Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What I expect from AoC.

xDeexDee Member
edited October 2021 in General Discussion
Simple. learn from the mistakes other games did.

1. Say P2W a big NO. No best items in-store, No items that make you better in store. Keep the fair competition intact. Put into the market mounts, gear skins, pets, whatever cosmetic you want. Trust me, players will buy it if they like it. And make these things tradeable ingame. With this, you give the chance poorer players to get items from Market with ingame currency, and you kill RMT. If players don't have the time to make money, they can buy a skin, if they can afford it, and sell it in game for ingame currency. BUT CARE to to keep it balanced. Check out eve online..

2. No PVP flagging system. SO, please. Don't make the mistake what NW did.

3. RISK/award integrity. So. Sorry guys. You die, you lose all you have on you. Learn to manage your stuff. If you go out farming don't equip your ultimate PvP or PvE gear. For gathering you can run around in crap gear too... What you wear depends on you. You wanna be more good, you play with better gear. The attacker has the same risk.. He doesn't know what you wear, he won't come at you with this ultima gear either. He doesn't want to lose his stuff either... Let crafters make their job, and give them the possibility to have a market where people buy things, cause they lose things.

4. Alliance system . Let corps form alliances. Let alliances hold nodes.

5. Make crafting good, and make it feel important What does a crafter do? He crafts items. Why? To sell it? Give the game the right supply/demand ratio. Check out Eve Online. It has the best systems that work sooooo well one with each other.

6. Content and different playstyles. So. Perhaps not everyone likes crafting. Give them a solution to make in-game currency, so they buy all the gear from crafters on the market.

7. No dungeon item drops. The moment you make dungeon items a thing, crafting loses its value. Let ALLL the items be player-made. Make dungeons drop crafting materials or blueprints instead, what crafters can use, and players with no willing to craft can sell it! The outcome is the same. In the end, you will have your item. Only it won't be a drop. It will be the cash that will help you buy it.

8. Real player driven economy. You need only 1 thing. Everything is player-made. Simple. Again. Check out eve online.

9. Battlegrounds, arena, world PVP for Pvp players and raids, dungeons, pve events for pve players.

10. Dungeon Finder tool. Seriously. It's annoying to spam chat with LFG and LFM. It's 2021. let me hit a button, and let me play while a team comes up for me to enter the dungeon.I will play with strangers either way... But forget the Raid group finder tool please. Let raids be corporation based

11. Give character classes a meaning. . Not every class has to be top DPS. For example. A mage is all about high dmg. A rogue is all about trickiness, stealth, and CC. Let every class find its own potential in a group.

12. Lore. But let the lore be made by players. So. we speak about a territorial conquest game. About corps who want to grow bigger and bigger. A nice history book can be written in their actions!
13. Addons support. let players have UI tweak addons, damage meters, what they want. No game was destroyed due to addons. And measuring your activity thru dmg meters keeps you pushing to be better. But ban addons that help you on boss tactics like DBM in WoW. Let PvE content be a challenge.

Sorry for mentioning EvE online that much, but it has the BEST and the most systems that work together in harmony. I couldn't find any other game that had so many possibilities and all of them are viable the same way and work perfectly.
If any of you disagree, feel free to type in your thoughts... this is only personal expectation.

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    What do you mean by 2. ?
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited October 2021
    What do you mean by 2. ?

assuming he wants full loot pvp I believe he just wants there not to be an option to go "pve mode", unable to be attacked.

Though it's odd because it feels like he just sort of wrote this list before looking at the systems planned for AoC.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
    edited October 2021
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

https://youtu.be/1s82xJnx1EY

There are many interviews with Steven where he gives details of the progress, ideas, things that could change/improve, etc.

The healthiest thing is to look at the monthly update that Intrepid present to us (this month there is a 24 hrs stream) and look at Wiki.
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited October 2021
    1. No P2W is a pledge Steven has taken. This includes stuff like XP boosts and inventory slots.

2. There is a kind of flagging system, but you can still be attacked anytime anywhere (except Freeholds) unlike New World where you have to be flagged to be attacked.

3. This won't be a thing. The only chance you have to lose (some of their) gear will be if you're Corrupted. Regular non-combatants or combatants have a 0% chance to drop their gear, but you will drop gatherables on death regardless of your flagging state.

4. There will be alliances between Guilds but Guilds don't own Nodes so alliances can't "own" Nodes either.

5. They're obviously planning for their crafting system to be important.

6. People will be able to make money through combat.

7. There will be dungeon item drops. Not really any point of dungeons if they don't drop items, but the dungeons will be mostly open-world so players can fight other players inside them to contest rooms for mobs/bosses.

8. Not "everything" will be player made. Bosses drop equipment for example.

9. That's all planned.

10. There's no dungeon finder planned. Gotta look for a group manually or use the Town Boards to see if anyone is looking for a group/member.

