Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Hyped for Spellbook Weapon - Powerful Slow Cast, Please

AncientIncantAncientIncant Member
edited December 2021 in General Discussion
Stumbled across the Spellbook wiki page today. Images of crafting a “Rare Musty Grimoire of Bardic Words ” flipped through my imagination.

Upon further reading, there’s a quote explaining one of many ideas for the Spellbook. Specifically, a large tome with a chain bound to it in order to swing it at foes.

Admittedly, a novel idea. But…

I’d like to put it out there that I think a Spellbook is a highly desirable and unique weapon.

I would love to see it implemented as a powerful, slow-cast ranged magic weapon. This opens the door for, dark, elemental, healing, status modifiers, and other creative effects.

More importantly, it would suit the Bard archetype to some degree.

The Spellbook cast animation could be shown as the player reading some text guided by his/her finger and ending with his/her index finger aggressively sliding towards his/her target at a point.

If anyone else feels the Spellbook should be implemented as a ranged weapon, chime in.

Thanks
https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Spellbooks
969ac0db3fed38b86a2d982c8bda68c7c372cb4f.gifv
"Knowledge is Power and I know a lot."
- Dalaran Aspirant

Comments

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Agreed.
    I thought of it more as a main caster weapon or maybe part of a main/off hand combination.
    Hopefully we get new stuff and some of the old tropes as well with this. They have a good art team.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Same. A main-hand weapon, as opposed to a class ability. In case there was any confusion.
    - Dalaran Aspirant
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Stumbled across the Spellbook wiki page today. Images of crafting a “Rare Musty Grimoire of Bardic Words ” flipped through my imagination.

Upon further reading, there’s a quote explaining one of many ideas for the Spellbook. Specifically, a large tome with a chain bound to it in order to swing it at foes.

Admittedly, a novel idea. But…

I’d like to put it out there that I think a Spellbook is a highly desirable and unique weapon.

I would love to see it implemented as a powerful, slow-cast ranged magic weapon. This opens the door for, dark, elemental, healing, status modifiers, and other creative effects.

More importantly, it would suit the Bard archetype to some degree.

The Spellbook cast animation could be shown as the player reading some text guided by his/her finger and ending with his/her index finger aggressively sliding towards his/her target at a point.

If anyone else feels the Spellbook should be implemented as a ranged weapon, chime in.

Thanks
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Spellbooks

The thing you want was in the Alpha.

Book was an optional weapon during Alpha. The current execution is essentially like a wand but slower, the user sort of pulling out magical energy from the open book held in the other hand and flinging it as ball of magical energy at one's opponent. It was extremely slow to cast relative to wand and did less over all damage even if each hit did somewhat more. I liked the concept and animation but unfortunately not much in the way of combat mechanics were iterrated in the Alpha so you will have to wait till Alpha 2 for clearer information. I am sure they intend to do more work on clarifying weapons relative to their fighting styles in the future.
    Small print leads to large risks.
  • Options
    JustVine wrote: »

The thing you want was in the Alpha.

Book was an optional weapon during Alpha. The current execution is essentially like a wand but slower, the user sort of pulling out magical energy from the open book held in the other hand and flinging it as ball of magical energy at one's opponent. It was extremely slow to cast relative to wand and did less over all damage even if each hit did somewhat more. I liked the concept and animation but unfortunately not much in the way of combat mechanics were iterrated in the Alpha so you will have to wait till Alpha 2 for clearer information. I am sure they intend to do more work on clarifying weapons relative to their fighting styles in the future.

That’s great to hear!

I saw that the wiki had two entries for spellbooks in Alpha-1. Although, recently, after watching over 10 hours of Alpha-1 streams I began to think the spellbooks were removed just like some archetypes were removed.

Now I hope to find a stream or video that has Spellbook footage lol.

Thanks JustVine :)
    - Dalaran Aspirant