Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

If you could pay extra for a custom server rule, what would it be and why?

VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
This is all hypothetical and for fun:
If you could pay extra for a custom server rule, what would it be and why?

The assumption is that everyone on the server would be subject to the same cost price, and just that one rule would change. This also assumes that a full active player base for that rule exists.

Example:

I would pay an additional $5 a month to play on a server where no one can use their mouse to click skills. You can only use keyboard key binds and MMO mouse buttons.

I just think it would be a smoother experience. I feel like I would be more confidant in my fellow server goer, knowing they are not still using their mouse to click their rotation like it's the dark ages.

TVMenSP.png
If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.

Comments

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    1, Server has a built in combat tracker.

2, No cosmetics at all.

Of what we know so far, this is about all I can think of. Anything else i would like to see from Ashes is a change in direction (even if only subtle), not a different ruleset.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Noaani wrote: »

2, No cosmetics at all.

Of what we know so far, this is about all I can think of. Anything else i would like to see from Ashes is a change in direction (even if only subtle), not a different ruleset.

I would actually play on that server.
    TVMenSP.png
    I honestly think if Intrepid offered it as an option at launch for an additional $5 a month, it would be more popular than the regular servers.
  • I hate p2w, but the first things I think of are "me-centric" p2w.

Next, the things I think of give my entire server an advantage, which is a different kind of p2w (content rush).

My $5 per month would go on making developed nodes more secure:
    Combat within (and within sight of) a node level 3/4+(?) walls attracts a node militia NPC squad that break up the fight and there is a "disturbing the peace" consequence for offenders. Striking a member of the militia makes the offense a lot more serious. Perhaps other local players have the option of siding with the NPC militia or the attackers ('bandits'), with the ability to increase social standing within one group or the other.

They might implement something like this anyway - I want a contrast between the safety of the wilderness and civilization. I want somewhere "away from home" that I can open my inventory with less risk of being ganked.
    Forum_Signature.png
    @McMackMuck

I would have to hear a lot of good testimonials from players on your proposed server to want to play on that. I tend to like the chaos of low security areas being common.

To each his own.
    TVMenSP.png
  • There's plenty of wilderness space and nodes that aren't level 3/4+.
    Forum_Signature.png
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Heavy live GM presence server, with well-trained professional live GMs ready to pounce on all sinners. ;)
    Nerror wrote: »
    Heavy live GM presence server, with well-trained professional live GMs ready to pounce on all sinners. ;)

Ideally that would be every server, but I would pay extra for GMs to be extra present.
    TVMenSP.png
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    1. PvP is open but only within a certain gear score range relative to the players, otherwise flagged.
    2. RP tag on the server
    3. JustVine gets 5% of all sub fees.
    🔦🔱⚔️Selling pro pain and pro pain accessories. ⚔️🔱🔦
  • Good thread topic, @Vhaeyne

Keeping it simple:

No stupid SPECIAL CHARACTERS in your name! And maybe an RP-only Names rule.

• Time set before the return to Verra. So...

Tulnar only !
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited December 2021
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I would pay an additional $5 a month to play on a server where no one can use their mouse to click skills. You can only use keyboard key binds and MMO mouse buttons.

I just think it would be a smoother experience. I feel like I would be more confidant in my fellow server goer, knowing they are not still using their mouse to click their rotation like it's the dark ages.

@Vhaeyne, have scripts actually been confirmed as allowable though ... even on the regular servers?

The Ashes wiki isn't super detailed on the topic. There's only a quote from Steven:

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Security_systems#Macros

Sounds good ... my character name is "LOLSUP".

(Don't worry I would never choose that name ... :) )
    JustVine wrote: »
    1. PvP is open but only within a certain gear score range relative to the players, otherwise flagged.
    2. RP tag on the server
    3. JustVine gets 5% of all sub fees.

#3, lol.

I actually don't hate #1 if you can't gather materials past a certain tier without being flagged, and you can only change your gear in town. To prevent cheesing for resources.
    Good thread topic, @Vhaeyne

So say we all.

I don't see why that could not just be standard. Then again, I don't consider "sorcerer" to be an "RP name" so maybe Steven would have a problem with how I imagine the rules for RP names.

Percimes wrote: »
    Time set before the return to Verra. So...

Tulnar only !

You might just get your wish anyway if the Tulnar customization options are too good.
    @Vhaeyne, have scripts actually been confirmed as allowable though ... even on the regular servers?

The Ashes wiki isn't super detailed on the topic. There's only a quote from Steven:

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Security_systems#Macros

I am not talking about scripts or marcros, I am talking about preventing people from manually"mouse clicking" their rotation like you see new players do. You "can" make macros with nearly any gaming mouse or keyboard, but I don't support that and am not talking about that.

