Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What do you all think of our new death animation?

SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I don't have or use twitter except to read the dev updates. I love the new death animation and effects but I think the dust on the ground after the ashes recede will be too difficult to detect in a chaotic disposition. In A1 the nameplates disappeared upon death. You can always click on the group window to resurrect players in your group but if they are not in your group you might miss the indications or the location. It might be better if a pile of ash denotes the end result so that Clerics can resurrect players with quick attention to detail, rather than checking every dark patch on the ground when combat is hectic.

Cheers,
Neu
2a3b8ichz0pd.gif

Comments

• Options
    I think it's awesome. I won't even mind dying so much when I look that good doing it!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    I agree that it will be difficult for healers to click on the ashes (dead player) in order to resurrect them. Maybe Intrepid can leave a more vertical pile of ashes so that it can be easier to see? The animation does look pretty cool tho.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think it's visually great, entirely appealing and interesting, and also completely unfit for a large scale PvP MMO.

I would find the 'piles of bodies littered across the battlefield' to be both cooler and easier to see and deal with, as a healer. I doubt that even ease of targeting would change this much, other than 'requiring some other flashing indicator or similar' which would break my immersion much more than the 'piles of bodies'.

I also like being able to 'see dead bodies from far away' and I feel like the ashes on the ground, even if they glowed, might not do a good enough job at this in most places.

I'm pretty much against it entirely, other than it looking nice.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    I think it's visually great, entirely appealing and interesting, and also completely unfit for a large scale PvP MMO.

I agree with your assessment. I had hoped to shed the resurrection skill because of this issue but my team mates/colleagues said they would replace me as Cleric if I wasn't willing to combat res. I'm not sure how to fix the issue because I love the fanciful flavours across the game so far but some of them are like wearing a mini skirt to look hot in the depths of winter.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    McShave wrote: »
    I agree that it will be difficult for healers to click on the ashes (dead player) in order to resurrect them. Maybe Intrepid can leave a more vertical pile of ashes so that it can be easier to see? The animation does look pretty cool tho.

Yes, I think the flames to ashes effects should also occur upon resurrection. I don't like the rainbow effects as much as the flames to ashes or ashes to flames. In terms of piles of ash, there must be a distinction between friend and foe if the name plates will still disappear on death (I don't want name plates not to disappear because name plates are easier to heal when the people are alive).

In some circumstances you will see loot on a corpse but most people won't join a siege or massed PvP event with lootable items in their inventory for the most part (Unless we have to transport resources to repair gates or walls). Its difficult to advise much further because in A1 the corpses just stayed on the ground after death when I played. I find the new death animation to resemble more of a single player RPG style than a MMO style in truth. I do want the flamboyant death/rebirth/resurrection cycle but I would love easier identification when the ashes/silhouette are on the ground - long grass will be a pain, ashen floors will be a pain, dark patches will be a pain, distance will be a pain, enemies and allies dying in the same area will be a pain.

Thankfully, the issues shouldn't exist in Raids and Groups, only when you are with other raids and groups in a massive fight. You could choose only to resurrect your own raids and groups but I prefer the free flow ability to target and resurrect who I believe will be most beneficial to a fight.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    What if when a character dies, they have a dead body on the ground. Then when they get resurrected or respawn, the body turns to ashes.
  • Options
    Yeah, that would be kind of easier to locate and resurrect but it won't be as cool as the ashes look on the whole effect. It is a difficult change to consider because the current concept is quite innovative but its innovative because most games don't want to deal with the confusion.

I remember in Age of Conan my Demonologist would Fatality opponents and char their corpses (Of course, resurrection didn't convert them to and from ash) but the corpse definitely was a completely charred mess. I think if the devs decide to keep the charred corpse it could be quite an innovative meld of the two AoCs.

Forgive my delays in typing, my work load has doubled recently but I get hooked by the forums. Its the sugar to my spice lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    McShave wrote: »
    What if when a character dies, they have a dead body on the ground. Then when they get resurrected or respawn, the body turns to ashes.

That would be better.
    Dead body during death. Slow resurrection animation, body turns to embers and ash and after a bit phoenix stuff happens.
  • Options
    I don’t think we need to over complicate the death animation with rez animations. If there’s a flash and the player’s alive again great.

The death animation is cool. Now I want fire arrows.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    You could have the character drink a soda and resurrect like the new soda advert for cola lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Personally, I loved the death animation!

I do however see the point being made about it being a bit hard to spot, especially from a healers perspective when there's a lot going on.
    But maybe if they made it so the ash pile was still glowing while the dead player was still in a state that allowed him/her to be resurrected. And when the player no longer could be resurrected, the glow would fade, leaving only the scattered ashes.

And to build further on this. I think it would be really cool if the ashes persisted, maybe a few days or weeks, or maybe for a set number of ashes for each player.
    So that the ashes them selves are able to tell a story to future adventurers. Either as a foretelling of nearby dangers, or a sign that a great battle that once took place.
    This is one of the aspects from the Souls games that I think is really cool. Being able to tell history from the fate of previous adventurers.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    All death it good ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    All death it good ^^

Wouldn't this be bad for business though? With no corpses to rez you have to put in all the work to remake people from ash.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Wouldn't this be bad for business though? With no corpses to rez you have to put in all the work to remake people from ash.

So, I’d have to create? Using ashes? I wonder we’d call that…

🤨

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I love the animation. I like the idea of character fireworks in large scale pvp. The 2 battle lines colliding in puffs of smoke n ash will be a great visual
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »
    All death it good ^^

Well as long as I have the soul I can make ghosts still
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    ZainoxZainox Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I really love the animation. I just worry that since we are turning to ash that it may be hard to see in long grass or something.
  • Options
    It's a very cool animation. I do like the idea of armies leaving fields of burnt ash in their wake, heroes afflicting the very earth with their conflict, but from a gameplay perspective it looks like it would be chaotic to revive outside of your own party.
  • Options
    Perhaps the pile of ashes should have the characters name tag over it - at least for those who are in the same group. Then instead of clicking on a pile of ashes you can stand near the character's name tag and click on the tag to start the resurrection process.
  • Options
    It needs a name tag and a small beacon over each pile of ash. Otherwise it's cool.
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »

So, I’d have to create? Using ashes? I wonder we’d call that…

🤨

giphy.gif
  • Options
    Ulfbrinter wrote: »
    It needs a name tag and a small beacon over each pile of ash. Otherwise it's cool.

Maybe the beacon could be phoenix-shaped? Almost like the phoenix is ready and waiting to burst forth, Alien-style, from the corpse's chest!
  • Options
    I think the new death animation looks cool, altough I think a specific and unique animation based on race would be better. Always loved the World of Warcraft (Vanilla)) death animations; they are cute, not graphic and some of them are pretty funny, such as the gnome ones or the dwarfs'.