Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Healing

Hey,
so im a main healer/supporter and i just want to let the AoC Team know what i personally (don't) want to see.
The reason i post this is that i read somewhere that Bard's don't have the ability to heal. I don't know if it's official or even an up to date thing.

I want to play a healer in AoC really badly but i don't want to be bound to play a Cleric. My first thinking was "maybe if someone takes the Cleric secondary archetype u got the heals" but that's either somethin i dont want, because i don't want every archetyp the "same" when taking a secondary (i hope u guys understand what i mean).

That's also the reason i don't play New World. Take the Lifestaff to be the Healer... wow that's cool, so i have NO flawer what type of healer i wanna be -.-
Or even better, everyone can take a Lifestaff as secondary so there is nothing like a dedicated role as a Healer.

My wish for AoC:
- I want atleast Cleric, Bard & Summoner to be able to fill the role as a healer
- a character taking one of those archetypes as secondary should NOT be able to fill this role in high end gameplay
- give those three archetypes signature healing/supporting abilities

Pleas drop your opinions on this topic here.

Comments

• This post seems a little confusing to be honest. You don’t want to be bound to the cleric as the only healer but you also don’t want homogeneous healer classes from cleric secondary roles either.

Based on the information Intrepid has put out, cleric secondary will offer some form of self heal for those that take it.

Bards are the exception as they will have more healing options with the cleric secondary than other classes but won’t heal as much as the Cleric.

As far as your second wish, this is already going to be met as the bard can be a pseudo healer but won’t be able to main heal end game content.

Summoner is still a wild card and no one knows the extent of what they can do. Reason would dictate that their secondary can offer strong role fillers but won’t be able to match primary roles of the tank/healer.

• Kalv1441 wrote: »
    This post seems a little confusing to be honest. You don’t want to be bound to the cleric as the only healer but you also don’t want homogeneous healer classes from cleric secondary roles either.

U word it better than i did. But yeah in my opinion if u can "make a healer" out of every class i don't think that the role of a healer isn't as impactfull as i wish it to be.

I picked Cleric, Bard & Summoner because i read often that they have a support role.

Basically i wont healing / supporting to be an impactfull playstyle nothing that's passive.
    In my mind the things i write make much more sense then writing it down. ^^"

• @Xalvan well, the good news is what you want to see for the healer role is exactly what they plan to do. Though, we still don’t know about the summoner yet
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Currently their intention is to have the cleric be the main healer. With the class system, we'll have 8 different variants of cleric to play.

If you also want the bard and summoner be able to fill the main healer roles, well, stick around, perhaps join Alpha 2 if the money isn't an issue, come with good and well reasoned feedback and maybe they'll change things around. Maybe not. But they have proven they do listen to feedback and change the game if enough people agree that something should be changed.
  • ptitoineptitoine Member
    edited October 2021
    Well from what I know Cleric will be Main healer in party while Summoner and Bard will be support.

As for Bard I dont know where you saw they can't heal. Cause I seen they do have but not as strong as Cleric. But unlike Cleric they have group buff. And for Summoner they hav Summon that can heal. And I seen they can also summon protection.

So yeah these 3 type will be viables in fight. But if you want play Bard or Summoner support dont expect to be main healer or to perform healing as high as Cleric. You,ll do other thing that isnt numbered (Like Disc Priest in WoW with mitigation)

As for other class with x/Cleric. I dont think their healing will be based on Other player but on self sustain mainly
  • SirChancelotSirChancelot Member
    edited October 2021
    Kalv1441 wrote: »
    This post seems a little confusing to be honest. You don’t want to be bound to the cleric as the only healer but you also don’t want homogeneous healer classes from cleric secondary roles either.

X/clerics shouldn't end up being homogeneous... The augments would change the primary abilities into healing effects it won't give every class the same heal spell the way it does in New world.
  • Kalv1441 wrote: »

X/clerics shouldn't end up being homogeneous... The augments would change the primary abilities into healing effects it won't give every class the same heal spell the way it does in New world.

I was only trying to word what I thought the OP was trying to say.
  • My bad, I guess that should be directed at OP then...
  • My bad, I guess that should be directed at OP then...

All good. I’ve had enough interaction/read your comments enough on these forums to know you’re not rude or anything. There’s been confusing verbiage in this thread

• Xalvan wrote: »
    Pleas drop your opinions on this topic here.

Welcome. I’d suggest checking the wiki, or do some cursory searching to get basic info on the game. Ashes is going to be a very bootstrap heavy game.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Bard

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • You say in OP that you don't want to play the Cleric, but at the end of the day you aren't just playing a "Cleric". There will be 8 different types of Cleric, depending on what secondary archetype you choose, and they all will *most likely* have very different playstyles, but also all be very good at healing (depending how you build your character).

So I wouldn't give up on playing a Cleric just yet if you are interested in main healing. Try out the different cleric classes and then decide if you want to play one or not. Otherwise, you can go a support (bard or summoner) with cleric secondary and probably provide assisting heals for your group.
  • What I want from healing is a type of healing that isn't grounded in "light" or anything like holiness or Christianity.

I prefer to play healers, but I'm much more attracted to Earth and nature magic. I'd much rather play a Druid than a Cleric. Maybe the "Shaman" combination of Cleric and Summoner will fit the bill, but I don't really want to be using spells with names like Devotion or Divine Light.

All the other archetypes have more generic names. I think the healer archetype should be "Healer", without the religious connotations of "Cleric".
  • Swifty00Swifty00 Member
    edited November 2021
    I am also always a healer, and one of the big things games that have the trinity must overcome; is how do you make heals powerful enough to keep an entire group up on their own, without making them too powerful, because you have to give them enough killing power to solo content and 1v1 PvP.

The best solution I have seen is to make healers as strong as regular dps/tanks, and make their heals work very well at healing other people or AOE, but not themselves.

I would only take away a healer's ability to do multi-target damage or AOE damage, and group CC, as these are most usually only required in group content. if you limit a healer's variety of offensive tools rather than their raw power, then we will be happy.

I realize that could still make healers very strong 1v1, but I think that may not be such a bad thing for group PvP.

• We don't exactly how healing will work, but from the wiki it would appear that the high priest (healer/healer) will be the best healer. The bard can do some healing, but can also buff damage or buff defense, help with mana recovery. The summoner can summon up to 3 pets. So, they could suffer a healing pet or summon a damage pet like a golem. If one were to rank the classes for healing perhaps it might be possibly:

Cleric 100
    Bard 70
    Summoner 70

The summoner and bard would add more flexibility and do slightly less healing. Of course, it does appear that the cleric also has some damage abilities that do damage and heal themselves. At this point we are only speculating. Until we get to Beta 2 of the game development things will probably change a lot. The best thing we can do is test a lot for them and give them the data they need. I hope targeting will be better in this game. I hated how the healing worked in Final Fantasy 14.