From what I understand, they will "try" to keep people from using macros and scripts to automate game play. Which is normal.
    TVMenSP.png
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'd pay at least $3 extra per month for:

"Guild Max size is 30, all Alliances cause a daily monetary resource drain on both guilds."

with nothing else changed from their intended design of guilds.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    1. No siege set time. You have a 24h Cd upon starting siege preps, however the defenders can attack at any time to break the siege and after 24h, the attackers can choose any time to begin the siege instead of an auto start

2. There are various nodes already placed. You can work through a questline to disrupt these nodes ruled by monsters and abominations, or build a node nearby and use it to abolish your evil neighbours. Special rule, only 1 metropolis as the great capital of these lands
  • SathragoSathrago Member
    edited December 2021
    Allow players to level up all primary and secondary classes on a single character but that character can only have a single profession at any one time.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
    Azherae wrote: »
    I'd pay at least $3 extra per month for:

"Guild Max size is 30, all Alliances cause a daily monetary resource drain on both guilds."

with nothing else changed from their intended design of guilds.

I could go for that.

While it wouldn't stop the spread of large guilds completely, it would make them exponentially harder to run. Having your guild spread out over 20 guilds is much more of a challenge to stay on top of that if they were spread over two.
  • MahesMahes Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would pay extra money for a server that:

Would not allow any form of automated botting or gold selling. They actually and honestly enforced the policy. I would pay an extra $5.00 a month for true enforcement.
    Mahes wrote: »
    I would pay extra money for a server that:

Would not allow any form of automated botting or gold selling. They actually and honestly enforced the policy. I would pay an extra $5.00 a month for true enforcement.

I truly hope no one has to pay extra for that.
    TVMenSP.png
  • My server rule would be no cosmetic items. We will be able to see visual progression and actual mounts that people have.
  • McShave wrote: »
    My server rule would be no cosmetic items. We will be able to see visual progression and actual mounts that people have.

second1.gif
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • My server would toggle off corruption. Not because I dislike the system, but because I think a single completely hostile and chaotic server would be funsies
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would pay extra for a no ui server. Everything by feel and the signs the game give you. No health bars. No skill bar etc.
    I would pay extra for a no ui server. Everything by feel and the signs the game give you. No health bars. No skill bar etc.

I would not play on that server, but I will defend to my death your right to want it.
    TVMenSP.png
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited December 2021
    Slash target @daveywavey with no distance constraint. Part way through a raid, he’d be like:

4G8HzUo.png

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Percimes wrote: »
    Time set before the return to Verra. So...

Tulnar only !

That sounds great! Tulnar only on this one server, and no Tulnar at all on all the other servers! I think you've just solved everyone's problems!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • 3Snap3Snap Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2022

2, No cosmetics at all.

I honestly think if Intrepid offered it as an option at launch for an additional $5 a month, it would be more popular than the regular servers.

I'd be OK with this. But realisticly it would have to be the monthly sub + the cost of the monthly cosmetics (which is the revenue they stand to lose) so you should be paying $135 per month per person for this server rule. Lol.

3Snap wrote: »
    But realisticly it would have to be the monthly sub + the cost of the monthly cosmetics (which is the revenue they stand to lose) so you should be paying $135 per month per person for this server rule. Lol.
    No it wouldn't.

I plan to not buy a single cosmetic, as do most of the people I am friends with that either are or have considered playing this game. I would wager that the bulk of people that would pay extra to play on a server with no cosmetics would also not pay anything for cosmetics - it makes no real sense otherwise.

As such, if they get $5 more out of each of us, that is $5 more than they would have made.
  • 3Snap3Snap Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    But realisticly it would have to be the monthly sub + the cost of the monthly cosmetics (which is the revenue they stand to lose) so you should be paying $135 per month per person for this server rule. Lol.
    No it wouldn't.

I plan to not buy a single cosmetic, as do most of the people I am friends with that either are or have considered playing this game. I would wager that the bulk of people that would pay extra to play on a server with no cosmetics would also not pay anything for cosmetics - it makes no real sense otherwise.

As such, if they get $5 more out of each of us, that is $5 more than they would have made.

Yes that's true. The servers would be immensely popular. And then it will start drawing people that may have spent occasionly because it's a better experience and hey it's only a extra $5. Then more people will join because everyone else is, resulting in significant sales decrease. Hell even I who has brought cosmetics would instantly switch to a no MTX server for a clean experience. People tend to flock to higher population servers for a better experience. The only way Ashes could retain the revenue would be to drasticly increase the monthly sub cost for clean servers.
    The only way Ashes could retain the revenue would be to drasticly increase the monthly sub cost for clean servers.
    By increasing, yes.

Just not by $120 a month as you suggest.

There absolutely will be a massive number of players that prefer cosmetics and so play on those servers. There will also be a mass of people that are happy paying $15 a month and not a cent more. We have had a whole lot of threads here with people saying $15 a month is too much.

Servers without a ruleset like this will be adequately populated. This means the only reason people have for going to this server is because they want this ruleset. As such, $5 a month extra probably is enough to cover the lost revenue from these people not buying cosmetics.