Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Flying mount (Guild wars gliding mount system is the best of all time, learn from it)

MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited December 2021 in General Discussion
Sorry for flying mount click bait title, but we sooner or later need to start looking at how gliding mounts should work. Because:

1. They are 10x more fun and interesting than flying mounts
2. Only a few will have true flying mounts, and they suck so who cares about them.
3. They can potentially be designed in a way that rewards skill, planning and knowledge about the map.

Guild wars 2 has by far the best gliding mount feature of all time (for an MMO). So lets start there. We should learn from it.

Ill link a video showcasing how gliding mounts work in GW2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWENCGZbVKk

Comments

• Options
    Gaul_Gaul_ Member
    edited December 2021
    Pretty cool video! It would be very interesting to have the flying mounts be more of an engaging mechanic like that. I doubt Intrepid has any intention of letting their gliding mounts cover that much ground, however. We''ll see though :smile:
  • Options
    Overthrow wrote: »
    Pretty cool video! It would be very interesting to have the flying mounts be more of an engaging mechanic like that. I doubt Intrepid has any intention of letting their gliding moments cover that much ground, however. We''ll see though :smile:

i agree! They should balance it in a way so it is not always the obvious choice! For example they should be amazing in vertical zones etc (when you need to go down ;)
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Flying in mmorpgs is lame. Even more so in AoC since there wont be flying content.
    I dont understand the hysteria of flying above danger and adventure.

I hope IS sticks to keeping flying limited and prestigious. As for glidding... sure if you need to get back down fron somewhere high, in a straight line, go nuts. No further content needed. Waste of time.
  • Options
    I played GW2 for awhile until they changed their stability buff and ruined Zerg busting in World vs World. I only played the expansion that introduced mounts very briefly and while it was cool to have different mounts with different abilities, flying is just a flashy and lazy feature that makes the world smaller. Even the gliding in that video is way over the top, gliding in AoC at the very most should just be a means to get down from a high point without dying, and not to glide all the way across a map imo
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited December 2021
    Steven's said that he wants them to work similarly to Gliders in ArcheAge, high mobility, repositioning in fights, and a cool feature to glide over land with, but with better control for design purposes and PvE content.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    The op post is misleading

This leads me to believe that its probably op advertising his youtube channel or a bad effort to make ppl take a look at a dying game. Because thats what gw2 is. The whole endgame is people running metas trying to make gold and the numbers are quite low to be honest lately.

Firstly Guild wars 2 has no flying mounts. The griffon shown is a glider. You need to find a high spot and then glide.

The next mount the skyscale is also a trash "flying" mount. The difference is that the skyscale can fly at a set height. It cant get any higher. You must stand somewhere to replenish a bar and then fly higher. This limits flying extremely. Anet logic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The best part. To get either of those mounts you need to watch multiple videos and read LENGTHY walkthroughs. Cmon miss Rose you are exaggerating

No. not really. check for yourself the amount of work needed to get a mount that semiflies here

Heres the tldr. Guild wars mount system is the worse possible system i ve seen in all my years of mmo playing. The whole game is bad but we are talking about mounts specifically here. If you are suggesting ashes to copy that system then i seriously believe you are either trolling or advertising a yt channel.

The best mount system was in wow. There is a reason why WoW reigns supreme all these years. If any mmo wants to succeed it needs to copy the good parts of wow and change the bad parts. Simple as that
  • Options
    truelytruely Member, Alpha One
    I just been playing Archeage for the first time recently and the gliding mounts are amazing part of the gameplay, having something similiar in Ashes will be amazing!
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    truely wrote: »
    I just been playing Archeage for the first time recently and the gliding mounts are amazing part of the gameplay, having something similiar in Ashes will be amazing!

Indeed they are.

That game gets a lot of shit - for good reason - but it got so much right that people tend to gloss over.

There is a reason it was Archeage that Steven was playing when he saw the missed potential and decided to make Ashes, as opposed to L2 or any of the other games out there.
  • Options
    MissRose wrote: »
    The op post is misleading

This leads me to believe that its probably op advertising his youtube channel or a bad effort to make ppl take a look at a dying game. Because thats what gw2 is. The whole endgame is people running metas trying to make gold and the numbers are quite low to be honest lately.

Firstly Guild wars 2 has no flying mounts. The griffon shown is a glider. You need to find a high spot and then glide.

The next mount the skyscale is also a trash "flying" mount. The difference is that the skyscale can fly at a set height. It cant get any higher. You must stand somewhere to replenish a bar and then fly higher. This limits flying extremely. Anet logic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The best part. To get either of those mounts you need to watch multiple videos and read LENGTHY walkthroughs. Cmon miss Rose you are exaggerating

No. not really. check for yourself the amount of work needed to get a mount that semiflies here

Heres the tldr. Guild wars mount system is the worse possible system i ve seen in all my years of mmo playing. The whole game is bad but we are talking about mounts specifically here. If you are suggesting ashes to copy that system then i seriously believe you are either trolling or advertising a yt channel.

The best mount system was in wow. There is a reason why WoW reigns supreme all these years. If any mmo wants to succeed it needs to copy the good parts of wow and change the bad parts. Simple as that

I never even played gw2 lol. And you never even read my post. I specifically told you the "flying mount" part was a clickbait. If you would have read the post you would understand that.

I just said that I liked the way the GLIDING mount system worked in GW2, nothing else.
  • Options
    Marzzo wrote: »
    I never even played gw2 lol.

If you haven't played gw then why do you recommend any of that trash be copied to ashes of creation? I am a current owner of that game and play once in a blue moon and i can tell you that the mount system of gw2 is the worst mount system ever. Clunky, you need to change mounts 2-3 times to go from point a to point b and overall a design they should really be ashamed of.

The two flying mounts are also worthless, one glides so you need to find a high spot for that and the other flies for 10 seconds before it needs to touch the ground again. Just because a video shows gw2 flying as nice does not mean it is. If anything its absolute rubbish and AoC can only get hurt by such garbage

• Options
    Loved the Gliders. And they could do something simple, like a 10-minute cool down between use, so players have to be selective in their use.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Gliding was great in WoW in the days before flying mounts. Engineers could make parachute cloaks and they were fantastic. You avoided falling damage from high places and to a limited degree they were good for travel.

I played an MMO for a short time (it had little content so you run out of stuff to do quickly) called Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis. It had gliding as part of the regular gameplay (no special gear or mount required) and it was great. You couldn't do any actual flying, if you wanted altitude you needed to climb up high by jumping or find an updraft somewhere to lift you up. But it really added a lot without giving you the "I can fly everywhere and avoid danger and content" problem that many MMOs with true flight have.

I'm very much looking forward to gliding in AoC. I think it gives us a great compromise; you have more than a vanilla ground mount, but you don't get to just avoid everything on the ground either. I think it's a brilliant design decision for this game.

Hhak63P.png