Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Alt-friendliness and possible suggestions?

So, not sure if this has really been addressed, but how alt-friendly will Ashes of Creation be necessarily? (Sorry, story time! Feel free to skip) I'm a former world of warcraft player and a devout roleplayer, and in WoW it wasn't too hard to have alts, up until recent development. As a RPer I had a plethora of characters each with different classes, professions, and designs. I could accomplish this with relative ease as not too much of the progression was locked into a singular character. Recently WoW fell apart and I tried jumping ship to FFXIV. However, I found FFXIV to be... not very friendly when it came to alt characters and that's what really killed me progressing in that game.

I like having multiple characters mainly for roleplay reasons and the fact I like trying out different combative styles without having to have multiple sets of gear on the same character. So my question repeats in how alt-friendly will Ashes of Creation be?

I'm going to go ahead and ramble off a suggestion before an answer is had lol. Some sort of opt-in/opt-out system where one might share progression (And belongings) with a designated 'main' character. What I mean by this is things like reputations, housing, etc. all can be shared by your characters across the account. However, you would still level and acquire skills and gear separately, but maybe have a same home base so to speak and that I wouldn't have to mindlessly grind (I don't mind if grind is fun, but most grinds aren't, hence why they're called grinds, In my opinion lol) to get on the same level as my main character. An example of this is the covenant's system in World of Warcraft, it is (Or was, not sure if they shared progression across characters or not in recent updates) a horrible system in the sense it kind of restricts the presence of alt characters. You have to grind the same system on multiple characters, rather then have a shared progression of the same system across these characters.

Sorry, I know this is getting long but ill wrap it up, and most of these issues could already be addressed and I just didnt see it, but bare with me please lol. So, think of housing in Ashes of Creation, right? It's going to be a lot of work to get a house in the first place and get it nice and pretty, and of course I believe there is a renting system in place where if you dont pay it you lose the house or something (But not the actual stuff you put into it)? Now imagine that you just want to play an alt character, and you decide to 'main' this alt for awhile only to come back to your actual main a month or so later and you've lost the house because you missed out on the rent. Well, now take the same scenario, but say you can tie that house in together across all your characters, so while playing your alt you can earn the money or resources needed to keep paying the rent and basically share the house with your other characters! See now what I mean by alt-friendliness? Just giving the ability to freely swap between characters without worrying too much about losing on anything whether it be progression, or in game property. I am really looking forward to this game, but if I'm basically restricted to one character because there is a long and tedious grind if I want to play other characters, I might have to pass on it like FFXIV.

I should also note I love PvP in addition to RP content, so making it where I can easily swap PvP playstyles by swapping characters without losing any progression (Other than things like actual character levels, PvP Currency, etc.) would be nice. Heck even just having shared currencies between your characters would be pretty neat, kind of like Diablo 3.

So, again, I repeat for the millionth time (Sorry lol), how alt-friendly will this game be? And to potential and actual players, what are your thoughts on this? Thank you very much for reading! : )

Comments

• Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hi The_winterwolf

The short answer to your question is we don't know exactly.

The devs are definitely aware of how many people plan to play alts, but at the same time they want to avoid a situation where a single person can achieve everything they want just with alts, which goes against the spirit of the game.

So, we'll have to wait and see what happens. I'm going to close this thread now but if you have any other questions please feel free to reach out again.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
This discussion has been closed.