Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Alpha and Beta Price

Hello,

I really like to buy it, but the Price is much too high for a Sandbox.
I cant afford this. Please make it cheaper.

-Matt

Comments

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    https://www.amazon.com/CREATIVE-CEDAR-DESIGNS-Octagon-Sandbox/dp/B01N17VPOR

You are right! We are getting screwed!!!!!

Jokes aside.

I think the price is high as a barrier to entry. To make sure that only the most enthusiastic testers see the game in the early state. Not because it's so amazing, but because it's actually a true Alpha. Which means some things are far from amazing.

If it was cheaper, you would have a lot of people participating. You would also have a lot of people who did not take their word that the game is a true Alpha wanting their money back and spreading bad publicity.

I don't think I have met anyone on the test server who thinks the game is ready for the general public. They set the price high to make you think about if testing at such an early stage is something you really want to do.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would not look at it as a price for testing but supporting the game, if the price was lowered then you would have people who do not really understand why this or that is not yet in the game or looks unpolished and would go around giving bad publicity due to ignorance, not a great look to either party.

Honestly testing feels more like a job than an enjoyable experience due to the myriad of bugs plaguing the game in the early stages such as alpha, unfortunately a lot of early access games these days on steam advertise as ''alpha" when their state is much closer to a beta.
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I see this brought up a lot, and I'm curious, what would be a price you would find adequate?

You realize you aren't "buying a game", you're essentially donating money to a company to fund their product and they are extending you a "favor" by proving you with the opportunity to poke around in their testing environment.

Paying for Alpha/Beta is alot like donating money to build a new Art Museum, and after donating that money, you are invited to tour the construction process from time to time. You don't start selling tickets to entry for the general public while you're still putting in the walls of the museum.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited December 2021
    bashler wrote: »
    Hello,

I really like to buy it, but the Price is much too high for a Sandbox.
    I cant afford this. Please make it cheaper.

-Matt
    It’s not a sandbox. I have no idea where you got that idea from. There will be some sandbox-like elements but it’s pretty far from that.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    The price is based on the price for the Kickstarter campaign, and the pledges made back then for the game. They are trying to be fair to the original backers. If someone paid $500 and was told they would get this and then you pay $20 and get the same benefits, what does that say about the company and its ethics. Steven has told people all the time that you don't need to preorder the game and you can wait till its released and then try it. They aren't even charging a boxed price. So, you spend $15 for a month and the game is not for you, you are only out that $15..

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1791529601/ashes-of-creation-new-mmorpg-by-intrepid-studios
  • Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah this discussion is about 5 years too late
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Can we let posts like this just go away from the first page?
  • Options
    lmaoo
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited December 2021
    Can we let posts like this just go away from the first page?

Just wait until launch ... when the Forums is plagued with multiple front page threads like:

"The price is too high."

"I don't like the character animations."

"Please change the payment model to something else."
  • Options
    Ok... I did it...it got bumped...but, I just wanted to say that the "price" is not the "game price" and the hook for me was Name Reservation, so either I got snookered or I'm really going to be glad this was offered as a perk for helping assist the game along its path.
  • Options
    CCC_HANCCC_HAN Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In my opinion, the price is moderate, especially for the stuff you get.
    Let´s break it down.

Alpha 2 - 375.-
    9 months of game time ($135 value)
    $125 in Embers (in-game marketplace credits, NO P2W!)
    Access to Alpha 2 - until release (That´s also "playtime")
    "OG" Skins - Value 115.-
    "Access" to upcomming alpha cashshop skins. (Ofc you need to buy them)
    Name Reservation

So overall the package itsself seems to be expensive because you buy it one move, but overall it isn´t.

n9p8t51wojzr.gif