Is Ashes of Creation just Archeage remade to better suite westerners?

As the title of the discussion says.

Narc found some similarities between Ashes and Archeage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kETlMLdlrjE
I found the opening cinematic to be extremely identical to the story of the phoenix and the rift.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxB-qbq97gE

At first glance it seems Ashes is just stealing everything from Archeage while making some additions and removing the complexity that is common to all eastern MMOs.
What do you think?

Comments

• arsnnarsnn Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Nice bait bro
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Ashes is a game that is a result of someone that was pissed off at Archeage and had the means to give it a go them self.

You don't need to go hunting for similarities when this is the games literal history.
  • false advertising
  • Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    By complexity do you mean pay to win mechanics? Then yes that is what Steven removed.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Don't forget Lineage 2 OP!

LOL, I mean, just watch any interview with Steven. He will outright tell you the two MMOs he spent the most time with were Lineage 2 and ArcheAge. If you want to get tore up make it into a drinking game. Every time, he uses Lineage 2 or ArcheAge as an example drink.

All of this of course is a good thing. Those games had great concepts, but were managed very poorly in the United States. Just because AA and L2 became something shitty does not mean that borrowing systems from them is stealing. It's taking the good, throwing out the bad, and refining the whole thing to make something new and better.

To be 100% honest, I would have not backed this game at all if I did not see the Lineage 2 DNA in it. ArcheAge was made from a lot of the same devs as Lineage 2. The problem I have with ArcheAge is that while it did add new things, it lost a lot of the things that made Lineage 2 great in the process. Ashes takes what is good from both.

Remember, stealing is a good thing. It's not like EQ1 just came out with the first MMORPG raids and then everyone game was like. "Well, we can't do raids, EQ1 already did it." What happened was everyone said "We need raids too and here is how we make ours better". Which is a net good for the industry.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • I was reading some paper about innovative startups. Under 30% of innovative startups succeed. But startups which improve upon the ideas of those innovative startups - over 60% find success. I find this as a good indicator for Ashes.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ashes of Creation is directly inspired by multiple MMORPGs from before it; Archeage, Lineage II, Star Wars Galaxies, and Eve Online have all had their mark on this game.

Hhak63P.png
  • "found some similarities" - lol

Can't believe he even bothered making a video about it. Must be really starved for info...
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
    daveywavey wrote: »
    "found some similarities" - lol

Can't believe he even bothered making a video about it. Must be really starved for info...

These are those amazing content creators we need to suck up to if we want this game to be successful.

Hhak63P.png
    @Atama

I think I feel your meaning, but I can't think of a single content creator I respect whom expects to be sucked up to.

Then again, I only pay attention to a few streamers and non of them seen to care about Ashes except Asmongoloid... Who gets made fun of his entire stream...
    TVMenSP.png
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I think I feel your meaning, but I can't think of a single content creator I respect whom expects to be sucked up to.
    They might not feel that way, but we've had countless threads where people fret about how this game will utterly flop if we don't cater specifically to those people. How can we protect them in PvP, how can we make sure they are happy when they join a server, what kind of special privileges and tags can they have, etc.

Hhak63P.png
    Atama wrote: »
    They might not feel that way, but we've had countless threads where people fret about how this game will utterly flop if we don't cater specifically to those people. How can we protect them in PvP, how can we make sure they are happy when they join a server, what kind of special privileges and tags can they have, etc.

Yeah, people seem to have overly high expectations. I would consider games like Mortal Online 1, Dungeons and Dragons Online, and Every Quest 2 all successful games. Mortal was good enough to fund a very promising sequel that I have enjoyed a lot thus far. DDO and EQ both have small but dedicated player bases, and I still see expansions for them come out nearly yearly. I can't speak much about the quality of EQ2, but I have played every expansion DDO has ever put out, and I love it for what it is.

I bring this up to say that Ashes does not have to maintain sub numbers of 2-3 million to be a success. Likewise, I don't know what numbers Intrepid is hoping for, but I hope something as low as 200k concurrent subs would be enough to keep the dream alive long term.

I might do some math at some point and come up with some realistic estimations on how much money Ashes needs to keep itself funded. I am betting it's not that insane with the cash shop.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Birthday wrote: »
    I was reading some paper about innovative startups. Under 30% of innovative startups succeed. But startups which improve upon the ideas of those innovative startups - over 60% find success. I find this as a good indicator for Ashes.

Putting two and two together ... I like it ...

(slow clap)
  • truelyyytruelyyy Member, Alpha One
    Saying "stealing" ideas is pretty insulting. You make it sound like they are doing something wrong and that other MMORPGS don't build upon what has already existed before. I just started playing Archeage on the fresh server and having a lot of fun. Do you go around saying FFXIV stole it's ideas from WoW? not a wise perspective to have.
    truely wrote: »
    Saying "stealing" ideas is pretty insulting. You make it sound like they are doing something wrong and that other MMORPGS don't build upon what has already existed before. I just started playing Archeage on the fresh server and having a lot of fun. Do you go around saying FFXIV stole it's ideas from WoW? not a wise perspective to have.

What is great about the FFXIV to WOW comparison is that Yohis-P literally made his team play WOW, so they would better understand what the western market expects out of an MMORPG. Then they took that knowledge, fixed FFXIV and still managed to make something good and unique.

If you look at a lot of quality of life stuff WOW added in Shadowlands it's all stuff that FFXIV was known for years. Built-in Controller support, mentor system, Level Sync... The list goes on and on.

The "net" end result is that both games are benefit from each other's innovations. If any game comes out with an idea that is good and would work well in Ashes. I want to see it considered for Ashes.
    TVMenSP.png
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I made a thread about catering to streamers.

I don't remember making comments about the game's success depending on it. But I don't think it's wise to ignore. Like it or not, streamers and content creators are a thing and they are growing.
    I wish I were deep and tragic