Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How close is this game to rift?

I used to play wow back in the day, quit when i saw that the pattern was to make gear obsolete with each expansion. Not to mention gathering materials and gold was not easy unless you played a lot of hours and lets face it we arent 17 anymore(most of us).

Then i got rift and in 4 months i had the best gear and generally felt that the game respected my time. I had more fun with the rift endgame (dimensions -wardrobes and even minion and artifact hunting!) than anywhere else. Rift had the friendliest f2p model and the best mmo mechanics overall eg in gw2 if you dont have a material you need to run to the auction house and then back to the workbench, in rift you could simply buy the material from ah where you stood instead of running to and fro.

so my question to those who play this and might have played rift aswell is how close is this game to rift?

Comments

• Options
    Do you still play rift?

I never played it, but I know for a fact that Ashes won't allow you to buy stuff off of the ah wherever you stand, because that would make caravan trading pointless.

Distance will actually matter in Ashes, so don't expect to teleport everywhere and have convenience features like dungeon group finder. I think this is for the best, as it brings back the feeling of an open world. MMOs now just feel like standard multiplayer games, with people just teleporting around to points of interest.

In fact, don't expect Ashes to be like any of the cookie cutter games in a regressing genre. It's trying to go against industry trends.
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    Not really close to RIFT at all. It's closer to games like ArcheAge or Lineage 2.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    Thanks bigepeen and talents, bigepeen yes i still "play" rift although that game is dead. By play i mean i usually dabble in my dimension which is a private space where you can make houses, put various stuff in it from sculls to trees to whatever. But the game is dead because trion did some poor decisions unfortunately.

Talents thanks i saw about archeage elsewhere and am thinking to download that and try to get a feel of how it was in its prime. This would give me a good feel about the game
  • Options
    SAMITAS wrote: »
    Talents thanks i saw about archeage elsewhere and am thinking to download that and try to get a feel of how it was in its prime. This would give me a good feel about the game

You'll struggle to get a sense of what ArcheAge was like in its prime if you play it now. One of the main reasons Steven started creating Ashes was because of how badly ArcheAge started to deteriorate. ArcheAge is trash nowadays.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    yeah i know, an empty mmo is only a shadow of its former self but still reaching 30-40 lvs will give some idea hopefuly
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    SAMITAS wrote: »
    yeah i know, an empty mmo is only a shadow of its former self but still reaching 30-40 lvs will give some idea hopefuly

In terms of Archeage, it won't give you an idea of what the game was at all.

The first 20 - 30 levels of that game you will spend in a single faction, PvE only area. You are unlikely to even do a trade run at all in that period of time - and trade runs are what Archeage is built upon.
  • Options
    Tbf you get to level 30 in like an hour or 2 in ArcheAge if you just rush the main story quests and ignore all the side quests
    nI17Ea4.png