Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Character creation

Not sure how far in AOC is in their character creator, from what I seen it was very underwhelming, granted it was an early build so nothing to go off really. Anyways, I've looked into character creation using unreal engine 5 and this one guy was able to create a really good one that's arguably better than the one in metahuman creator. Was hoping Devs could look into it and see if they can take something from it assuming they're still not far into character creation, also what are you guys opinion on it?

https://youtu.be/uWbQ0NCzomk

Comments

• Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like the ending with his derp-face generator :D

But yeah, let's hope that stand-alone character creator they are working on is as powerful. I don't know if you know the character creator in Black Desert Online, but they've said they want something even better than that. It also has a direct face-morphing feature.
  • Options
    SamsonSamson Member
    edited December 2021
    @234Graph Taken from the AoC Wiki: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Character_creator

The character creator (or character customization screen) allows players to define the look of their character in Ashes of Creation.[4]

We're gonna have a wide array of character customization.[5] – Steven Sharif

The goal is to have a character creator that is on par with if not much better than what BDO provided.[6]

If I had to give a comparison, I would use BDO as an example of what our Character Creation is going for.[7] – Steven Sharif

A character's voice may be able to be selected from preset options.[8]

There is a chance that the character creator will be released early.[6][9]
    Gaul_Gaul_ Member
    edited December 2021
    234Graph wrote: »
    Not sure how far in AOC is in their character creator

During the last dev livestream, Steven said that they may have a character customization showcase for the January or February livestream. Looking forward to it!

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The move to UE5 makes me think the Meta Human creator is on the table. I really hope that is the case.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    The move to UE5 makes me think the Meta Human creator is on the table. I really hope that is the case.

Yeah it sounds very likely. I wonder how long they've known about this in UE5 before the rest of us plebs without direct connections to Epic, and how long they've known they would use this upcoming tech. :)
  • Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nerror wrote: »
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

Yeah it sounds very likely. I wonder how long they've known about this in UE5 before the rest of us plebs without direct connections to Epic, and how long they've known they would use this upcoming tech. :)

Well Steven said last stream they've been evaluating ue5 since last year I believe. I'm assuming they'd know of the tech or there wouldn't be much to evaluate :P
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    234Graph wrote: »
    Not sure how far in AOC is in their character creator, from what I seen it was very underwhelming, granted it was an early build so nothing to go off really.

We haven't seen any character creator yet. The most you got to do was pick from one of 3 races, then one of three heads and one of three hairstyles.

I'm expecting a very robust one when it comes out, but we literally haven't seen anything yet.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Total Realism. We will take selfies on our smart phone and upload our own image into our characters. Alternatively, we will use images of celebrities and pretend we are just as attractive.
  • Options
    As long as it has Black Deserts level of character customization I will be happy
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Rhel wrote: »
    As long as it has Black Deserts level of character customization I will be happy
    That character creator was one of the inspirations for this dev team, it should be at least equivalent.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As long as I can make my Tulnar look like a beefy dragonborn I'm fine with whatever.
  • Options
    E942E942 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I have an Idea, so that we culd take our time making the charracter, If we culd choose the characters name before creating the charracter. Then it becomes easier if you want to make a RP charracter, because you usually have an idea how the charracter will look depending on the name.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The character creator will be released before launch, so there will be plenty of time to decide how you wish your character(s) to look.
  • Options
    Lord_MarshalLord_Marshal Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    Boanergese wrote: »
    Total Realism. We will take selfies on our smart phone and upload our own image into our characters.

I don't want my character to be that ugly!