Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Animal Husbandry, depth?

AlzeidoAlzeido Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
After watching the "livescream" and seeing the Animal Husbandry preview where we change some mounts colours. My question basically is, Is that it? I don't mean that as rude as it seems but i mean it would be kind of dissapointed upon release if we could ONLY effect colours. I'd love to make some legs shorter or change the sized of wings via random mutations of breeding, so we could say take a snorse and make it into a snail over time by breeding out the legs, or a Strider with teeny tiny short legs (and slow move speed) insteaf of super long legs. I'm really into animal husbandry and would absolurtely love to get deep into this but i'm just wondering since i know it's alpha if its going to be limited to colour/patterns?

Comments

• Options
    Maybe even make the Terrapin turtle sprout a mushroom that can change colour with further breeding too?
  • Options
    AFAIK you can make a lizard/lion Mount with breeding.
  • Options
    Blip wrote: »
    AFAIK you can make a lizard/lion Mount with breeding.

Yes but i'm wanting a animal husbandry that is a full animal husbandry, i dont wanna breed a mouse with an elephant, but i want to, over time have random changes and mutations that i can selectively breed to increase likleyhood of having that trait, passed onto the next generation. and i dont want just colours, i want physical attributes too! noticable ones, maybe even making new mobs entirely. take a snorse for example, i want to be able to breed out the legs, or make it fuzzy or even change its feet from hooves to claws etc
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    My guess would be colour swap, stat increases, and then maybe a few preset "hidden" mounts that are only available from crossbreeding. Stuff like slowly shortening legs over generations sounds fun but I think would be out of scope of the game.
  • Options
    My guess would be colour swap, stat increases, and then maybe a few preset "hidden" mounts that are only available from cross breading. Stuff like slowly shortening legs over generations sounds fun but I think would be out of scope of the game.

Given that we are getting recolours in alpha, i'm hoping for alot more. i hope there's alot of visual changes and not just stats/skills
  • Options
    is it confirmed you can cross breed any species or can you only manipulate the genetics of already created/captured species for stats, abilities and colour variations?

I can not recall anything saying you take any two species you want and create new ones. If that is true, I would imagine the combinations would be that of already known beasts in the game. Although, it does sounds unique if there are hidden beasts not discovered in the open world.
  • Options
    is it confirmed you can cross breed any species or can you only manipulate the genetics of already created/captured species for stats, abilities and colour variations?

I can not recall anything saying you take any two species you want and create new ones. If that is true, I would imagine the combinations would be that of already known beasts in the game. Although, it does sounds unique if there are hidden beasts not discovered in the open world.

THIS!
    I would love to be able to manipulate genetics and crossbreed. I made the discussion to see how people felt, hopefully with enough people agreeing we can get them to put it ingame if they havent planned it already
  • Options
    Alzeido wrote: »

THIS!
    I would love to be able to manipulate genetics and crossbreed. I made the discussion to see how people felt, hopefully with enough people agreeing we can get them to put it ingame if they havent planned it already

it would be cool!

The way I currently understand it to be is you take two species that are the same and manipulate their genetics for stats, abilities, colour variations etc. Maybe there is ways to create certain beasts that can not reproduce similar to Lions + tigers = Liger or a more Common example being Horse + Donkey = Mule
  • Options
    it would be cool!

The way I currently understand it to be is you take two species that are the same and manipulate their genetics for stats, abilities, colour variations etc. Maybe there is ways to create certain beasts that can not reproduce similar to Lions + tigers = Liger or a more Common example being Horse + Donkey = Mule

Yeah based on what has been shown this seems to be the current revealed system, but i so so so want to be able to share more things with the world. i want to make a terrapin mount with mushrooms instead of trees, i want to be able to make exclusive mounts and sell them, to other players. others can make thesame ones too if they figure it out too, maybe even a neutering system so that said mount can't be bred by another without them doing their own work to create new breeds.

I know it'd be such an extensive system but ti'd be groundbreaking in the mmo community and like nothing before. Really an attractive concept instead of just mindnumbing simple lifeskills.
  • Options
    it would be cool!

Yeah based on what has been shown this seems to be the current revealed system, but i so so so want to be able to share more things with the world. i want to make a terrapin mount with mushrooms instead of trees, i want to be able to make exclusive mounts and sell them, to other players. others can make thesame ones too if they figure it out too, maybe even a neutering system so that said mount can't be bred by another without them doing their own work to create new breeds.

I know it'd be such an extensive system but ti'd be groundbreaking in the mmo community and like nothing before. Really an attractive concept instead of just mindnumbing simple lifeskills.

You might be able to as you discover hidden genes from the animals ancestry from breeding or other variations of them in the world that allow you to change their flora on the back from tree's to mushrooms. I believe things like this are some of discovery to variations based on the species. Discovery is part of the profession. There is probably going to be some low percentile way to discover something upon creation. Eventually like any system, people will figure it all out but it's definitely a system they can expand on with very low percentile integrations of new genes with patches and expansion content.

