Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Concern upon release.

Josie1577Josie1577 Member
edited October 2021 in General Discussion
My worst nightmare would be that there will be to many cosmetic items for sale and mounts for sale. this is not including holiday specials. That's different I get it once a year fun little mount or hat here and there for like 5 bucks or something, but If they release mounts like that cancer causing game from blizzard and sell them for like $25 I will be furious with this game. I mean leave the mounts for people who deserve them. I am also not counting the Kickstarter stuff or voyager packs to help support game development but once the game launches THATS IT no more cosmetic gear for sale. All armor, weapons and mounts should be earned or crafted. If they have a store it should be for something like furniture or something innocent that is not to much of a big deal. But watch out DEVS, if you mess up by adding to many cosmetics crap in the game for the sake of profit YOU WILL RUIN the game's progression and sense of accomplishment for end game armor when fucking BILLY with his mommy's credit card can get something far better and cooler looking.
If you must do something with the store then do actual store items like RL shirts and stuff for us players to support the game but please for the love of all that is holy DO NOT SELL IN GAME GEAR OR ITEMS or your game will fail in the long term.

SELL real life items to us players - Gaming mouse, keyboard, cloths or something with ashes of creation branding. That's it, you get your money we get our untainted game plus cool merch, easy everybody wins.

Comments

• Options
    ShadonSolShadonSol Moderator, Member, Alpha One
    Moved to General Discussion.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    Have to fully disagree. Any Cash Shop should only be cosmetics. Since there will be variants of every set attainable by in-game activity (and because Steven Sharif has specifically stated they are trying to reserve the "best"-looking variants as in-game attainable), it just feels like you're not doing research before posting about such a concern.

Some people IRL are rich; they'll be better dressed than you, and look way cooler while out-and-about, in the IRL world. Do you really thing that a pre-existing society like Sanctus won't have upperclassmen? Wouldn't it only make sense that the upper class and the wealthy of Sanctus might also be making the pilgrimage to Verra - and thus look better than you, doing it?

• Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited October 2021
    Josie1577 wrote: »
    My worst nightmare would be that there will be to many cosmetic items for sale and mounts for sale. this is not including holiday specials. That's different I get it once a year fun little mount or hat here and there for like 5 bucks or something, but If they release mounts like that cancer causing game from blizzard and sell them for like $25 I will be furious with this game. I mean leave the mounts for people who deserve them. I am also not counting the Kickstarter stuff or voyager packs to help support game development but once the game launches THATS IT no more cosmetic gear for sale. All armor, weapons and mounts should be earned or crafted. If they have a store it should be for something like furniture or something innocent that is not to much of a big deal. But watch out DEVS, if you mess up by adding to many cosmetics crap in the game for the sake of profit YOU WILL RUIN the game's progression and sense of accomplishment for end game armor when fucking BILLY with his mommy's credit card can get something far better and cooler looking.
    If you must do something with the store then do actual store items like RL shirts and stuff for us players to support the game but please for the love of all that is holy DO NOT SELL IN GAME GEAR OR ITEMS or your game will fail in the long term.

SELL real life items to us players - Gaming mouse, keyboard, cloths or something with ashes of creation branding. That's it, you get your money we get our untainted game plus cool merch, easy everybody wins.

They already plan to sell costumes/mount skins/pet skins/freehold skins etc. on the store when the game launches, it isn't exclusive to the pre-launch packs. If you're someone that cares that much about "visual progression" then that's not a focus of this game.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    I don't care if they sell skins. Please, Intrepid, sell all the skins you want. As long as the cash shop doesn't affect the gameplay, make all the money you need. Cheers.
  • Options
    Have to fully disagree. Any Cash Shop should only be cosmetics. Since there will be variants of every set attainable by in-game activity (and because Steven Sharif has specifically stated they are trying to reserve the "best"-looking variants as in-game attainable), it just feels like you're not doing research before posting about such a concern.

Some people IRL are rich; they'll be better dressed than you, and look way cooler while out-and-about, in the IRL world. Do you really thing that a pre-existing society like Sanctus won't have upperclassmen? Wouldn't it only make sense that the upper class and the wealthy of Sanctus might also be making the pilgrimage to Verra - and thus look better than you, doing it?

