Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Staves basic attacks CAN’T be melee

HeissTeaHeissTea Member
edited December 2021 in General Discussion
It would make more sense if staves basic attacks would be some sort of magical spell instead of regular melee attack. It would represent the mage archetype better.

Comments

• Options
    agree! and it can have special modifers, for diference in build crafting, like a fire stuff berns target, water stuff regen litle amount of mana, light stuff stuck's effect when it 3 on target, target get stunn for 1-2 sec and etc )
  • Options
    HeissTea wrote: »
    It would make more sense if staves basic attacks would be some sort of magical spell instead of regular melee attack. It would represent the mage archetype better.
    Agreed
    969ac0db3fed38b86a2d982c8bda68c7c372cb4f.gifv
    "Knowledge is Power and I know a lot."
    - Dalaran Aspirant
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited December 2021
    I read the title as "Steve's basic attacks" and thought it was a comment on Steven Sharif's martial arts skills.

As to the actual topic, we have books, wands, and orbs already that provide magical ranged attacks. I think having a staff do the same thing would be redundant. Also, out of the 5 confirmed ranged weapons, 60% (3 of the 5) are magical in nature. (The potion launcher is not confirmed to be in the MMORPG as it was in Apocalypse, and it's debatable whether it would count as a mundane or magical ranged weapon even if it was.) It seems greedy to ask for yet another one.

ETA: I am planning on playing a Mage as my main character so I wouldn't object to another magical weapon, but it would be selfish of me to deprive melee combatants of the ability to use a staff weapon. And honestly, it might even make sense for a Mage to have a melee option and carry a staff anyway. Weapons aren't tied to classes in this game.

Another edit: I wonder if there is a possibility to have augments that make a staff's attacks appear to be melee-range magical attacks for those of us who are Mages and want a staff option?

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Would be interesting if a staff acted different if you were a fighter or a mage. Being either a wizard staff or monk style staff accordingly.
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    The problem is Staves can be used by any class and they go in the melee slot. Staves are not ranged weapons. For that you have the Scepter, Wand, Orb and Grimoire if you want magic flavored ranged weapons.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    I find it interesting too. Maybe if the different type of attack styles could be achieved through the weapon progression of the staff. Or even as a possible upgrade to the actual item. But I think it only would be fair if it would be permanent on that item, altough changing styles mid fight could be interesting, may be a little too flexible.
  • Options
    Jahlon wrote: »
    The problem is Staves can be used by any class and they go in the melee slot. Staves are not ranged weapons. For that you have the Scepter, Wand, Orb and Grimoire if you want magic flavored ranged weapons.

Is scepter a weapon type? It’s not on the Wiki. I’m intrigued!!!

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Atama wrote: »
    (The potion launcher is not confirmed to be in the MMORPG as it was in Apocalypse, and it's debatable whether it would count as a mundane or magical ranged weapon even if it was.)

Potion launcher is the cannons from boats
  • Options

They could probably make it like dark souls III where you can't use the spell effect if you don't have high enough intellect, so that other melee focused archetypes are only able to use the melee basic attack.
  • Options
    Would be interesting if a staff acted different if you were a fighter or a mage. Being either a wizard staff or monk style staff accordingly.

Yes, that was exactly what I was thinking too! Great idea!
  • Options
    HeissTeaHeissTea Member
    edited December 2021
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Scepter is on the wiki: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Scepters

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    I read the title as "Steve's basic attacks" and thought it was a comment on Steven Sharif's martial arts skills.

As to the actual topic, we have books, wands, and orbs already that provide magical ranged attacks. I think having a staff do the same thing would be redundant. Also, out of the 5 confirmed ranged weapons, 60% (3 of the 5) are magical in nature. (The potion launcher is not confirmed to be in the MMORPG as it was in Apocalypse, and it's debatable whether it would count as a mundane or magical ranged weapon even if it was.) It seems greedy to ask for yet another one.

ETA: I am planning on playing a Mage as my main character so I wouldn't object to another magical weapon, but it would be selfish of me to deprive melee combatants of the ability to use a staff weapon. And honestly, it might even make sense for a Mage to have a melee option and carry a staff anyway. Weapons aren't tied to classes in this game.

Another edit: I wonder if there is a possibility to have augments that make a staff's attacks appear to be melee-range magical attacks for those of us who are Mages and want a staff option?

That could very well be a thing and to be honest I hope so, for me being a mage means using my staff to create powerful spell or at least be able to attack from a distance. Having an augment to add a range spell to the basic attack seems like a great idea!
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    (The potion launcher is not confirmed to be in the MMORPG as it was in Apocalypse, and it's debatable whether it would count as a mundane or magical ranged weapon even if it was.)

No. potion launchers were handheld weapons that you could use to attack other players in the Apocalypse test they did (it was a Battle Royale game, like Fortnite). Last I knew it didn't seem like they were going to be in the actual MMORPG but there was no confirmation either way.