• Options
    VoidwalkersVoidwalkers Member
    edited December 2021
    I'm still looking forward to a Winning-Post style breeding game (well, half of WP's depth is probably enough).

But, just like most if not all other artisan professions, we're still waiting for the details ...

EDIT: Ok I didn't know the wiki entry has been updated ...
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited December 2021
    After watching the "livescream" and seeing the Animal Husbandry preview where we change some mounts colours. My question basically is, Is that it? I don't mean that as rude as it seems but i mean it would be kind of dissapointed upon release if we could ONLY effect colours. I'd love to make some legs shorter or change the sized of wings via random mutations of breeding, so we could say take a snorse and make it into a snail over time by breeding out the legs, or a Strider with teeny tiny short legs (and slow move speed) insteaf of super long legs. I'm really into animal husbandry and would absolurtely love to get deep into this but i'm just wondering since i know it's alpha if its going to be limited to colour/patterns?

"Breeding mechanics

Gryphon concept art.[11]
    These are some concept iterations of exactly how the animal husbandry profession's going to work as you create the offspring of different combinations of animals and you find and discover types of mounts. For example this Gryphon: You will have the ability to open up an in-game character customization screen for the animals; and you'll be able to use certain dials to touch different aesthetic aspects of the actual animal's features: On its wings, on its head, its beak, its armor that's going to be present; the claws and talons. You will be able to actually make a unique representation of this mount, so you're just not a cookie cutter like everybody else.[12] – Steven Sharif

Animal husbandry will have discoverable blends of breeding.[13]

Rare creatures can be captured and tamed to breed animals with specific traits.[14]
    Pets, Mounts and Livestock have unique traits that can be bred.
    Royal mounts (such as Dragons) are dropped as eggs that can be cultivated by Animal husbandry artisans with a high enough stable upgrade on their freehold.[15]
    These mounts are not breedable.[16]
    Mounts that are bred through animal husbandry may be sold at auction.[17]
    These mounts can also be applied as certificates toward the construction of caravans.[17]
    Animal husbandry and taming create unique mounts with unique abilities and stats.[18][19]

Speed.[18]
    Health.[18]
    Armor.[18]
    Energy.[18]
    There is a compendium of acceptable parameters for breeding, which isn't going to be known until players discover it.[17][20] This discovery may be different for different players.[20]

Animals have a unique ID that is tied to the husbandry chart (compendium) that takes into account possible combinations between animals.[17] There will be odd combinations, but there will be limits to what is possible.[20]
    Discovery of certain breeding habits and different quests may grant access to slots in the compendium.[20]
    Players will be able to discover all possible combinations of genetic traits for breeding eventually, but there is an element of RNG associated with genetic parings.[21]
    Animal husbandry involves a tree of its own that players get to discover via what pairings they choose... That's going to be a pretty fun aspect of creating rare mounts that haven't been seen in the world.[22] – Steven Sharif

Genetic lines are based on the type of mount or creature that has been captured or tamed.[8]

The genetic system will involve trial and error to determine what yields or combinations are possible. This will incorporate an element of RNG.[17][20]
    This may grant access to specific types of mounts.[20]
    A dominant genetic trait might be discovered with a pairing or there may be a much smaller chance to unlock a specific breed of species.[17]
    These chances are improved based on the player's advancement within the Animal husbandry profession.[17]
    Each of these animals have a unique ID. There's going to be essentially this husbandry chart that takes into account potential combinations between animals that you have. So there's gonna be a little bit of obviously trial and error as players begin to explore this genetic system to determine what yields are possible; and those yields are obviously going to have an element of RNG to them as well. So you know you may pick up on a more dominant genetic trait within the pairing, or you may have a much smaller chance to unlock a specific breed of species; and then those chances obviously get augmented by your advancement within the Animal Husbandry profession. So a person who's more experienced in pairing of certain animals, and even the specific types of pairings, will increase their likelihood- their RNG chances of essentially birthing a unique mount; and being able then to sell those on an open auction. They can also be applied as certificates toward the construction of particular caravans as well.[17] – Steven Sharif

There are stages of development within breeding.[23]

Youngling stage: For mammals this relates to baby animals. For lizards (reptiles) this is an egg stage.[23]
    A modified character creation system allows customization of Summoner pets and Animal husbandry.[12][23]

Changes at the Youngling stage affect the appearance of the animal at adulthood.[23]
    During the Youngling stage there may also be quests for specific types of cosmetic features.[23]
    There's definitely going to be odd combinations, whether it's a butterflyger, giraffealope I don't know, but there will be definitely caps that are present.[20] – Steven Sharif
    "
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Animal_husbandry

There's a lot of good info on the wiki. I'd thoroughly advise you have a read!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    I will say you shouldn't expect every system to be fully fleshed out and perfect. Intrepid aren't exactly working with a massive budget. Some systems will be lacklustre compared to what you envision them.
    nI17Ea4.png