Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

The Glory of a crafter.

MicoMico Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Throughout many MMO's we all know specific guilds as being the best at clearing the hardest of raids. Their glory is talked about all throughout the game for their PVE skills, with many trying to join the guild for it' illustrious prestige.

Never have I seen an MMO where a guild is known for its Master Craftsmen, a guild where crafters could strive to join and dawn their emblem with pride.

I feel that since everyone has the ability to craft alongside their main job class's, this inevitably always devalues those that spend their time mastering an artisan profession as just a pastime or a side part of the game.

I would love for AOC to have some kind of system in place that really allows a craftsman to make a name for themselves or be a part of a crafting guild that has build a name for itself throughout the land.

Personally it would be awesome to be able to forfeit having a PVE job class and be strictly an artisan. Even if we were able to join a PVE guild and be known within the guild as their master crafter would be an awesome role to have.

As a crafter I want glory and I want fame just as those who clear the toughest PVE dungeons.

Comments

• maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This could happen if we had a deep crafting specialization in the guild skills?

But how deep and specialized do we want guilds to become?
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    In order for a crafting guild to really be a thing, crafting would need multiple people all working on an item at the same time.

This is even more important tha specialization. As a top end raider, if I were able to participate in top end content at my leisure, and have the tank participate when they can, and the healer participate when they can, and all I need to do is purchase the results of their effort and add it to my effort, that is what I would do.

It is the fact that you need to do things with others, at the same time and in the same place that causes people to want to be in guilds for top end content.
  • Ashes of Creation's crafting might be among the most in-depth and expansive crafting systems we will see from any MMO. We know that Intrepid is looking at Star Wars Galaxies for crafting systems inspiration, and from what I hear that game did it very well.

We will definitely see players or guilds that will be known for their Master level Professions (in either gathering, processing, or crafting). Since not everyone can do everything, it will be nice for the community to create codependencies.

As Noanni said, crafting and professions will definitely be a community deal, especially towards the highest level crafting. Not only will you need masters in all 3 disciplines, you will need coordinated groups to defeat the most difficult PvE encounters (well, technically PvX, but loot comes from the boss).

One aspect I am looking forward to the most is the economic side of professions with local resources, node types (scientific node will be best for crafting), and trading through the caravan system. Lots to look forward to for those into more stuff than just the combat 👍
  • I've always felt as though the reason you don't see more master-apprentice stuff in crafting nor big "crafting guilds" is resource-sharing; How do you make a system in such a way that satisfies a majority of participants?

@McShave SWG crafting *ROCKED*! The big downside was that it wasn't a side-profession paired with combat classes; it was it's own class - which meant anyone whose main toon was a trader (such as yours truly) was very limited for combat. In SWG's city sieges, my survivability relied upon how many/how strong of barricades we put up in the build-phase (30 minutes build, 30 minutes combat).

If anyone wants to check it out, don't play SWGEMU - instead, look for SWG: Legends. Some folks preferred pre-NGE/pre-CU, but that's only because of how the classes/skills used to be built; Legends better encapsulates SWG as it was by the end of the game - which had FAR more and FAR better content than pre-NGE. Their volunteer developers have also added some cool new stuff.

The gameplay isn't as good as a lot of modern games, and feels a bit more-static than WoW-type controls - but for anyone interested, it's still an option! I loved being a Shipwright and assembling whole ship kits.

• My vision of a craftsman:

1.Crafts have to have some kind of exclusivity, recognition
    2.The crafts have to be different even though they are of the same type
    3.What a craftsman must have: skill tree
    4.I would like the professions to give certain levels a combat skill or a stat boost

A trade must have several ranks or titles:
    Mines: Miner, Foreman, Engineer, Master Engineer, Royal Engineer.
    Blacksmith: Blacksmith, Gunsmith, Master Gunsmith, Goldsmith, Royal Goldsmith

Trades have to be pyramidal, for example:
    1 Royal Engineer
    3 Master Engineers
    9 Engineers
    27 Foremen
    81 Miner

The trades have to be divided into institutes and universities depending on the node. For instance

Military node: Blacksmith University (arms factory), You can obtain the 2 higher titles
    Mining Institute (Mina): you can obtain the first 3 lower titles Mining

How it would work:

f we are 2 citizens of a military node: Player A chooses blacksmith, Player B chooses Miner.

