Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Different borders to show how powerful an enemy is

What do you people think about different portrait-borders to show how elite is the mob you are looking at? Right now it shows "+" near the level of the mob, but I doubt this is how it's going to end up looking at the end. Archeage did it quite well, they had different borders with stars, but stars is something you need to count. How strong is that drake? Wait, let me count the stars... The best way it was ever done was in LOTRO, where the moment you targeted the enemy you knew immediately how strong it was, and you didn't have to count anything or memorize anything, it was very apparent. If it has a bunch of flames coming out of it's portrait, don't touch it!

L0282sgG_elite%20borders.png

Like this post if you think something like that should be added into the game.

Comments

• Options
    SneakzSneakz Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    definitely like the idea
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I love it, way better than "A debuff" to show what grade they are.

That said, the LOTRO ones are tacky AF.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Good idea.
  • Options
    Yep, good idea. Anyone else remember con colors?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah I remember liking the LOTRO approach to it.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If there is a way to turn off that element individually and check difficulty a different way, sure.

Those borders are ghastly unimmersive and distracting. Bloody awful, but I can see it's merits for people who are less in tune with color ratings.

If they make a check function I would target just be able to use it on monster and it give a vague strength reading and it's strongest/weakest stat relative to me.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    JustVine wrote: »
    Those borders are ghastly unimmersive and distracting. Bloody awful, but I can see it's merits for people who are less in tune with color ratings.
    My preferred system for this is to have a border to specify the level appropriate strength of the mob, and then use color to signify the level gap between you and it.

So you have borders that are more or less ornate, depending on how many players the mob is intended for. Not as intrusive as those in the OP, and I also don't see a need for more than three or four different borders (mobs intended for solo players, small groups, full groups, raids).

Then have a color to delineate mob level in relation to your character. An example of this (pulled directly from another game), is that if the mob is 10 levels or more below you, it's nameplate text is grey. If it is 5 - 9 levels below you, it is green, 1 - 4 levels below you it is blue, the same level as you and it is white, 1 - 4 levels above you and it is yellow, 5 - 9 levels above you and it is orange, 10+ levels above you and it is red.

In terms of quick target identification of PvE mobs, imo this is all the information that is needed.
  • Options
    The ones I showed worked great for LOTRO, with Eye of Sauron and flames, and stuff like that. If Intrepid will want to do something similar for Ashes, it must be something very different looking.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Instead of the Eye of Sauron, have the border relate to corruption, maybe?

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    AncientIncantAncientIncant Member
    edited December 2021
    Call me old fashioned, but I’d like a traditional level number displayed.

No elite.
    No “+”
    No dragons or flames.

Just level 15 beach troll or level 700 Elder Dragon of the Tundra.

Jaded by overworked art in 2021. Cybertruck anyone? :p
    969ac0db3fed38b86a2d982c8bda68c7c372cb4f.gifv
    "Knowledge is Power and I know a lot."
    - Dalaran Aspirant
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Seems like clutter.
    I prefer different colours for the letters naming the mob, inside the target box.
    Blue, lightblue, green, white, yellow, faded red, red.
  • Options
    Why not stick with colored names? That was one of the few good features from BDO.
  • Options
    I think color is fine as long as everyone knows what the colors are, but remember some people are color blind with red, green, etc. Maybe a number may be easier or a number and a color. Perhaps 1 being weak and 7 being Godlike in difficulty. I would also tweech the color a little because in your example 5, 6, and 7 were a little too subtle, but it is a good idea @Spurius. Having a number with a color around it will help everyone. Of course, if you have 500 hit points and the enemy 5 million hit points it might be obvious who is going to win the fight.
  • Options
    Merek wrote: »
    Why not stick with colored names? That was one of the few good features from BDO.

How do you propose using just color to convey two different pieces of information?

At a glance, players should be able to see roughly how many players the mob is intended for (solo, group, raid), and what the mobs level is in relation to your character.

This is why I personally think nameplate borders (simplified compared to what is posted above) and text color. Each aspect of the design is used to convey a different piece of information.
  • Options
    I'm on board with having other visual indicators of the strength of mobs. There should be more than just the color of the mob's name.
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Samson wrote: »
    I'm on board with having other visual indicators of the strength of mobs. There should be more than just the color of the mob's name.

I was actually thinking it would be for players too. It would look at the gear score and relative stats and give you a difference in power at a glance.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Why not just leave it to players to gauge monsters strength ? Whats fun in knowing beforehand What you need to defeat the monster ?
  • Options
    SamsonSamson Member
    edited December 2021
    Soez wrote: »
    Why not just leave it to players to gauge monsters strength ? Whats fun in knowing beforehand What you need to defeat the monster ?

