Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

World-building tools

Story is a big part of my enjoyment in a game, and I know that there has been discussion regarding tool building for different aspects of the game, though my exposure to those tools have been more visual than anything else (which is great!)

My query, though, is related to quest building tools. There was mention that long quest chains are being worked on in the latest development video. What kind of tools are being designed and/or developed so that quests are easier to make once the game is launched?

(My concern stems from SWtoR where launch had amazing quest chains for each of the classes, and then they were combined into a single stale story due to resource limitations.)

Having robust tools for all aspects of the game, to me, would allow for a greater expansion of ideas of all avenues, including quests. They would need to be easy to use and have the flexibility for updates, too, so that updating the tool doesn't become more cumbersome than designing the quests.

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    What is an mmo example that has managed to produce more story?

I found eso base game story good abd even after it's 2nd dlc and then the quality went down hill.

Ive played ff14 until mid Shadowbringers and all the expansions are better than the basegame, but that is because the story has not finished. It's not a great story nor are the characters that good, but it's the only example that goes better as you go.

Mmo stories should be the background, not the living gameplay.
    The developers need to invest in systems working steadily, balance as well as meaningful progression and features that will give players the desire to get better than other players.

I never understood the desire of players for more story, when our charactets will never fit well into the narrative since we all have unique identities as opposed to single player games where the character that we play has an actual story, personality and real relations with the npcs.

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited November 2021
    Perhaps a tool that would enhance story gameplay in mmorpgs is to add this to character creation:

Personalities... maybe 10 types of personalities with distinct voice acting and certain actions during cut scenes/npc dialoques. Then our character, even though still nameless, would help enhance the feeling that you are living the game story, even though it's an mmorpg.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    In my experience, quests being continually supplied to players is more a matter of quality creative staff than it is tools.

The thing with MMO's is that the staff when creating the game is massive, but the staff used to create additional content is considerably smaller (a tenth the size is a good guide).

In the specific case of SW:ToR, the games lead writer, Drew Karpyshyn, left BioWare only a few months after the game was launched.

When they say "resources" they really just mean talent. Not tools.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah it's all about having several quality writers and preparing ahead.

The main story arc should be prepared for the next ten years at least, in the sense that each chapter/expansion can have a sub-arch, but never end completely.

My preferred type of sub-arch or expansion story "ending" is one that leaves more questions and more anticipation than it does answers, where it is clear the writers have this thing thought through from the beginning.

It's like those TV series that have a planned story for X amount of seasons and then actually end. Those are much better than the ones where the show is only meant to run for 2 seasons, but because the show is popular, the suits want to milk it and force a continuation. Those shows tend to suck badly afterwards.
  • Options
    Well, lore is story that is set in the past, and we know that there is a lot of hidden lore that hasn't been seen by the public eye.

Lore is important to give a world its personality, mystery and charm

The story could even just be us revealing more of the past so that we have a better, or different, understanding of the world that our characters are inspired to go do things in said world.

People play games for different reasons, and that is why I felt the need to ask the question.

As long as there is a plan to continue the story in some form or fashion, then that is what I'm looking for.