Player A has to go to an economic node to choose his profession which costs him 1 Gold.
    Player B, as he is a citizen and has an institute in his node, is free.

To move up the category in crafts it would be necessary to have some requirements fulfilled:
    Example: (miner-blacksmith) or (foreman-gunsmith)

1. Raise experience by levels 1 to 10
    2. Find x level plans and complete the profession book: make types of weapons (manufacturing - blacksmith)
    or chop x types of minerals (collection -miner)
    3. Find a diploma of (blacksmith - gunsmith) or that in the institute is activated (npc teacher foreman) as it is activated because for every 3 miners 1 title of foreman for 3 foremen 1 title engineer ... ....
    4. . From a certain level find or hire a disciple

skill tree:
    Blacksmith: can specialize in a branch of creating weapons or armor
    can specialize in weapon and armor repair
    can specialize in giving buffs to other blacksmiths to improve their rng or hammermaking skill

I apologize for my low level of English and use a translator

• What I would like to see. Is a quality upgrade after X numbers of crafting. So people can recognize the talent of the said crafter and buy his item over someone else. Like build your crafting reputation.

Having some special effects on foods, Special enchant on armor/weapon.

These kind of thing that would make you buy something over another
  • ptitoine wrote: »
    What I would like to see. Is a quality upgrade after X numbers of crafting. So people can recognize the talent of the said crafter and buy his item over someone else. Like build your crafting reputation.

Having some special effects on foods, Special enchant on armor/weapon.

These kind of thing that would make you buy something over another

This - AND it would help a player have tools to answer the question "why would I pay a thousand gold for this sword instead of five hundred for that sword?"

Does the crafter actually matter, or just the end result? Reasons why I like RNG as a chance to fail, but hate RNG for a chance to proc 'perfect quality.' IMO the upper spectrum of quality needs to be a function of player investment, crafter (character) skill, and time spent (both time spent to get to that level of crafting, and time spent to literally craft that one item).

I still go back to the Vanguard:SOH crafting system for player skill in crafting.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • getpatxi wrote: »
    I apologize for my low level of English and use a translator

Don't apologise! Your opinion is just as valid as everybody else's opinion, and so is worth sharing. Carry on as you're doing :)
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    McShave wrote: »
    Ashes of Creation's crafting might be among the most in-depth and expansive crafting systems we will see from any MMO. We know that Intrepid is looking at Star Wars Galaxies for crafting systems inspiration, and from what I hear that game did it very well.

We will definitely see players or guilds that will be known for their Master level Professions (in either gathering, processing, or crafting). Since not everyone can do everything, it will be nice for the community to create codependencies.

As Noanni said, crafting and professions will definitely be a community deal, especially towards the highest level crafting. Not only will you need masters in all 3 disciplines, you will need coordinated groups to defeat the most difficult PvE encounters (well, technically PvX, but loot comes from the boss).

One aspect I am looking forward to the most is the economic side of professions with local resources, node types (scientific node will be best for crafting), and trading through the caravan system. Lots to look forward to for those into more stuff than just the combat 👍

I really hate to, as usual, just 'hype FFXI', but since that's the game people I know play, I often need to 'justify' to them why Ashes will be better or equal at X.

To them/me, this is 'the absolute basics'. I didn't play SWG and I know it's impossible to understand the depth of a crafting system just by looking at a wiki or even a guide. Similarly, that fact makes it impossible to ask 'what would make this better than FFXI crafting?' without specifics, so here are such questions for anyone that knows.

Here's the FFXI Implementation in a nutshell. Can anyone who's played as a crafter in SWG give that a once-over and let me know? Or, if you haven't played SWG, tell me if the system you see is above or below your expectations? Was the 'HQ chance' a thing that mattered? I saw stuff about being able to use substitutes or less refined raw materials and that affected outcomes, but it's not clear if that applied to everything.

I'm really interested, but you can see how, regardless of how old the game is, it would be hard to enjoy something significantly less in depth. I don't expect that, but I'm having trouble framing the discussion.

Thanking in advance.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.