Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Wards and or damage shields?

Ok im going to preface this by saying im the sort of guy that likes playing the sorcerer type classes and but also likes to be somewhat tanky. Now really what im asking to be more specific is will there be wards like in ESO where damage shields can be cast that can absorb a portion of damage before it hits your health bar or is that a no? id imagine since i have seen quotes from the devs saying things like how they want fighters to be the sort of, rush into the back lines and burst down healers and supports so fast that the tanks and dps with those supports cant help them which implies that players will be moderately squishy so i doubt they would add a extra mage secondary augment or change say like teleportation or any of the elemental augements for it but really i just wanna know if there will be any classes that use magic to do that sort of magic barriers type thing.

Comments

• Options
    I imagine Cleric/Tank will offer augments that put shields/ward on some of their skills. Mage might add elemental wards to some skills as augments as well.
  • Options
    You know, you touch upon an interesting point: The different armor "types" in AoC will offer different protections - such as Light armor offering more Protection vs Magical damage, and Heavy armor offering more Protection vs Physical damage.

I wonder if shields will also be classified the same way - and do you think we'll be able to mix-and-match?

As usual, the Wiki has *some* information, but is far from complete:

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Armor

• Options
    You know, you touch upon an interesting point: The different armor "types" in AoC will offer different protections - such as Light armor offering more Protection vs Magical damage, and Heavy armor offering more Protection vs Physical damage.

I wonder if shields will also be classified the same way - and do you think we'll be able to mix-and-match?

As usual, the Wiki has *some* information, but is far from complete:

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Armor

you know i dont really know but if it ends up working like ESO for example in terms of armor and damage shields than i could see it being that you could wear say a helment and pauldrons that are both light armor pieces and than heavy armor on the rest to get yourself the benefits of things like magica regen and defense for example and with damage shields if they work how they do in ESO than there is the chance that rather than acting as armor in and of themselves, damage shields could function almost as just temporary health increases with perhaps the ability or lack there of to do anything to stop damage that specifically is classified as penetration damage with perhaps also diferent types of damage shields mainly being general shields that protect you from everything and projectile shields that while only being able to stop projectiles and often times not probably lasting long at all could offer themeselves to be MASSIVE shields that essentially for the time of their existance, completely nullifying most if not almost all projectiles fired at you.