Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Opinions on active blocking?

ShadowCloneShadowClone Member
edited November 2021 in General Discussion
Not sure about other classes, but for tanks at least I think them being able to actively block or parry would be useful

Comments

• Options
    I think Tera did this sort of thing best and would approve of a similar approach to active defensive abilities. If block, parry, and dodge are just static stats that allow you to just stand there getting attacked by the boss without any real input from you, you get boss fights that end up being a tank n spank snooze fest.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Sathrago wrote: »
    I think Tera did this sort of thing best and would approve of a similar approach to active defensive abilities. If block, parry, and dodge are just static stats that allow you to just stand there getting attacked by the boss without any real input from you, you get boss fights that end up being a tank n spank snooze fest.
    On the other hand, how can a game have tab target combat (a requirement for hybrid combat, along with action), if players can simply actively dodge tab target abilities?
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    On the other hand, how can a game have tab target combat (a requirement for hybrid combat, along with action), if players can simply actively dodge tab target abilities?

My first thoughts would be to just make those abilities unable to be dodged, blocking reduces damage, and parry requires more precise reaction time to completely negate attacks. If a player switches to skill shots they will (in my mind) deal more damage if they hit a blocking target than if they were using a similar tab target ability. You could even have abilities gain additional effects if used as a skill shot rather than with tab target, a tab-targetted single target firebolt spell might change and explode in a small aoe on hit if it was used as a skill shot.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • Options
    I don't like RNG blocking, cos my RNG-luck is always crap. I much prefer being able to activate it myself, and then if I don't do it in time, at least it's my fault.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

My first thoughts would be to just make those abilities unable to be dodged, blocking reduces damage, and parry requires more precise reaction time to completely negate attacks. If a player switches to skill shots they will (in my mind) deal more damage if they hit a blocking target than if they were using a similar tab target ability. You could even have abilities gain additional effects if used as a skill shot rather than with tab target, a tab-targetted single target firebolt spell might change and explode in a small aoe on hit if it was used as a skill shot.

But this just creates a situation where the best strategy against a good action combat player is to go full tab target. They can be as good as they like, but if I come at them with abilities that they are unable to dodge, block or avoid, it doesn't matter how good they are.

Then you have the issue of people using action combat. If all defense in the game is action combat, can the game really be considered hybrid? It would seem to me that to be a true hybrid combat system, some of the attacks need to be action and some tab, and some of the defenses need to be action and some tab.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I still want active blocking to block effects and debuffs, not damage. It's not like blocking things is normally that easy.

Passive block stats can still apply separately, maybe get a multiplier.

I don't see how anything else will be balanced if they don't add a stamina bar/system, in Hybrid Combat.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options

But this just creates a situation where the best strategy against a good action combat player is to go full tab target. They can be as good as they like, but if I come at them with abilities that they are unable to dodge, block or avoid, it doesn't matter how good they are.

Then you have the issue of people using action combat. If all defense in the game is action combat, can the game really be considered hybrid? It would seem to me that to be a true hybrid combat system, some of the attacks need to be action and some tab, and some of the defenses need to be action and some tab.

? But I said only dodge was ineffective against tab abilities, you are going in a different direction from what I suggested entirely. Im not going to say what I suggested is perfect but at least argue with it instead of going off on a tangent.