I think people can go a little overboard with saying that players just need to figure it out on their own. And many that tend to argue for this are the ones that say, "But my immersion... :'( " Some UI information is important to have in MMOs and should not be taken away because of the my immersion argument. This goes for mob/enemy/NPC borders, icons over the heads of important NPCs, AOE indicators, etc.

Immersion is important but it can definitely be taken too far where the game suffers from the removal of certain UI info and game mechanics. If you would like to figure out if a mob will kill you in one hit or not without any visual indication, you can just play the game with the UI toggled off and see what happens. :)
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

I was actually thinking it would be for players too. It would look at the gear score and relative stats and give you a difference in power at a glance.

My initial thought was that I don't like this, but after thinking about it for a few minutes, I actually kind of do.

It partially makes up for not being able to see the gear players have on.

So, a system where we have a system where level gap is denoted by color, for both PvE and PvP, and then a border indication to delineate solo/group/raid for PvE, and gear differentiation for PvP.

You are still needing to look at the specific buff the player has to get an indication of the specific type of armor the player is wearing (which would likely be something along the lines of a buff to magic damage for cloth, a buff to melee damage for leather and a buff to defense for plate - as an example).

To me, this creates an acceptable over all paradigm, even if I am not super stoked about the individual components of it.
  • Options
    SpuriusSpurius Member
    edited December 2021
    "But my immersion... :'( "

I don't think corruption-themed borders would break anyone's immersion. You can say that they represent a feeling you get looking at an enemy.

Too many number-indicators kind of do break an immersion though. Begins to feel like a game wants you to solve a math-problem. :*

I think that is the difference between "one star, two stars... let me check the star-manual now, I have it opened somewhere..." and "HOLY MOTHER OF JESUS THAT'S A LOT OF FLAMES".
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

Different borders for the players is something LOTRO never did, but I always thought would be cool. For the mobs borders should not represent the difference in power, but rather represent how deep does the evil go here. So they are not personalized - this mob just always has that border, does not matter who is looking at him. And if we make them for players, it should go along the same lines.

• Options

I think people can go a little overboard with saying that players just need to figure it out on their own. And many that tend to argue for this are the ones that say, "But my immersion... :'( " Some UI information is important to have in MMOs and should not be taken away because of the my immersion argument. This goes for mob/enemy/NPC borders, icons over the heads of important NPCs, AOE indicators, etc.

Immersion is important but it can definitely be taken too far where the game suffers from the removal of certain UI info and game mechanics. If you would like to figure out if a mob will kill you in one hit or not without any visual indication, you can just play the game with the UI toggled off and see what happens. :)

names, levels and titles of the NPCs are necessary info, but when you notice that some mob looks bigger
    and more menacing than anything else around you, you instinctively know that mob is strong, but how strong?will you need teammates to defeat it or you can do it alone?

problem with strength indication is that it depends on individual players, you and your friend might defeat some subset of 4-star bosses easily but others might have hard time defeating them even as full party. Hence strength indication is irrelevant in that sense.

No UI info is just as bad as having UI info on everything. You have to identify which UI infos are necessary. In this case fancy enemy name borders are not necessary because they dont apply to everyone.
  • Options
    SpuriusSpurius Member
    edited December 2021
    but when you notice that some mob looks bigger and more menacing than anything else around you, you instinctively know that mob is strong
    This is something Steven might actually say. He likes silhouettes being informative on their own.

not necessary
    It's not necessary, but it is cool.

Hence strength indication is irrelevant in that sense.
    Hence any strength indication is "irrelevant". In that sense.

• Options
    LuthienstormLuthienstorm Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think it's too specific. It's the difference between being told the story and showing the story. This system leads players to not have to think for themselves and leaves a certain level of exploration and risk out of the equation. I'd prefer it to be done in a different way.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think it's too specific. It's the difference between being told the story and showing the story. This system leads players to not have to think for themselves and leaves a certain level of exploration and risk out of the equation. I'd prefer it to be done in a different way.

I like this take.
    Let the difficulty of a mob be experienced, instead of indicated - keep players on their toes when trying new stuff.

There are so many stories of people accidentally wandering into areas way beyond their depth, and you basically kill all that sense of adventure by putting up guard-rails for players.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »

I like this take.
    Let the difficulty of a mob be experienced, instead of indicated - keep players on their toes when trying new stuff.

There are so many stories of people accidentally wandering into areas way beyond their depth, and you basically kill all that sense of adventure by putting up guard-rails for players.

PvP in Ashes provides that sense of adventure.

Let PvE be known.
  • Options
    SpuriusSpurius Member
    edited January 2022
    I don't think that the point of these borders is to inform you of something. In LOTRO when you saw these it's not like you were expecting something else. When you go to the dungeon you expect the mobs to be stronger, and you expect the boss to be stronger then the mobs. The borders just represent what you already know. I doubt we are going to have a "surprise raid boss" scenario, where the boss appears out of the bushes, but he looks like a rabbit, so you don't know.