Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Would someone mind catching me up?

I haven't really kept up to date with the project mostly because last I saw is that each class was gonna have a singular armor style where you would need to pretty much buy cosmetic armor and that kinda lost my interest.

Pretty much just wondering if that is the same, also how the class system works. Is it more like WoW where you pick one class and stick with it and have to make multiple account to make characters to play different classes, or FF14 with one character that can swap between anything, or Archeage where you just mash a bunch of classes together and play what seems fun?

Comments

• Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited December 2021
    I have no idea what you mean by "each class was gonna have a singular armor style where you would need to pretty much buy cosmetic armor" but that has never been the case. Any archetype can wear any armor they want. A Mage could wear full heavy gear with a 2h Sword if they wanted. A Tank could wear full light armor with a Wand if they wanted.

You pick your primary archetype when you make your character and that is permanent, you cannot change your primary archetype. Your secondary archetype is what creates your class and that can be changed with some effort.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    I'll see if I can find the post for it but maybe it wasn't class based like I thought but each armor category (Heavy, Medium, Light) had it's out specific look that wouldn't really change without cosmetics bought from the shop.
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    Genhgis wrote: »
    I'll see if I can find the post for it but maybe it wasn't class based like I thought but each armor category (Heavy, Medium, Light) had it's out specific look that wouldn't really change without cosmetics bought from the shop.

That's not true. There'll be lots of different in-game achievable armor with different looks. Steven wants the best looking armor in the game to be in-game achievable only for example.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    @Genhgis

It appears you have a whole lot of inaccurate information.

If I were you, I would just make the assumption that everything you think you know about this game is wrong, and start looking in to it as if it were a new game.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    @Genhgis

If I were you, I would just make the assumption that everything you think you know about this game is wrong, and start looking in to it as if it were a new game.

No I'm going off one of the first posts they had like 4 years ago when they first started sharing footage. If they've changed it that's great but hot damn so far community seems hella condescending
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Every class can equip any type of armor.
    An armor will have slight appearance differences, depending on what race your character is.
    The same piece of breastplate or helmet will look slightly different between an elf and a human.

You dont need to buy cosmetics. This wont be like bdo.
  • Options
    @Genhgis

No I'm going off one of the first posts they had like 4 years ago when they first started sharing footage. If they've changed it that's great but hot damn so far community seems hella condescending

No you're not.

I have no idea what it is you are going on about, but none of what you have said has anything to do with this game. There has never been any suggestion of needing to buy cosmetics, There has also never been any suggestion of classes being locked to an armor type - that goes directly against one of the basics of this game that has been a basic from day 1.

It isn't condescending to tell you that literally everything you think you know about this game is wrong when literally everything you have said you know about this game so far has been wrong.

Looking in to this game from the start once again is truly the best thing you could do - as you need to assume everything you think you know about it is incorrect.

I am speaking from experience here, having informed dozens of people on these forums that basic things about the game that they think are true are in fact not. This then takes them even longer to untangle the things that they think are true from the things that are indeed true, and they have to completely re-evaluate their opinions on the game anyway.

So, as I said above, the best, easiest and fastest thing for you to do is to assume you know nothing at all about this game, and then start looking in to it as if it were a game you were first hearing about just now.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited December 2021
    Find @Jahlon’s Ashes 101 site. Probably the best starting point with the most accurate info.

@Noaani and I don’t always agree, but I’m with him on this topic. I’ve been following this project for about four years and nothing you mentioned above rings a bell.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    @Genhgis

No you're not.

I have no idea what it is you are going on about, but none of what you have said has anything to do with this game. There has never been any suggestion of needing to buy cosmetics, There has also never been any suggestion of classes being locked to an armor type - that goes directly against one of the basics of this game that has been a basic from day 1.

It isn't condescending to tell you that literally everything you think you know about this game is wrong when literally everything you have said you know about this game so far has been wrong.

Looking in to this game from the start once again is truly the best thing you could do - as you need to assume everything you think you know about it is incorrect.

I am speaking from experience here, having informed dozens of people on these forums that basic things about the game that they think are true are in fact not. This then takes them even longer to untangle the things that they think are true from the things that are indeed true, and they have to completely re-evaluate their opinions on the game anyway.

