Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ashes of Creation - Lore and Story Hopes

BaibarssBaibarss Member
edited November 2021 in General Discussion
My apologies if this was touched upon.

I am new here.

I had seen the latest livestream and I am excited about this game. I have been looking for the next great MMO after I had been a WoW player since its inception and dabbled in FFXIV.

The great thing about WoW (used to be) was its lore. Final Fantasy XIV also mastered the art of storytelling.

When New World launched, one thing that struck me was how ‘generic’ the story was. I didn’t feel connected to the world or the characters. Because of that I was not compelled to keep playing.

My hopes for AoC is that the dev team - and writers - really pay attention to the writing and storytelling/ lore in the game. Have it stand on strong foundations (to be taken seriously) to support the coming content for years to come. I think this, aside from the gameplay and art (all looked promising), what will make the game be memorable for a lot of people who want to embark on this new adventure.

Best of luck to the devs.

Comments

• Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    They do have great writers on the team!

But I would rather Ashes focus on the emergent systems than focus too heavily on storyline.
    I wouldn't want the game becoming too themeparky like many other MMOs.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    BaibarssBaibarss Member
    edited November 2021
    maouw wrote: »
    They do have great writers on the team!

But I would rather Ashes focus on the emergent systems than focus too heavily on storyline.
    I wouldn't want the game becoming too themeparky like many other MMOs.
    Great! I would say there is room for both. I do agree that gameplay comes first and foremost, but I also think that great storytelling (world building, memorable characters,…etc) will help make this game world more memorable...
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Story is definitely important to the team and the game. The game's lore is based off of many, many years of story development done by Steven. We have an awesome team of writers who have taken that foundation of lore from Steven and have begun developing it into something epic!

Also, since you mentioned WoW, Ashes of Creation will also have expansions that will surely have story and lore developments, I imagine ;)https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Expansions
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »
    Story is definitely important to the team and the game. The game's lore is based off of many, many years of story development done by Steven. We have an awesome team of writers who have taken that foundation of lore from Steven and have begun developing it into something epic!

Also, since you mentioned WoW, Ashes of Creation will also have expansions that will surely have story and lore developments, I imagine ;)https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Expansions

Fantastic! Really looking forward to your game :)

Best of luck on the development.

• Options
    I'm looking forward to the little easter eggs and hidden lore you can find in-game. Not only is it fun to discover and try to piece together yourself, but it makes for great content for youtubers etc.