Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

UE5 dev update demo - and small critique

ScootsScoots Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
First things first, like most everyone else, I'm super happy Intrepid decided to push forward with the switch to UE5. It was the right move. The demo was awesome. The landscape design and snowy biome looked beautiful. The new lighting capabilities are phenomenal.

One small critique...the flower monsters in the snowy landscape setting just didn't fit for me. It personally took me out of the immersion for that area. Don't get me wrong, the flower monsters are independently beautiful, but the choice to make them be the monster in that area just didn't fit IMO. Something like those ice golems we saw a few of, were much more fitting.

Now, it's quite possible they just chose those flowers quasi-randomly in an effort to quickly throw a demo together...and perhaps those won't be the mobs for that area that make it to the final release of the game.

(While we're on the topic, for Ashes, I'd like to see flora-based mobs a little more evil/corrupt in appearance. Otherwise they just seem a bit too juvenile/comical. Which is totally fine in moderation or in the right setting, but I wouldn't want that to be the general feel of the entire game. Not to take away from the beautiful artwork the team is building, as I said, independently the assets look great.)

Anyhoo, just my 2 cents.

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    It was a tech demo, not an early look at the game world.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Noaani wrote: »

Ah, I was under the impression the zone was going to be in the game. (With the tower and entrance to a dungeon he discussed etc.) But even if not, I still wanted to share some feedback on the game design in general.
  • Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Scoots wrote: »

Ah, I was under the impression the zone was going to be in the game. (With the tower and entrance to a dungeon he discussed etc.) But even if not, I still wanted to share some feedback on the game design in general.

The zone may be in game however the mobs are most likely just placeholder to fill the world for testing. As we get closer to launch the feel of the areas will come together :D
  • Options
    The monsters were dumb, like, really dumb. Even in another area. They just don't look like any real effort was put into them. I'd take a generic Kobold over some weird Jumanji plants any day.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Scoots wrote: »

The zone may be in game however the mobs are most likely just placeholder to fill the world for testing. As we get closer to launch the feel of the areas will come together :D

Yeah, that's my assumption as well. I went back and watched the video again, and that area definitely seems like it's going to be part of the game the way Steven was talking about it. And just to reiterate, the game looks great. Flower mobs or no, I still look forward to exploring every inch. Watching it the second time, the flower mobs grew on me a little bit too. (Pardon the pun.) They may not fit the winter landscape imo, but they're still pretty cool mobs maybe in a more jungle type biome. idk. All this got me wondering if that particular area will only be snowy during the "winter" season, or if it will be that way year-round...and then if the mobs perhaps will change with the season.
  • Options
    Merek wrote: »
    The monsters were dumb, like, really dumb. Even in another area. They just don't look like any real effort was put into them. I'd take a generic Kobold over some weird Jumanji plants any day.

I sort of felt the opposite honestly. Looking at their animations and the way they move it felt a lot a decent amount of effort was put in. Even with the death animation and the petals falling it all looked pretty solid for me for a demo.