[Website] The Ashes of Creation website will be down for scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at 7:00 a.m. Pacific.

Estimated downtime is 4 hours. During this time, the shop and account login page will be inaccessible. We'll notify you upon completion.
Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Combat & Animation in PvE and PvP

Hi People from Ashes :smile:

since i saw the Video from the Unreal Engine 5, Ashes of Creation looks literally insane, i Love it the Graphics are so sick! Good Job Steven & the Ashes Team :smiley:

I know the Combat System is still a placeholder, but i wanted to mention something maybe the Team behind Ashes can think about that.

1. Character Movement, Animation:
- I think it says for itself, the Movement doesnt look smooth and pretty Static.
- It would be really nice, when for example the Character when he walks, reacts with the Terrain he is walking on.
- Or when it Snows, and your Character stays that the Snow, it lands on your Characters Armor or Head, and when you start walking that the snow is falling down from your Characters shoulders or Head.
- The Animations and Skills are also a important part of the Combat to see a fluent and nice gameplay that the Players enjoy.
There are some Games that have really good Animations while in or Out of Combat: Lost Ark (Played), Blade and Soul (Played), Black Dessert (Didnt Played), even the Skills look really insane so everytime you use a Skill you literally enjoy it a lot. I mean they look insane and also didnt even Run on Unreal Engine 5.

This Video is just an Example, min: 03:25
https://youtu.be/9UCFaITrl8Q

I hope we can have simliar or even better Animations in Ashes! :blush:

2. Combat System

I Know that we will have something with Tab Targeting and Action Combat. But to be Honest, so far the BEST Combat System with a soft target system was in Blade and Soul, if you were close enough the system softlocked the closest enemy in front of you.

Another thing is, and i also never saw it in any Ashes Videos since all combats ive seen, there is no way to Block, or Counter a Skill from another Player or Mob.

For example in Blade and Soul when you fought a Blade Master, and he Started to use his Block Skill, he holds his Sword in front of him, and you were not able to hit him from Front, you needed to attack him from the side or get behind him to hit him, or use a skill to crack his block skill to do any damage.

In Blade and Soul it was also possible to "Counter" a Skill, for Example when you played a Kung Fu Master, and Blocked at the right time. Or when you get Dashed or Sprinted on, the softlock appeared and you were able to Q or E to make a sidestep to counter the dash or sprint.

to be able to block or Counter, was a way for Players to really think "when" and "if" you attack a Player, and to use skills the right time, instead of Tab targeting and roll with his face over his Keyboard and just spam skills.

It was a important Mechanic in PvP and PvE to Survive.

Example Video: Blocking, Counter, Side Step, Skill animations, Soft Lock Target
https://youtu.be/hsNcyELjYbE

What do you guys think about that? Am i right that there is no way to block or Counter etc? Let me know your Brainstorming :smile:

Kind Regards
Feel Free to Follow my Twitch Channel :)
www.Twitch.tv/ShreddedFPS

Comments

• AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @sylarr

Animations are likely to shift later in development than they are now.

Active blocking is under consideration, we don't know anything else about it. Parry and counter skills have been offhandedly mentioned at different times.

Have a look around for any of the other many threads with brainstorming or discussion of Combat, and jump on in?

Data is recorded...
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• DevilsecretDevilsecret Member
    edited January 2022
    ;
  • Azherae wrote: »
    @sylarr

Animations are likely to shift later in development than they are now.

Active blocking is under consideration, we don't know anything else about it. Parry and counter skills have been offhandedly mentioned at different times.

Have a look around for any of the other many threads with brainstorming or discussion of Combat, and jump on in?

Data is recorded...

Ah cool, good to hear that blocking is under consideration :smiley: thanks for your answer :blush:
    Feel Free to Follow my Twitch Channel :)
  • LafiLafi Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    it's looking like the combat system is going to be much closer to GW2/Archeage than BDO/B&S
    which imo is the better choice anyway, fighter-style combat systems have never felt like they work too well at PvX.
    they're great fun for PvP though.
    But PvX game so yeah.
    Twitch.tv/Lafidell
  • Much of the player base understands your concern, but development is not at that stage yet. My suggestion would be to do a forum search and see the many other threads where animation has been talked about, and how stages of development work.

It’s important for people to not only watch the videos and live streams, but dig through the forum posts and AoC discord where stuff like this is regularly discussed, prior to creating a thread about a topic - cause the animations topic pops up very often on both. Analyzing combat animations at the stage of development the game is in is almost akin to asking why raw ingredients don’t taste like a cooked dish.

This is unfortunately a risk that developers take even showing the game to the public this early as early as they chose to, but the benefits outweigh the negatives. This is an not only a professional dev team, but an extremely passionate one - you can rest assured that they aren’t going to allow character animations to go unaddressed.
  • LafiLafi Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Barrakus wrote: »
    Analyzing combat animations at the stage of development the game is in is almost akin to asking why raw ingredients don’t taste like a cooked dish.

what a great idiom... 9/10 master oogway would be proud
    Twitch.tv/Lafidell
  • We promise the game will get better. It's still in an Alpha stage. Alpha 2 has not been released yet. By Beta 2 everyone's worries should go away. As they said in the Matrix, "have a cookie, you'll feel better".

true?v=v2&px=999