I am aware of what Steve said but I have to disagree with that. It is only a concern of how it will affect the integrity of the game. I have done my due diligence before posting and thus have put thought into this post. I am sorry if this upsets anyone but it is a concern. Regardless of what you say if they sell cosmetics on a regular basis will kind of take away from the progression of the game ya know? Like I made a basic set of gloves and one day I crafted a cool one but I have been wearing the poopy ones right, so then it feels great to finally have a cool pair of gloves. I am giving them something to think about. Also to your point of rIch in IRL that makes sense and I can see what you mean but I do not agree with that when it comes to the player.
  • Options
    I don't care if they sell skins. Please, Intrepid, sell all the skins you want. As long as the cash shop doesn't affect the gameplay, make all the money you need. Cheers.

That is pretty closed minded. Try thinking of it in a progressive standpoint. Although you are on point when i t comes to cosmetics affecting gameplay, that would be horrible lol
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sure, there's loss of visual progression - I just feel it's worth the extra income stream and accomodating to whales who WANT to spend more and get something for it - without compromising on functional progression.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »
    Sure, there's loss of visual progression - I just feel it's worth the extra income stream and accomodating to whales who WANT to spend more and get something for it - without compromising on functional progression.

Yes you are right. Just makes me sad inside. Cause it will take away from all of the work that they did on the low level gear. :( idk about everyone else but I would hate to work on something for years for it to be replaced by a cosmetic. Although I understand not everyone will buy them but the opportunity is there. But thank you for the awesome post.
  • Options
    I would rather put it this way: As long as I cannot buy stuff that totally outclasses all items I can earn in game (in terms of looks/visual effects), I don't mind cosmetics. If they don't take away ingame achievement, there is nothing wrong for ppl who have the cash to spend the cash.
  • Options
    Grimfaldra wrote: »
    I would rather put it this way: As long as I cannot buy stuff that totally outclasses all items I can earn in game (in terms of looks/visual effects), I don't mind cosmetics. If they don't take away ingame achievement, there is nothing wrong for ppl who have the cash to spend the cash.
    Talents wrote: »

They already plan to sell costumes/mount skins/pet skins/freehold skins etc. on the store when the game launches, it isn't exclusive to the pre-launch packs. If you're someone that cares that much about "visual progression" then that's not a focus of this game.

The focus of the game should be THE GAME and ALL progression. There is nothing to defend. I care about the mistakes of the past and this is a concern. What would be your nightmare?
  • Options

The focus of the game should be THE GAME and ALL progression. There is nothing to defend. I care about the mistakes of the past and this is a concern. What would be your nightmare?

Come up with a better non-p2w solution than selling cosmetics to fund the game and you will be hailed as a hero.

Take your time.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sathrago wrote: »

Come up with a better non-p2w solution than selling cosmetics to fund the game and you will be hailed as a hero.

Take your time.

It would have to be real life merch, or something within the IP that isn't ingame. Collector plushies, books, clothes, cards (like MTG), mouse pads, mice, keyboards etc. etc. But you need to establish the IP first to really make it sell obviously.
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »
    Sathrago wrote: »

Take your time.

It would have to be real life merch, or something within the IP that isn't ingame. Collector plushies, books, clothes, cards (like MTG), mouse pads, mice, keyboards etc. etc. But you need to establish the IP first to really make it sell obviously.

Correct and this is, as you said, just not possible for a brand new IP.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    I love the merch idea!

But yeah, it's also really hard to get attached to the IP of a sandbox game, because you can't curate the content to the same level of emotional investment that a single-player story driven game has.
  • Options
    I love the comments! Keep it up ladies and gents! The thing is regardless they will have to find an alternative to cosmetics skins because the serious players do not like that people can just buy cool gear with their credit card and skipped the real challenge and progression. Its just not the way to go about an MMORPG.

But Merch on the other hand Id spend hundreds of dollars on to support this game easy. Id rock that on a Saturday night game in a raid 😎😎
  • Options
    The thing is regardless they will have to find an alternative to cosmetics skins because the serious players do not like that people can just buy cool gear with their credit card and skipped the real challenge and progression. Its just not the way to go about an MMORPG.

They're already making a boatload of cash from it, or they wouldn't be doing it. Anyone spending money on the game this early is already pretty "serious" about it. Please speak for yourself, and not the rest of us!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited November 2021
    The thing is regardless they will have to find an alternative to cosmetics skins because the serious players do not like that people can just buy cool gear with their credit card and skipped the real challenge and progression. Its just not the way to go about an MMORPG.

It's so weird having to defend skins, but I must do it: what facts prove your statements?

I've spent more money than I should have in skins and I consider myself a "serious player", therefore your statements are false. Right?

P.S.: not trying to be rude, but opinions aren't facts.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

They're already making a boatload of cash from it, or they wouldn't be doing it. Anyone spending money on the game this early is already pretty "serious" about it. Please speak for yourself, and not the rest of us!

