Claw weapons

AnimikiiAnimikii Member
edited December 2021 in General Discussion
Ive done a disscusion talking about fist weapons and didnt realise just how many people seem to have a hate boner for em no matter how much they can be show exactly how their arguments are completely hypocritical but non the less lets start some more shit by suggesting claw weapons like the crows talons, mankin claws, and the basic bitch normal claws from dark souls 3. Personally i feel that these could fit into ashes in regard to mainly the tulnar in that since they have been said to be basically lizards, cats, dogs, and etc. i think it would be fun if along with their armor style being more primal that they use weapons that let them fight like the monsters they look like and kinda embrace the animalistic side and i think claw weapons could perhaps be the weapon that even the people who hate fist weapons can get behind because there would be lore reason for them and apparantly only bladed weapons that were used in real life can exist in HIGH-FANTASY.

All in all i figure skills and passives-wise they could work in perhaps either having low cooldowns on abilities or lowering cooldowns on ones abilities perhaps by the logic that they are easier to handle/ lighter than swords and tax the user less although of course they wouldnt deal as much damage as say a sword or mace meaning the trade off is speed for damage. i feel especially for solo open-world pvpers this could be hella fun and open up a lot of solo builds probably around the fighter and rouge primarily in making their stealth or movement abilities jack on speed making it easier to take on groups and not get hit since you wont really have self healing meaning you could say be a invisible tulnar rouge that sneaks up and insta drops say maybe the bard or cleric of a caravan and than from there you can focus on trying to kill the mage for example and for the most part avoid the tanks attempts to limit your movement that saying that they all dont end up being guaranteed hits but even if they are your increased movement with the claws could let you take out the mage even if your hit with CC abilities if you play your cards right to get outta being killed! :smiley:

Comments

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I personally consider claw weapons to be a subset of fist weapons, and as such I am still keen to see them.
  • Merge with the Fist Weapons please, Mods!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Who has a hate boner?!

It's like you think people get pleasure out of disliking things. If I had my way, I would like everything. Life would be so much more enjoyable that way.

Once again, the main issue is that adding more weapons is more work, which means more delays.

There is also the part where the weapon is not very effective, realistically speaking. These two separate issues actually support each other very well. The reason why you don't see them used very often historically is that they were not very effective in real combat. No doubt, a blade in any shape attached to anything was "tried" historically. Only the effective shapes ever caught on and replicated as popular weapons. Which is why there are a ton of variants of the sword and fewer variants of fist weapons historically.

I am not saying Verra should mimic our reality 100%, I am just saying it stands to good reason that fist weapons and claw weapons would be lower on the list of weapons to add to the game because they are low on the list of what is realistically effective in combat.

A fold up chair makes for a good bludgeoning weapon, but if your aim is to smash skulls in a hammer or club is just better at it. Likewise, daggers and short swords are better at everything claws would do.

To offer an olive branch of sorts...

I have said in the past that guns are not high on my list of things I would want to see in Ashes, but it stands to reason that guns are effective in nearly any setting, so long as there is a way for the technology to make sense. People will always see guns as a popular weapon unless it's a cultural taboo to use them. Just because I don't like to see guns in my fantasy does not mean I don't think they are good. In fact, I think they are too good. To the point that if guns exist, no one should be using bows in real combat. I like bows, I own a few, and I have practiced on and off over the years. If someone came into my house at night, I would never grab a bow over a gun. It's just a less effective tool for the job.

So instead of saying: "No! I hate claws!" or "No! I hate fist weapons!"
    I am going to say to you: "No! I want to see the more effective weapons fleshed out first!"

Remember, they can always add anything up to and including "cans of paint" later on as a weapon.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Vhaeyne wrote: »
    they can always add anything up to and including "cans of paint" later on as a weapon.

giphy.gif

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

Remember, they can always add anything up to and including "cans of paint" later on as a weapon.
    Two points.

1, the class was a joke - it was first "revealed" about 3 years ago.

2, as Aion has no fist weapons, it would stand to reason that in regards to this discussion, the best way to avoid jokes about a painter class would be to have fist weapons.

I mean, WoW has fist weapons, EQ and EQ2 have fist weapons, and none of those three games have joked about adding a painter class.

Aion has no fist weapons, and has joked about adding one.

Statistics don't lie - the best way to avoid a painter class (even if as a joke) in Ashes is to launch the game with fist weapons.
  • Tetris also has no Cans Of Paint weapons. Maybe Ashes needs to launch with some differently-shaped bricks falling down from the top of the screen.

edited December 2021
    @Noaani

Literally:
    https://www.aiononline.com/classes/muse
    Before the Cataclysm, a Muse named Irnin first infused paint with Aether. With Lady Siel's support, he trained the first Vandals. After Siel's death, however, the Vandals were scattered. They survived in the shadows, but their numbers were few and they faded from memory. When Ereshkigal laid waste to Atreia, the Vandals reappeared, many sacrificing themselves to save the innocent. In recognition of their valor, Vandal training was officially established by the Empyrean Lords.

Literally, paint is in their description... The base class is called "Muse".

I am pretty sure it's real.

