Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What dungeon would be the dungeon of your dreams?

JeanPhilippeQCJeanPhilippeQC Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited October 2021 in General Discussion
What would be the dungeon style you would play any day?
I would play anytime a winter themed dungeon, a snow wasteland. It could be inspirated from the Snowcloak from Final Fantasy XIV or the frost one from early The Elder Scrolls Online. I can see an ice platform jump puzzle. You must jump on the platforms in the right order OR you will be damaged over time by a heavy ice debuff. The enemies inside would be something like a pack of winter wolves, yetis, ice elementals, frostwyrms, frost giants. The last boss would use ice based AoE as one of its attacks.

Comments

• Options
    Honestly, the kind that no one knows about, that I stumbled into while tracking some weird set of footprints. To feel like I'm finding clues to a problem that's much larger than I realized and more relevant to the survival of the node. Cool mechanics great. Interesting fights yes. But more 'i found this weird place' and less 'I got my drop on the 47th run.'
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    I really like the idea of open world PvX dungeon. Groups will pass by each other, asking about how many groups are in. You see a group from a guild or node you don't like and you fight them. After an hour or 2 you get enough gatherable goods and drops so you leave and go back to your node

It would be great to have interesting boss fights and find hidden rooms/ treasures. Hopefully there will be proper scouting tools so that you can monitor what is behind or ahead of you.
  • Options
    I've never seen a "competitive" dungeon. Yours truly recently suggested a "Squid Game" dungeon on the forums. It'd be neat to get 12 people together who either compete individually, or together at only certain parts of the dungeon, for something akin to a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prize - but again, out of a larger number of players.

• Options
    I don't know about a dungeon of my dreams but I would love to see a raid/dungeon which looks like an old elven city ruins that is filled with colossal Ent-like tree creatures. This place could be deep inside an ancient forest. I copied this from my old comment that I posted into another thread sometime ago. :smile:
  • Options
    Puzzles, Traps, splitting the party, and boss fights that can be harder or easier depending on how you handle the puzzles/traps leading up to them.
    I look at the quest, Party Crashers, in DDO, which uses these elements very well.
  • Options
    What dungeon would be the dungeon of your dreams?

I think I'd get banned for answering this question...
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    ClintHardwoodClintHardwood Member
    edited November 2021
    I'd like a dungeon where the mobs and environmental dangers grow in severity the deeper you go. The areas near the entrance have a few scattered resource nodes which increase in tier and quantity alongside the hazards. There is no end. There is no 'finish'. Eventually, the mobs and bosses become so strong that your group has no choice but to leave, improve their teamwork, or die.
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    One without markers, or specific quests, but rather as you do quests, you hear myths, rumours, stories. Given to you in very subtle ways, you'd have to investigate without the game letting you really know in any way. Sort of like Elder Scrolls lorebooks, you can read things, perhaps about a civilisation long gone, one that didn't leave Vera in time. You'll have to gather a multitude of clues to even figure out where it is. Passwords, or perhaps items (Like gemstones in a statue) are required for the entrance to even show up. The dungeon itself, then doesn't matter too much to me, because it's the journey, the true essence of discovery.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    I enjoy most dungeons less and less the more I do them, so my dream dungeon would be one that would evolve and change over time, the mechanics especially. If that were triggered by changes outside the dungeon then even better.
  • Options
    ButtercupCloverButtercupClover Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    My favorite dungeon is... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

But in all seriousness, my favorite thing isn't the dungeon itself but the mechanics involved in it. I enjoy raids and dungeons that feel like a dance that needs to be practiced until perfection and once everyone in your team has it down, the experience is smooth and makes you feel like you have gotten better at working with your allies while feeling like you improved yourself as well.
  • Options
    I liked the Infinite dungeon in ADOM
    https://ancardia.fandom.com/wiki/Infinite_Dungeon
  • Options
    ApictraxApictrax Member
    edited November 2021
    I always loved dungeons where everything was scaled soo big that your character appeared like a small bug or rat compared to the size of everything around him. Karazhan in World of Warcraft was therefore my favorite dungeon: it had haunting music and creepy sounds like squeaking of a door, ghost voices, etc. I was always afraid of losing my group and to not find the way on my own or to accidently pull an invisible mob, which was waiting before the next door. Therefore only the tank would step forward and lead the way. Blackrock Depths was also one of my all time favorites.