I said serious gamers. I am speaking for myself and many gamers I have spoken too. I wont speak for anyone that does not understand what I am saying. Do not come here with the notion that I have no basis to stand on, read the rest of my responses to folks here. This is not a discussion to start a negative conversation. You need to understand progression and the fact cosmetics are harmful to the game as a whole. Its pure fact. At the moment the voyager packs are fine for raising money I get it, however when the game is fully released it will harm it. This is not an "opinion", its simply fact. I want this game to succeed so bad to the point I am actually speaking out about this and giving myself a voice and anyone who thinks like me. If you don't agree them don't that's fine. I have to say something so if it happens then I at least tried to do something about it.
    Also if you are so fixated on my "serious gamer" comment then look if you are a serious gamer then you are no one cares, I was speaking about folks I know so If I don't know you then you cant get mad at anything.
  • Options
    BaSkA13 wrote: »

It's so weird having to defend skins, but I must do it: what facts prove your statements?

I've spent more money than I should have in skins and I consider myself a "serious player", therefore your statements are false. Right?

P.S.: not trying to be rude, but opinions aren't facts.

What facts prove my statements.... seriously... -_-
  • Options
    If you comment on here please understand progression and give me actual reasons as to why this would be healthy for the game... please change my mind if you can. If you cant provide a solid argument then just read and move on.
  • Options

That's exactly what I thought. Cheers!
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    BaSkA13 wrote: »

That's exactly what I thought. Cheers!

Lets start with World of Warcraft - the mounts they sell ruined mount collecting in the game as well as any cosmetics that they provided. Lets take a look shall we? Okay, they sell gold for real money - hence you can buy anything, next GW2 does plenty of cosmetics thus progression visually became stale within a year all in the pursuit of money.
    Now because you comment is quite childish to begin with and merits no argument except with you challenging my "opinions" then please find me a good reason that is HEALTHY for the game that cosmetics wont hurt its longevity. I want to know where you are getting information from or if you simply bored and want to stir the pot?
    This game can still be a massive success with cosmetics however it will still hurt a very important part of the game - the spirit of the MMORPG is actually located in the VISUAL progression of said game. No matter what you want to look cool but if you can snap your fingers and buy the "cool factor" then the challenge factor falls apart.
  • Options

I said serious gamers. I am speaking for myself and many gamers I have spoken too. I wont speak for anyone that does not understand what I am saying. Do not come here with the notion that I have no basis to stand on, read the rest of my responses to folks here. This is not a discussion to start a negative conversation. You need to understand progression and the fact cosmetics are harmful to the game as a whole. Its pure fact. At the moment the voyager packs are fine for raising money I get it, however when the game is fully released it will harm it. This is not an "opinion", its simply fact. I want this game to succeed so bad to the point I am actually speaking out about this and giving myself a voice and anyone who thinks like me. If you don't agree them don't that's fine. I have to say something so if it happens then I at least tried to do something about it.
    Also if you are so fixated on my "serious gamer" comment then look if you are a serious gamer then you are no one cares, I was speaking about folks I know so If I don't know you then you cant get mad at anything.

LOL. Big LOLs. It must be nice to be able to speak to the only serious gamers in the world. Who'd have thought that every serious gamer in the world happens to know you and to have spoken to you about this?! It's almost unbelievable...

"if you are a serious gamer then you are no one cares"
    but
    "serious players do not like that people can just buy cool gear with their credit card"
    Interesting that you're happy to change your stance on "serious gamers" depending on whether or not someone's agreeing with you...

A cosmetic-only cash shop is an extra revenue stream for the company to boost income so that they can pay staff and develop the game further. Cosmetic-only items do not damage gameplay, they don't interfere with in-game systems, and they're not the death of games. That's why the majority of all serious (see what I did there?!) games right now use them. The digital items have a minimal cost, and once made back, don't require any further cost. Once you've recouped that initial outlay, it's pure profit. Digital items are often sold as-is and are generally non-refundable.

Physical merchandise has a continuous cost associated with it. You have to pay for each item before you can sell it, and so your profit margin is less. You have to pay to store the items you haven't yet sold. The customer is allowed to return physical items for a refund, meaning there's still the potential to lose the sale even after it's sold. Physical merchandise, while great to have (and I have plenty), is an inferior product for a company like this to sell.

I get that you're on a crusade against cash shops, and I'm not against that crusade per se, but don't try to make out that the company earning extra money at ~100% profit is going to be the death of them, cos that's blatantly ridiculous. You're also incorrectly assuming that all store items look "far better", when Intrepid themselves have openly stated that this will not be the case. There was an awesome-looking mount shown in the latest stream which will be achievable in-game. There will be more, and plenty of them.