Interesting, and there is zero info about it except that it's a "weapon" and there is a photo of one.

It's not listed on either the ranged or melee weapons pages. Just the main weapons page. If it's a ranged weapon that's pretty neat. I like the idea of having another option.

I never saw a scepter in Alpha 1, I only saw orbs, wands, and books. (And I never got a chance to use an orb, just a wand and a book. And I didn't care for the spellbook, it was too slow.)

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited December 2021
    It would be cool if we could configure the stave to be either a ranged weapon (with maybe some intellect prereq) or melee. If I want to use a jo I don't want it to fling fireballs.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    If I want to use a jo I don't want it to fling fireballs.

Would that make it a...
    giphy.gif
    ...sloppy jo?

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    bwhahahahahaha!
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options

No. potion launchers were handheld weapons that you could use to attack other players in the Apocalypse test they did (it was a Battle Royale game, like Fortnite). Last I knew it didn't seem like they were going to be in the actual MMORPG but there was no confirmation either way.

Interesting, and there is zero info about it except that it's a "weapon" and there is a photo of one.

It's not listed on either the ranged or melee weapons pages. Just the main weapons page. If it's a ranged weapon that's pretty neat. I like the idea of having another option.

I never saw a scepter in Alpha 1, I only saw orbs, wands, and books. (And I never got a chance to use an orb, just a wand and a book. And I didn't care for the spellbook, it was too slow.)

Scepters were in APOC, but I don't remember coming across orbs in APOC... I'm sure all of these weapons are subject to change.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    @Atama It was leaked in the BCG interview with Steven if I remember correctly that the potion launcher was going to be the concept for the boat cannons. Loading it with different potions for different effects.
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited December 2021
    Im expecting the staff to be the magic damage focused melee weapon, but with some sort of talent upgrades that let you fire off ranged magic? Something like: every 4th attack is a beam of magic that deals aoe damage in the direction you are facing. They could even have talent choices that completely convert it into a ranged weapon, or focus more on being melee. Imagine summoning a magical sword with sweeping magical attacks and fighting people off with a sword and staff like Gandalf.

MpUgKPeJ-ETIcLqfJ2Dbxq7lI-S0DwLWT2BieQZySHCw4-iPlyD8t82dNkL20uPYEw91i9m462i9uz_PktzMSUkpfG-SQ_hknw39q6Adem_xtqnnThogJ0t6fH1crdooA0UHl4fF-6xIThB94P4JpptGHws
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    @Atama It was leaked in the BCG interview with Steven if I remember correctly that the potion launcher was going to be the concept for the boat cannons. Loading it with different potions for different effects.

That is interesting. And it makes sense; historically ships would hurl Greek Fire at each other prior to having cannons so it’s not even that far-fetched. I can see the possibilities too, where ships can swap out different potions for different effects.

I think that’s a much better use for the weapon than as a personal firearm like we had before.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    edited December 2021

That is interesting. And it makes sense; historically ships would hurl Greek Fire at each other prior to having cannons so it’s not even that far-fetched. I can see the possibilities too, where ships can swap out different potions for different effects.

I think that’s a much better use for the weapon than as a personal firearm like we had before.

Yeah I like that it will add a large branch to crafting that will be constantly used
  • Options
    If melee staff was good for Gandalf then it is good for me
    bIHC1BW.gif
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options

Yeah I like that it will add a large branch to crafting that will be constantly used

Staves are also large branches.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2021
    Dolyem wrote: »
    bIHC1BW.gif

uh.. I don't thinking Gandalf is fighting with intent to kill here.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    Denethor didn’t need to be killed just then, doesnt mean a staff couldn’t be used to kill.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »
    Dolyem wrote: »
    bIHC1BW.gif

uh.. I don't thinking Gandalf is fighting with intent to kill here.

Pardon me but that orc would like to hear your argument, oh wait its dead.

3vE3CUj.gif
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    I’d love to see a mage that can choose melee staff or ranged staff… ive always wanted to play a melee oriented battle mage, bo staff = awesome.
    The crows seemed to becalling his name, thought Caw.
    - Deep thoughts by Jack Handey
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Unless something has changed, last i checked, we have slots for melee weapons and a range weapon. My understanding is staff would be a common mage pick for there melee slot while you range slot will most likely be a book, orb, or wand.

Do the people arguing for staff to be a range weapon understand this? Do you understand that as a mage, you will have a range weapon, it just wont be a staff and would rather the staff be moved to the ranged slot?
    If it is, what would you want mages to have in their melee slots?

**i know that any class can use any weapons but as we saw in the alpha, at least the default versions of weapons will most likely cater to a damage type/stat.
  • Options
    I will probably have a wand or orb on my Mage, and then maybe like a giant two-handed hammer for melee, for those "Son you done pissed me off!" moments.

Hhak63P.png