So, as I said above, the best, easiest and fastest thing for you to do is to assume you know nothing at all about this game, and then start looking in to it as if it were a game you were first hearing about just now.

I never did say they were locking armor or weapons to specific classes, they were influenced by Archeage for that I just remember there being a hella early blog post where they showed 1 of each set, Heavy, Medium, and light and pretty much said that was gonna be what people where gonna get for non cash shop armor looks but it looks like they changed directions on that and it pleases me and hot damn you seem like quite the little elitist prick don't you?
  • Options
    @Genhgis

No you're not.

I never did say they were locking armor or weapons to specific classes, they were influenced by Archeage for that I just remember there being a hella early blog post where they showed 1 of each set, Heavy, Medium, and light and pretty much said that was gonna be what people where gonna get for non cash shop armor looks but it looks like they changed directions on that and it pleases me and hot damn you seem like quite the little elitist prick don't you?

It's all good dude, don't take him to seriously...

If you have been out of the loop for a few years you might want to start fresh.
    The wiki is a great resource
    And ashes101 isn't bad, but Narc has newer videos of you look for him on YouTube.

But to answer your original question, I would say it isn't really close to any of those? Maybe WoW over FFXIV as you won't be able to switch your primary archetype around the way you can switch jobs in FF, but we don't know how much the augment system will let your secondary archtype affect that to change the flavor... Sooo, there are still a lot of unknowns.

• Options
    My dude, you come onto forums asking to be caught up. People explain to you your perception of the game is incorrect. You proceed to say you are correct despite not being up to date at all. And you're calling people pricks For trying to tell you otherwise. Hell I disagree with @Noaani plenty, but he wasn't being a prick, he was informing you that the information you found was wrong and extremely misleading as far as explaining what Ashes of Creation is.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    LOL. lol

Yo check out the ashes wiki Genhgis.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Armor

Probably the info you're looking for there.

Or Jahlon's site like Crowe said.
  • Options
    @SirChancelot11 Will do, thanks for the suggestions so the hybrid system seems to be more of their own thing that feels influenced by Archeage than but not directly ripping off that class system. I think I could get behind 1 Perma class and swapping out a secondary depending on what you feel like doing.

@Dolyem I know but I didn't come in with any information like he was claiming, I just remember seeing a blog post from years ago, now maybe my memory is wrong but it kinda killed my hype for the game at the time and I figured I'd come and see what has changed.

@Okeydoke Yeah I saw that already been looking through stuff since I posted. I may have just misremembered and it was the Racial Aspect but when they first announced it, it sounded like that was how you were gonna look. Pretty basic without cosmetics and it just sounded hella lame you know what I mean?
  • Options
    Thats fair, I would honestly say to just watch lazy peons videos on ashes in order. He does a great job at recapping and summarizing the development in each video
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    This is around a year or so ago so start here and go through each video in order if you have the time. I encourage you to watch them all because obviously some of his concerns are addressed over time
    https://youtu.be/1s82xJnx1EY
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Aight I'll listen to them when I get up, got a few youtubers to listen to it seems like. But at least it'll keep me awake while I work on Dailies in AAU. Thanks for the recommendations everyone.
  • Options
    Dolyem I know but I didn't come in with any information like he was claiming

You came in with the following misinformation
    I haven't really kept up to date with the project mostly because last I saw is that each class was gonna have a singular armor style where you would need to pretty much buy cosmetic armor and that kinda lost my interest.
    That is incorrect.

If that is all you think you know about the game, then forget it and start from scratch.

You are even now admitting that you misremembered the post - basically saying that the thing you thought you knew you now know was incorrect - exactly as I said it was.

In other words, the best thing for you to do is assume you know nothing about this game, and start learning about it from scratch.

But yeah, I'm the prick here.
  • Options
    ShadonSolShadonSol Moderator, Member, Alpha One
    edited December 2021
    Closing this thread as it repeatedly strays into finger-pointing.

To answer OP: You pick one archetype out of 8 at level one and then a second one out of the same 8 at lv 25 which will allow you to modify your existing skills. You can switch your secondary archetype. but not your primary one.

The wiki is a great place to catch up and read about the different mechanics!
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
    volunteer_moderator.gif
This discussion has been closed.