11. -

12. There'll be both player made lore and dev created lore since Ashes was created in the first place based on Steven's Pathfinder campaign.

13. They have no plans to allow addons right now. Steven doesn't like them.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    McMackMuckMcMackMuck Member
    edited October 2021
    @xDee
    Please have a look through:
    https://www.ashesofcreation.wiki/
    https://www.ashes101.com/
    https://www.asheshq.com/
    They all present 'loosely' the same information in different ways.
    It should give you many enjoyable hours of informative reading and watching about what the community expects Ashes of Creation to contain. The game has been in development for several years so if you only discovered Ashes recently there's a good amount to catch up on.

We know Steven's intentions from various items of information he has made public.
    Many systems are waiting to be tested and will probably change to some degree as a result of testing.

The information in the above websites addresses much of your list, or at least state what we do and don't know on each subject.

There have been occasions in the past where a minority of community members have been "a little salty" with new members not doing any research before posting. I'm really happy to see that everyone has been helpful with your post.

Welcome to the forum!
    Forum_Signature.png
  • Options
    Mopy KingMopy King Member
    edited October 2021
    Cosmetics are planned to be linked to account which is the only reason I don't mind the cosmetic shop. If you purchase a cosmetic with the sole intent of selling it, even if it is linked for a certain period of time, that's just buying in game money with extra steps. I'd be severely disappointed if they ever changed their mind on that.
  • Options
    In response, here is what I expect from AoC:

1. Cash donation to my wallet every month
    2. Give me all the best loot when i log in for the first time
    3. A cold glass of beer and a nice wench to keep me warm at night
    4. A private jet to fly me around

Its nice to want stuff, but just like, accept what it is?
  • Options
    Hm... I'd suggest reading the wiki and some dedicated Ashes info (e.g. Ashes101) and calibrate your expectations accordingly. I guess the good thing is that they are your expectations. ;)
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »
    What do you mean by 2. ?

assuming he wants full loot pvp I believe he just wants there not to be an option to go "pve mode", unable to be attacked.

Though it's odd because it feels like he just sort of wrote this list before looking at the systems planned for AoC.

I suspect his point is that Intrepid should not pussy out of this design like Amazon did.

Amazon initially intended to do esentially what Intrepid is promising now, in regards to open world pvp.

But they pussied out.

And that was a very very bad change for New World.

So yeah, I really hope they keep to their promises and don't start abandoning them left and right like Amazon did.

• Options
    Ironhope wrote: »
    Sathrago wrote: »
    What do you mean by 2. ?

I suspect his point is that Intrepid should not pussy out of this design like Amazon did.

Amazon initially intended to do esentially what Intrepid is promising now, in regards to open world pvp.

But they pussied out.

And that was a very very bad change for New World.

So yeah, I really hope they keep to their promises and don't start abandoning them left and right like Amazon did.

Amazon didn't have any punishment system to prevent a murderfest like AoCs corruption system. Personally PvP only without corruption sounds terrible. 1v1 would be fine and all but in NW if you're running around PvP flagged by yourself you are asking to get a 2 or 3v1... And that's not fun. That just promotes the mob murder parties that form.
  • Options
    Amazon didn't have any punishment system to prevent a murderfest like AoCs corruption system.

''The baby is dirty... get the flame thrower'' - Amazon Gaming 2021

. And that's not fun. That just promotes the mob murder parties that form.

Even with corruption I don't see how you will be able to solve that.
  • Options
    For economy they can take albion as an example to, even drops from chests, mobs and bosses are player made
  • Options
    Ramirez wrote: »
    For economy they can take albion as an example to, even drops from chests, mobs and bosses are player made

the black market is an amazing feature that really pulls the whole system together.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Amazon didn't have any punishment system to prevent a murderfest like AoCs corruption system. Personally PvP only without corruption sounds terrible.
    Amazon originally had a system (in alpha) that if you ganked a much lower level character you were marked (forget what they called you), you were like an outlaw. And from that point on anyone who killed you would get all your loot. I thought it was a pretty good idea, and a decent deterrent for people to kill lowbies.

The other thing Amazon did that I thought was a very good idea, though many disagree with me, is they had pvp scaling in the closed beta. It mitigated the difference between a higher level geared player so that if a lower level player was better skilled they would win. But not so much that the higher level player did not have a significant advantage over a lower level player, like 60 vs 20 for example. However, a level 60 and level 40 player were pretty evenly matched.

This scaling did 2 things it turned pvp into skill-based rather than gear/level based. Which makes pvp more rewarding. If you couple this with a questing system that actually teaches you how to pvp then it makes your pvp game so much more attractive, challenging, and rewarding. And what I mean by questing teaches you is, that instead of having the usual unchallenging quest were you kill mobs effortlessly, the mobs have the same type of skills as other players, and they are hard to beat, just like other players, but they are designed to train you how to beat them. More I could say about that but....