Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Mob Spawning Style

Imo, mobs shouldnt be spawned in groups like in WoW where u run from group to group. It should work like in New Wolrd where animals live in the forest, and deadmans are walking on thier village, it makes hunting for food more engaging than just grinding food

Comments

• Yeah, I would definitely love to see a change in how mobs are spawned from the MMO standard. There has been talk of this with regarding to gathering wool/hides from herds as a movable resource, but I don't think there has been any indication yet that they are planning something like this for regular mobs.

Also, here's hoping they have a respectable respawn time, so we don't get overwhelmed because the respawn time is too fast for the time to kill each mob.
  • This is a good point actually. Mob spawn placement is more important than people may think. It can increase or decrease an objectives difficulty as well as the style of going about completing that objective. Denser mob spawns prove difficult battles while Spaced out definitely feels more of a hunt.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • definitly there is some room for testing
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I agree.

Wonder if the ideas for mob spawning from the failed initial approach from Ultima Online if with some much knowledge and tech since whether a modified version wtih more intelligent AI,/ procedural approach might work.

Similarly, the ideas that Everquest Next had, I was very much looking forward to..
  • yea, concept might be worthy of some testing, but will it fit ashes? who knows
  • If they have dynamic spawning gathering resources, why can't they have dynamic spawning monsters as well?
  • AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think mobs spawning in groups has it's place, especially in dungeons or bandit camp style areas, that's not to say that there shouldn't be free-spawning patrols in those areas as well.
    k2U15J3.png
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2022
    My problem is more so the short leashes modern mmos have. They remove most of the skill and danger in pulling a mob and keeping aware of possible links. A longer leash range can fix this. The more the have room to wander, the more their pathing algorithm will allow for more natural as spread. There is room for scripted spawns and short leashes, but I hope they aren't the majority.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Big amount of wandering should help too yea