Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Movement and Camera Mechanics

I just wanted to get confirmation that the camera rotates your character and you use wasd to move? I couldn't find a clear answer, but from watching gameplay that's how it looks. Is the movement similar to GW2 or New World? I just tried Archage Unchained and I just can't get behind using A&D to rotate my character. I understand you can use your mouse too, but you have to hold the mouse button down the entire time? Maybe there's a work around for that.

I almost exclusively play FPS games and looking to get into MMOs. I'm pretty clueless with the genre, but I love everything I've watched and read so far about this game. I tried New World, but wasn't exactly what I was looking for and ended up returning it. The movement and combat felt pretty decent though.

The way I move my character in a game is the most important thing. That's why I'm trying to clarify so that I can get excited about this game.

I'm sorry if this information was explained somewhere else. I did look. I would really appreciate any information. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ShadonSolShadonSol Moderator, Member, Alpha One
    How you move depends on if you're in action mode or tab targeting.
    In action mode, you move your character by looking in the direction you want to go to, while in tab targeting you drag your camera with your mouse. In both modes, you use WASD to move.

I suggest you give the articles are read:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/User_interface#Camera_settings
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Movement
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Combat_targeting
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Mind if expand on this. I'm wondering if there will be any ability to move the camera away from centred on your character (mst likely have to be in some sort extra mode). Maybe allowing for you to set the camera in a spot and run your character by it.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2021
    @Ragin

It's been a while since I played ArcheAge, but I am pretty sure I remember rebinding everything in that game to make it playable. I am almost 90% sure you can rotate your camera with right click and rebind A and D to strife left and right. I straight up won't play a game at all if I don't like the controls and can't do anything to improve them.

To the point that the only thing I don't think I could disable that pissed me off was my character zooming in on NPCs when I took quests and shit.

Edit:Ashes already has normal MMO Controls. I had to reprogram my keyboard and mouse in the early alphas to get it how I like, but currently Ashes is fine.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    @Vhaeyne

Thanks for the clarification! The mechanical aspect of a game is the most important thing for me. Glad to hear it's feeling pretty good.