Twitch Drops

NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited December 2021 in General Discussion
Would you like to see twitch drops enabled for Ashes release? Before release even? Why? Why not? And if yes, what type of drops? I've seen New World, Elder Scrolls Online and many other games offer them. It's essentially a marketing tool.

What are Twitch Drops you may ask?
Twitch Drops enables you to grant in-game rewards to the Twitch community when streamers play your game or when they complete in-game missions, such as conquering a particularly difficult part of the game or by claiming victory during a battle royale game.
https://dev.twitch.tv/docs/drops/

For example, if you watch your favourite streamer with drops enabled for X hours playing Ashes, you get to claim a reward if you link your Twitch account with Ashes, or you get a key to redeem.

Comments

• Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'd rather not. Just seems similar to login rewards. Getting stuff for not doing anything. But that's just me.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    No thanks.
  • Not for me.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    A twitch reward? Like an emoji for Twitch or something IN a Ashe's?
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

For the games I have seen, it's usually cosmetic items in the game, that you "earn" by watching the streamer long enough.
    Nerror wrote: »

For the games I have seen, it's usually cosmetic items in the game, that you "earn" by watching the streamer long enough.

As a marketing tool, I don't get this.

The point of encouraging streamers is to get more people playing the game.

Why then, would you reward people watching a stream who are already playing the game?

It's almost as if marketing people can't figure out what to do with streamers, and so are just trying whatever.
  • Noaani wrote: »
    Why then, would you reward people watching a stream who are already playing the game?

Monthly sub renewal.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »

Monthly sub renewal.

In what way is this going to be effective?

Either the player in question is invested enough in the game to watch the streamer - in which case they are likely to remain subscribed as long as the streamer plays the game, or they are not I vested in the game at all and probably don't have their Twitch and Intrepid accounts linked.

I just don't see an overlap where this would have an gains for Intrepid.
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In short, it's an attempt at incentivizing community participation for community activities outside the game. This works in some fps communities and some battle royale communities. However there are two factors that make it work not present in Ashes:

1. Communities this work in are a certain type of detached from cosmetics in the first place and therefore its literally just 'something to show off you were around.' Cosmetics in these games are more so trophies than self expression and are therefore have a less entitled culture relative to them. This isn't something that is true for most MMO's (note that said entitlement is not bad. It's just a difference in priorities.)

2. Communities this work in are a lot more geared towards watching other people play as an over arching communal activity. There is a certain element of celebrating the skill and entertaining personalities that surround them. Such communities tend to have more popular and well known charismatic figures that help unite the community as pseudo brand ambassadors. Giving them tools like twitch drop skins usually makes sense for them. Ashes will probably not suit this type of external community engagement as universally due to it be less of a 'made form stream' kind of game. Maybe later in it's life span they will have popular/universally liked enough figures to make such a thing make sense.

Overall it's a unique tool that has a very explicit purpose and use case. As a marketer, I don't think AoC fits those parameters well enough to justify the possible pr issues that may result from using it in a less than optimal community type.
    Node coffers: Single Payer Capitalism in action
    Indeed.

I can fully see it in FPS and BR games. Even Minecraft could work.

I just don't see how it would benefit any MMORPG.
  • I don’t think it’s effective, but that would be the primary revenue stream to influence. Sprinkle little incentives here and there for the dopamine bump.

Like I said, not for me.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
    I don't understand.
    People decrying FOMO for cosmetics in anther thread and then here promoting it?

Why would I go watch a shaved monkey playing the game for cosmetics?
    All I see this leading to here is people joining the streamers streams, muting them and minimizing the page just to get the stuff.
    Is this an attempt to bump streamers numbers?
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Why would you watch a shaved monkey ever? 🧐
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
    That is in fact a practice that can and does happen. But just because some people take the antisocial route does not mean it doesn't have the desired effect on more social types of people.

It's sole function is to boost engagement and a communal feeling by giving a small dopamine bump during community events. That's literally all it is. There are other small tools that do this as well and suit an mmo community better.