The Ashes Cosmetic Shop isn't going anywhere. If that's a problem for you, you need to make your peace with it sooner rather than later!
  • Options
    Dammit, you made me "essay"......

giphy.gif
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dammit, you made me "essay"......

giphy.gif

No True Scotsman would buy his kilt in a cash shop.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options

LOL. Big LOLs. It must be nice to be able to speak to the only serious gamers in the world. Who'd have thought that every serious gamer in the world happens to know you and to have spoken to you about this?! It's almost unbelievable...

"if you are a serious gamer then you are no one cares"
    but
    "serious players do not like that people can just buy cool gear with their credit card"
    Interesting that you're happy to change your stance on "serious gamers" depending on whether or not someone's agreeing with you...

A cosmetic-only cash shop is an extra revenue stream for the company to boost income so that they can pay staff and develop the game further. Cosmetic-only items do not damage gameplay, they don't interfere with in-game systems, and they're not the death of games. That's why the majority of all serious (see what I did there?!) games right now use them. The digital items have a minimal cost, and once made back, don't require any further cost. Once you've recouped that initial outlay, it's pure profit. Digital items are often sold as-is and are generally non-refundable.

Physical merchandise has a continuous cost associated with it. You have to pay for each item before you can sell it, and so your profit margin is less. You have to pay to store the items you haven't yet sold. The customer is allowed to return physical items for a refund, meaning there's still the potential to lose the sale even after it's sold. Physical merchandise, while great to have (and I have plenty), is an inferior product for a company like this to sell.

I get that you're on a crusade against cash shops, and I'm not against that crusade per se, but don't try to make out that the company earning extra money at ~100% profit is going to be the death of them, cos that's blatantly ridiculous. You're also incorrectly assuming that all store items look "far better", when Intrepid themselves have openly stated that this will not be the case. There was an awesome-looking mount shown in the latest stream which will be achievable in-game. There will be more, and plenty of them.

The Ashes Cosmetic Shop isn't going anywhere. If that's a problem for you, you need to make your peace with it sooner rather than later!

I love this comment except for the start of it. Salty I talked about "serious gamers" AGAIN. You have made good points in trying to justify the cosmetics. That's all well and good. I have stated before that all VISAUL items will hurt the integrity of the game. I have made peace with this sad fact long ago however I never have openly spoken up about it because I felt it was pointless due to bad companies not listing. But this is an amazing company that I have faith in and even if they release things I will still play the game but sorry to tell you that even if Steve say's that the in game gear will be better, tat is still considered an opinion. Visual progression is one of the fundamental things in an MMORPG that matter greatly. So go ahead and sit there and defend this issue and attack my side comments since you are such a "serious gamer"( see what I also did there).
  • Options
    If your enjoyment of the game is *so* vitally tied into the visual progression, why don't you just not use cosmetic gear?

You seem pretty concerned about what the next player over is wearing. As long as it's not a thong or a complete Japanese lolli get-up, what do you care if someone looks better than you do?

Why shouldn't other players be able to use cosmetics, if it doesn't affect their enjoyment? In my case, it *enhances* it, given the RP I've got planned for my main toon-to-be.

• Options
    If your enjoyment of the game is *so* vitally tied into the visual progression, why don't you just not use cosmetic gear?

You seem pretty concerned about what the next player over is wearing. As long as it's not a thong or a complete Japanese lolli get-up, what do you care if someone looks better than you do?

Why shouldn't other players be able to use cosmetics, if it doesn't affect their enjoyment? In my case, it *enhances* it, given the RP I've got planned for my main toon-to-be.

I agree, but I think Josie is coming at it from a high-level design perspective - about the overall feel of the game (hence lamenting the entire existence of the cash shop altogether) which involves decisions about how all players play the game.
  • Options
    MMO players will ALWAYS find something to complain about, it's in our nature. However, being against cosmetic cash shop items is so far down my list that I would be overjoyed if that was my biggest gripe.

I think many games have cosmetic items that are so out of touch with their art style and world that their mere creation was a disservice to the game and world setting. But I've long let go of wanting a players gear to tell a story of what raids they've completed or rare spawns they've farmed.

• Options
    I understand how you feel about visual progression but cosmetics are the least destructive way to earn the needed revenue that I know of.
    I think the way they have spoken of it so far is fine, some unique items that will not be sold and other items will be in the shop.
    I am also not a fan of gatekeeping by referring to people as "serious gamers" as that implies that others opinions are void due to them not meeting your definition of what a serious gamer is instead of judging the merits of the argument.