Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

what about the casual / intermittent player?

2»

Comments

• Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited October 2021
    Nalfeind wrote: »

So my question to the AoC dev is: Is there a plan for those players so that they don't lose everything?
    For the community: What do think should be done? Should there be any sort of safe stash or should those "absentees" be left to whatever the world of AoC has in store for them. (Might be nothing happens, might be they have nothing!)

Is there a plan for those players so that they don't lose everything?

First, you dont lose everything. You lose portions. Even Corrupted players never lose everything. As for changing the game for casuals, be warned. You take away from everyone elses experience when you change how players get affected by the system.
    I believe your best course of action will be to just not purchase a freehold or apartment if you don't want to risk your stuff so much. you should also choose a good group of friends/guild to be in to help when you are out and about. This will reduce the amount of ganking you will receive if any happens at all.

What do think should be done? Should there be any sort of safe stash or should those "absentees" be left to whatever the world of AoC has in store for them.

Adjustments to any system to better the overall gameplay experience are a given, but I do not think there is a valid reason yet to start changing the current system to cater to casual players as it harms the sort of atmosphere the game is trying to portray. If loss of materials and risk loss in general are lessened, that directly lessens the value of each system they were apart of. Why care if you die if you lose nothing? Why care if your node is attacked if you lose nothing when it falls?

Care is what people want in this game, so if you don't want to care as much maybe it is just not for you.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2021
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Nalfeind wrote: »

So my question to the AoC dev is: Is there a plan for those players so that they don't lose everything?
    For the community: What do think should be done? Should there be any sort of safe stash or should those "absentees" be left to whatever the world of AoC has in store for them. (Might be nothing happens, might be they have nothing!)

Is there a plan for those players so that they don't lose everything?

First, you dont lose everything. You lose portions. Even Corrupted players never lose everything. As for changing the game for casuals, be warned. You take away from everyone elses experience when you change how players get affected by the system.
    I believe your best course of action will be to just not purchase a freehold or apartment if you don't want to risk your stuff so much. you should also choose a good group of friends/guild to be in to help when you are out and about. This will reduce the amount of ganking you will receive if any happens at all.

What do think should be done? Should there be any sort of safe stash or should those "absentees" be left to whatever the world of AoC has in store for them.

Adjustments to any system to better the overall gameplay experience are a given, but I do not think there is a valid reason yet to start changing the current system to cater to casual players as it harms the sort of atmosphere the game is trying to portray. If loss of materials and risk loss in general are lessened, that directly lessens the value of each system they were apart of. Why care if you die if you lose nothing? Why care if your node is attacked if you lose nothing when it falls?

Care is what people want in this game, so if you don't want to care as much maybe it is just not for you.

Well it depends on how risk averse the player in question is. Let's clarify that 1. Let's repeat a very important fact Sathrago already said as it is crucial to the gameplay experience: as of right now, there is no plans for node structure destruction to cause 100% material loss for player housing. It is only partial loot. 2. Sathrago is not suggesting that the casual 'should' be homeless. Only that it's the least risky thing to do 3. .... Or is it?

As you play the game you are going to have more mats than you can carry. Carrying mats is risky. Let's assume the drop rate is 25% for noncorrupted death. If you die you lose 25% of ALL YOUR STUFF if you are homeless. If you die enough you can lose everything.

So if you are truly risk averse you have a few options:

1. Get housing
    2. Get a guild with a guild bank
    3. Unconfirmed? option of a bank structure at an economic node that charges you money to store your stuff maybe?
    4. Craft it into undropable stuff? Its less clear if this is a valud strat at this time so I won't go into it

Housing means you can store your stuff. If you lose your stuff in a node war at this point let's say it's the same 25% you'd have lost on player death* , but for your entire storage. Bigger number lost, but over time you have saved huge sums from being lost on death This large number may seem like a lot until you realize it only takes two more deaths to make the housing worth it*. How likely are you to survive three deaths playing the game vs just getting a freehold registers. This isn't factoring housing costs or rebuild costs but we haven't talked about the fact that the more you die over time without storing your stuff your real loss rate skyrockets whereas if you put it in storage it flattens logarithmicly over time either. But ignore the nerd that's not that important.

So the main feature of player housing is that it 1. locks in value. You 'only' lose this percent of your stuff once. I'm not sure what their plan is for when you literally can't carry all your stuff but thats a different conversation. 2. There are crafter benefits for owning a freehold, small mat benefits for owning static housing. Point is order all housing is a flat benefit casual or not.

Guilds have wars. A casual joining a guild for their bank is not that different from joining a node as a citizen and getting an apartment or freehold. If others are aware of additional benefits in terms of storage feel free to note them. A guild may have their own rules for being a member. Yeah your stuff has a garunteed set of people protecting your stuff in a seige, but so does a node.

You could maybe go to an economic node that maybe built a bank, but now you have put your stuff in a place that is at risk of being torn down in a node war far more than housing in town or around the node. Banks are almost assuredly going to be a primary target when players siege an economic node due to their utility and likelihood of dropping larger pools of materials since you are concentrating goods into one building with each customer of the bank. Where as static housing and freeholds have less of a guarantee of this due to their lower concentration.

The point is, yes there is risk but its almost assuredly going to be less risk than holding on to your stuff, homeless and less attached to the greater community.

You want a guaranteed way to not lose mats? Log off with all your stuff in inv. This has a limit, and increases your log on risk. But I think that's a fairly fair compromise.

Tl:dr not only are you not 'left with nothing' having a house is the safest move a casual and hardcore player alike.

* some changes to these details may occur as the game develops.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited October 2021
    Sign up for email alerts, and when your Freehold node is attacked you’ll get a message like ‘your crap is on fire, you may want to log on.’

😃
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Sign up for email alerts, and when your Freehold node is attacked you’ll get a message like ‘your crap is on fire, you may want to log on.’

😃

This is actually something I want, no joke.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think you can't move your stuff after the Siege is declared?
  • Options
    JustVine wrote: »

So if you are truly risk averse you have a few options:

1. Get housing
    2. Get a guild with a guild bank
    3. Unconfirmed? option of a bank structure at an economic node that charges you money to store your stuff maybe?
    4. Craft it into undropable stuff? Its less clear if this is a valud strat at this time so I won't go into it

I tough Mount could also carry some of your stuff. Maybe not all.

But at the same time dont know if your stuff are safe if you die while beeing in Mount inventory. If they are might also be an option
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    ptitoine wrote: »
    I tough Mount could also carry some of your stuff. Maybe not all.

But at the same time dont know if your stuff are safe if you die while beeing in Mount inventory. If they are might also be an option

Mules can carry stuff, not sure about actual mounts. If you kill a mule you gain corruption but obviously there will be more loot in a mule than on a walking toon.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
    edited October 2021
    Dygz wrote: »
    I think you can't move your stuff after the Siege is declared?

yes
    EDym4eg.png