My favorite dungeon would therefore be something similar: something like an (abandonded) castle, built for or by giants. Everything is that big, that even a spoon on the floor or a mouse trap would be bigger than you.
    There would be multiple rooms (kitchen, basement, ball room, living room, torture chamber, etc), multiple floors and multiple locations with different types of mobs and bosses such as: ghosts, undeads, spiders, bugs, snakes, bats and other creepy and spooky creatures. Maybe a creepy creature like an evil house demon dog would guard a hallways and you would have to fight it and it would have a size of a giant dog. There would be many different paths, labyrinths, traps and puzzles players would have to solve and overcome. The ambience is dark, spooky, creepy and scary. The dungeon must have some really rare and useful items, so players would come again and again to farm a specific rare item or a crafting recipe.
  • Options
    McMackMuckMcMackMuck Member
    edited November 2021
    A shifting time-slot access dungeon where there are many paths through that lead to an exit, several more to a dead-end, but only a few that lead to a boss fight with a loot chest and an exit. Clues gathered far and wide outside the dungeon tie up with markings inside the dungeon, leaving you with "five minutes" (ten?) in each area to deal with mobs and then hunt around for the markings that indicate the next area you want to go to.

At the end of the "five minutes" each area would be purged - rising lava, squishing blocks, 100,000 blow darts, poison gas, soul-fire, a horde of ravenous scarab beetles, washed away via a waterfall into the under-realm, whatever works. Each area would have a choice of exit antechambers for players to wait in (for 30? seconds) whilst the periodic area purges occur throughout the dungeon. When the periodic purge starts all the antechambers are sealed. "Lift music" may play in the antechambers? After each periodic purge the basic area mobs re-spawn, then players in an antechamber are pushed into a new area and the arrival antechamber closes.

This kind of approach would allow several groups in a dungeon at once, separated by multiples of "five minutes" and by several possible paths. It could be the case that the loot only respawns "every six hours" and the boss mob only respawns "every three hours", meaning that you don't 100% know if another group has passed through your intended path of the dungeon recently and already grabbed the loot. It could be the case, due to the timing of re-spawns, that a previous group passed through recently finding only the boss mob and no loot, so that when your group passes through you find no boss mob and an unprotected loot chest! Mis-fortune and Good fortune generate great stories.

This may seem like it goes against the "90% open world dungeon" theme, but there's nothing stopping...
    1) multiple groups from piling into the dungeon at the same time, with all the drama that could potentially occur, different route choices? or follow to snipe the loot?, etc.,
    2) groups from camping by one of several dungeon exits to PvP groups when they exit.
    Forum_Signature.png
  • Options
    McMackMuck wrote: »
    At the end of the "five minutes" each area would be purged - rising lava, squishing blocks, 100,000 blow darts, poison gas, soul-fire, a horde of ravenous scarab beetles, washed away via a waterfall into the under-realm, whatever works.

Heh, I quite like that idea.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Just play Diablo 1 in the Church and Catacombs dungeons. Those are my favorite aesthetics for dungeons.
    I just like going through dungeons as a party and killing the boss.

I'd rather not have Squid Games/Fall Guys in the game at all because I don't want to be forced to play a completely different genre of game at all. I don't mind them existing if they only give crappy cosmetics though.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    Dark age of Camelot had a PVE/PVP dungeon where the different factions had their own entrances and would fight through the dungeon to get to one of the other factions' sides to attack them. It was awesome being a rogue and being able to stealth to one of the other factions' sides to surprise them.