Also, I have yet to see any one here who was against fomo in one thread specifically supporting it in this thread. Pretty sure Nerror is just bored and wants discussion.
    Maybe.
    If I had time to watch a stream about a game I would rather be engaged and playing the game.
    Maybe I am just crazy but I can't bring myself to watch a stream regarding any active game that I can go play myself.

Promoting exclusive items for watching an active stream for a limited time...
    Sounds like FOMO to me unless I am missing a piece and everyone get the items?
    Hmm, there can be elements of FOMO yes. That's more specific to what type of rewards are given and how though. Nerror has not explicitly supported this concept let alone specifics as far as I have understood.

As for the stream watching thing. Yeah I relate to that a lot. I only tend to watch them when there is like a tournament of some kind, my arthritis is acting up, or I've already played too much and just need to relax.
    Ya didn't see and specifics either and I personally am against getting stuff like that, that is not from a company specific event. Like the Extra life event, I am all for Intrepid giving stuff away or special stuff for the yearly event.
    I am however against anything from any outside event not hosted by Intrepid or in concert with them.
    If they choose to hitch their wagon with a big name streamer for a charity event and advertise well on advance then I would be all for it.
    But for Johnny the Shaved Monkey no.
    In my experience, people that watch gaming streams fit in to two major catagories.

The first are people for whom that game stream is the primary community they are a part of for that game. In terms of an MMO, this is a sad and pathetic group.

The second group are people who have a device they can use, but whose parents won't allow them to play a game just yet.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2021
    I don't understand.
    People decrying FOMO for cosmetics in anther thread and then here promoting it?

So far I've only seen people against it for Ashes in this thread. If you mean me, I'll just let @JustVine answer for me :smile:
    JustVine wrote: »
    Nerror has not explicitly supported this concept let alone specifics as far as I have understood.

I quite deliberately kept it neutral, because I am interested in getting people's opinions without them being colored/influenced by the wording or opinions in OP.
  • OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's designed to bump up viewer numbers of a game to create hype. To create FOMO kind of. If so many people are watching it streamed, then so many people must be playing it, I must be missing out on something.

Many types of marketing are designed to influence...less intelligent people. And it's gotten easier over the last couple of decades for obvious reasons. Eventually there will be a backlash and marketers will have to pull back on some of their methods. But for now, ez pz money in the bank.
  • I don't mind twitch drops on occasion. If it helps the game, then it helps the game. Personally, it's not something I would bother with unless I badly wanted the look of that specific cosmetic.
    edited December 2021
    It's not a big deal either way to me. I give it like somewhere between 99-100 percent chance there will be twitch drops for Ashes lol

I guess I'd kinda prefer there not be, but it's just the way it is these days.
    Okeydoke wrote: »
    I give it like somewhere between 99-100 percent chance there will be twitch drops for Ashes lol
    Idiots need to be marketed to as well.

If this is what it takes...

lol yeah. It doesn't hurt anyone. It's just free skins or free whatever they're dropping. I'm more in the old fashioned camp of all those kinds of things should be achievements in the game, just charge me the cost of the game. That's just not where we are now though.

It is good marketing, very effective. And it can ultimately be a boon for the game, which is good for all players of the game. I usually get my drops for the games I play that have them, I'm there in the stream, it's muted haha. On one hand it's just whatever, who cares, on the other its a little lame and silly. Whatever. I go get my free skin drops and I don't even think I ever wear them haha
  • I dont entirely see a need for twitch drops simply because the only bonus it can give to benefit the game is to attract new players that see a streamer play it.... but the streamer will already be streaming it regardless of twitch drops if they plan to play it. A better tactic as far as promoting the game would be to basically sponsor streamers with relatively high numbers of followers by giving them the game and so they can promote it to their audiences. And that is just a purely business driven thought.

A better solution instead of twitch drops would be to have in game activities involving the games community coming together in order to get the prizes. No secondary party needed. And I love one-off exclusive in-game events.
    GJjUGHx.gif