Edit:
    The weapon is called a "Chromablaster". I assure you I can't make this stuff up, and I don't want it to be real.
    TVMenSP.png
  • McMackMuckMcMackMuck Member
    edited December 2021
    Dear Lord of Sandals,
    Please listen not to the enemies of completion.
    Shun the words of the scope creepage demagogues.
    Deliver unto us the MMORPG that the legends foretold in a timely fashion
    and shower us all with your glorious release.
    Amen.
    Forum_Signature.png
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Tetris also has no Cans Of Paint weapons. Maybe Ashes needs to launch with some differently-shaped bricks falling down from the top of the screen.

Would be a cool boss IMO.
    TVMenSP.png
    If it is indeed, all that means is Ashes needs fist weapons, and you should be arguing for them.

If we look at both EQ's, WoW and Aion, all games with fist weapons have no paint based classes - and all games with paint based classes have no fist weapons.

So, it would seem that we have an option. Fist weapons or paint.

Chose wisely.
  • Noaani wrote: »

Chose wisely.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• McMackMuck wrote: »

Erm, you had me until this point...

Noaani wrote: »
    If it is indeed, all that means is Ashes needs fist weapons, and you should be arguing for them.

If we look at both EQ's, WoW and Aion, all games with fist weapons have no paint based classes - and all games with paint based classes have no fist weapons.

Chose wisely.

If it worked like that, sure.

Lucky for you. Being the fanboy you are. Everquest seems to have the most grounded weapon available of the set you have given me. Of course, I would take the weapon sets in order from EQ>WOW>Aion... There was a time when it would have been Aion>EQ>WOW...

WOW is going to always be last because Warglaves are awful. People like to complain about cloud's sword being too big... WOW, has elves using what is basically two cloud swords duct taped together... one of these in each hand!

@Vvess I swear I want to be your friend, but if I see a "Warglaves" thread I will lose my mind.
    TVMenSP.png
  • McMackMuckMcMackMuck Member
    edited December 2021
    daveywavey wrote: »
    McMackMuck wrote: »

Erm, you had me until this point...

I'm glad the double entendre didn't go unacknowledged!
    Forum_Signature.png
    @Vvess I swear I want to be your friend, but if I see a "Warglaves" thread I will lose my mind.
    Judging by your C'thuloid footer, how much mind have you got left to lose? :smiley:
    Forum_Signature.png
    Judging by your C'thuloid footer, how much mind have you got left to lose? :smiley:

Having less mind makes the little bit I has that much more gooder...
    TVMenSP.png
  • Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Amen.

Uhhh phrasing..
    I am going to say to you: "No! I want to see the more effective weapons fleshed out first!"

THERE WE GO! i will take because that is what i said in the fist weapons post that im fine with happening of them waiting till far later after release to add them! the claw weapons was my olive branch even if i will admit my temper made me start by making a jab even if you did literally say that basically the devs can think of adding them later to make you physically sick.

honestly with the number of people repeating the same point i already explained like for example how you did mention "fist weapons arent that strong" and i pointed out several times that in high fantasy settings LIKE ASHES there literally is the ability for a 5' 10" dude to kill a dragon thats LITERALLY hundreds of feet tall with a fucking metal ball on a stick, aka a fucking normal mace. if thats possible than suspension of disbelief should extend to ALL weapons because of weapons like that can be that effective i would say having bigass metal guantlets on people that strike with that much NATRUAL force as in, no magical ehancement than really fist and especially claw weapons make sense and lore wise i feel it would flesh out the world of verra to see that the tulnar didnt just abandon the old ways of metal crafting for working with say bone, chitin, and monster hide but that even their weapons became drasitcally different on average being claws from monsters forged into weapons to use, bones and all because its not like they have metal to make anything more than bows, spears, and claw type weapons.
  • also i actually also like the idea of a muse class and wouldnt be opposed with that being the maybe 9th class after release if they do choose to add MORE classes with i wouldnt be sad with the 64 combonations we got already even if it is technically just 8 classes with 8 moderatly different variants. honestly thinking of the leader of the aqua deer squad in black clover, i think a muse painter class could be fuckin awesome :smiley:
  • also hey i find the gaudie way WoW styles its weapons and armor to be honestly the biggest reason that even in its hayday i never once even touched it XD i hate the WoW 40k style of doing weapons and armor because it feels like the buzzlightyear movie but meant to be taken SUPER FUCKIN SERIOUSLY!!!
  • past that lastly irl shinobi, aka ninja as they are most commonly know actually did use a type of claw weapon and of course the ones seen in dark souls 3 that i mentioned are heavily exaggerated but when fighting giant monsters and the characters being able to even slightly lift the fume ultragreatsword it makes sense they be a bit exaggerated like people physically strong enough to hurt a dragon with a fucking sword but none the less the irl claws mainly were used i admit for climbing but they could be used in a fight for fast attacks and parrying swords and depending on if the tekkokage (probably spelled that wrong but its close enough) were on the inside of the hand rather than the outside than the could even be used to catch swords and disarm your opponents or catch your attackers arm with the claws and basically make them your bitch as from that position you could disarm them and throw them around the room. tools first and foremost they were irl but that doesnt stop that they were also genuine weapons to be taken very seriously when used by someone who knows what they are doing.
  • if you want a better look at the real world weapons i mentioned than just look up tekko kagi as i did in fact... misspell it... also forgot the space with none the less you can also look up ninja climbing claws and see what i mean.