, but at this point in my server (one of the most populated), wPVP is totally dead, weapons are nerf guns, everything is laggy, buggy, sluggish. Skill in pvp is nonexistent due to the current meta/imbalances/problems so I have basically quit.

After watching and following ashes's alpha 1 stream including asmon's playthrough, I have nothing but excitement for ashes. I would rather play the alpha 1 all day than what NW is right now.
  • Options
    Borges80Borges80 Member
    edited January 2022
    maouw wrote: »

She did commend them for 1 thing though:
    > weapon balancing: nerfing op weapons into the ground.

The problem with this was, they overnerfed them, and used that foundation to nerf everything else which was a terrible mistake. The lifestaff, firestaff, and ice gauntlet obviously needed nerfs, but they made 17 nerfs between the fs and ig, and in the process killed the firestaff (it's actually terrible now) and the ice gauntlet is overnerfed as well but not as hard. What's funny is, the only reason the ice gauntlet is still being used is because there is a bug with ice spike to where it is double hitting unintentionally.

Anyways, they received tons of backlash for how hard they nerfed them without any tweaks, even let us test on the PTR. Still after receiving negative feedback from the PTR TESTERS, they went ahead and pushed it to live anyways. This infuriated a lot of people. After that, they began nerfing OTHER weapons based on the performance and balances of the now over nerfed mage weapons, which reduced power in a lot of the other weapons resulting in too many nerfs in general making damage in pvp spongey, and boring. Now they're nerfing the bow.

What they should have done, was realize how badly they messed up, and either take our feedback on the PTR seriously and relook at them, reverting some nerfs so they still feel good to use and powerful in their own identity, and re-tweak that way, then tweak other weapons up if need be. Instead they ended up nerfing everything making pvp a borefest. Now, they released the new weapon (void gauntlet) which is extremely OP, and was probably balanced in tune with the other weapons pre-nerf, and not tested at all AFTER the nerfed weapons, so pvp is nothing but overpowered voidgauntlets and ice gauntlets because every other weapon is underperforming.

It's just an entire mess.
  • Options
    New World is when PvE players win the conversation.
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Your avatar looks like a Nikua beach dwarf skafftaruss
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Okeydoke wrote: »
    Your avatar looks like a Nikua beach dwarf skafftaruss

He is from the Khazad Kowabunga clan.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    I enjoyed it for the first 100 hours. Big factor was the guild I ran with was also a blast. After 100 hours it felt too repetitive