Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Artistic Influence of the Tulnar

NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Do you think the Tulnar should have real world artistic influences? A specific one? A mish-mash? Or something truly unique? What do you envision when you think of the Tulnar?

All the other 8 races have an artistic influence based on real world cultures.
  • The Kaelar have a European racial influence.
  • The Vaelune have a Middle Eastern racial influence.
  • The Dünir have a Nordic cultural influence.
  • The Niküa have a Polynesian influence.
  • The Ren'Kai have an East Asian influence (perhaps even mostly just Japanese)
  • The Vek have a Mesoamerican racial influence.
  • The Empyreans have a Greco-Roman imperialistic feeling.
  • The Py'Rai have a Navajo Native American influence with woodland architecture.

From the wiki about the Tulnar (emphasis mine):
They're a culmination of the leftover races, not just the leftover major race populations, but the leftover minor races as well; and that's what gives them their attributes that are bestial, or reptilian, humanoid; and that players can use sliders to influence the visual representation of. But in a similar fashion, their cultural markers are also going to be a culmination of different influences, so they're very differently constructed culture than what is found in the other eight races.

Combined with what we know of the Underrealm and what it looks like, I am honestly drawing a complete blank when it comes to any artistic influence of the Tulnar. I hope someone at Intrepid has a clear vision. Or that one of you do. :D It would be cool to see something completely new I suppose, but I would be ok with some real world influences as well. I just don't see any.

EzCQXlRUUAEaIjf.jpg

Comments

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't think there should be one. I mean, ideally, all the races would be unique and fresh.

We don't really have a real world culture centered around being underground or digging that I am aware of. Maybe we just have not found them...

Personally, I have always liked something like Drow culture in D&D. I don't get the feeling that it was ever based off a real world culture. They took the way spiders behave and made an elf culture out of that. Female spiders commonly kill male spiders they mate with, so they made the society matriarchal. This is something that is not really seen in the real world. To me, It's always been an example of fresh world building.

I am not saying Tulnar should do this, I am just saying they should be their own fresh thing. And look good doing it.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    There’s a black box of ‘stuff happens’ between a pig and sausage. Whatever the pig looks like in that black box, THAT seems like where the artistic influence of Tulnar STARTS.

Hm…. now I’m hungry. 🤪
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The artistic influence I want to see is Eberron meets mushroom. Mushpunk if you will.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    We don't really have a real world culture centered around being underground or digging that I am aware of. Maybe we just have not found them...
    The molepeople are real!
    JustVine wrote: »
    The artistic influence I want to see is Eberron meets mushroom. Mushpunk if you will.

Ooh I like this. This below added to the glowy mushrooms above...
    Eberron.png
    f3aMrDV.jpg
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    edited December 2021
    I imagine they have mostly glow in the dark band posters everywhere that were made by crusty furry ravers that eat a lot of mushrooms and ask to crash on strangers couches a lot. A sort of Stanley George Miller meets an X-rated zootopia fever nightmare.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    JhorenJhoren Member
    edited January 2022
    I just had a thought. I would looove if the Tulnar also had glowy bodyparts that match the underrealm, like the Sylvari had glowy hair and such in Guild Wars 2.

As for artistic influence, I guess something new and cool and made up.
  • Options
    SirChancelotSirChancelot Member
    edited January 2022
    I'm not sure if they would have a type of architecture like the rest. For them to survive they probably have to move a lot so they were most likely nomadic. Maybe Mongolian influences? Or something similar to the dothraki.

Edit: Pure speculation, tulnar lore is pretty sparse.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if they would have a type of architecture like the rest. For them to survive they probably have to move a lot so they were most likely nomadic. Maybe Mongolian influences? Or something similar to the dothraki.

Why move? I think the underrealm was safe from the ancients. I think they were somewhat stationary. Interesting thought though :smile:
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I don't think we have ever heard that they were nomadic and i'm not sure why they would have to move a lot. The underrealm will have it's own nodes so there will be cities. No reason for there to not be cities in the area of the underrealm the tulnar ended up.
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »

Why move? I think the underrealm was safe from the ancients. I think they were somewhat stationary. Interesting thought though :smile:

I have no idea, I just kind of figured they would be hunted and the under realm might not have safe places to chill so they kept on the run
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

I have no idea, I just kind of figured they would be hunted and the under realm might not have safe places to chill so they kept on the run

Pretty sure the Tulnar made love not war >_>;
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    All kinds of freaky love too.
  • Options
    BoanergeseBoanergese Member
    edited January 2022
    Early Tulnar concept art.

Picture-181.png.

TNG-S1E23-65.jpg
  • Options
    BoanergeseBoanergese Member
    edited January 2022
    JustVine wrote: »

Pretty sure the Tulnar made love not war >_>;

e034a7a51747347e3fca6ff244a71d27.jpg

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5ibG9nY2RuLmNvbS93d3cuam95c3RpcS5jb20vbWVkaWEvMjAwNi8xMC8xMDAwdHJ1dGhzLmpwZw==
  • Options
    I'm imagining a lot of "touch-and-feel-art", like bumpy or scaly monuments and statues. There's light in the Underrealm per glowing substances, but you'd still have to imagine their eyesight is probably second to hearing and smell, for perception of the world around them; Non-traditional forms of art would be quite welcome.

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hhmmmm scratch and sniff. What we like to call high art in the under realm. Even more so if it glows in the dark and is fuzzy.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.