Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ring of voice emotions.

So idea to make ring of voice emotions based on ur race, class, religion, guild to make world more interactive. Ur run near cliric and he cry something "For the glory of seven, help me! " Or rogue ganging u with words "nothing personal, just business" And etc. And with some achievements u will have new replics...

Comments

• Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If a game is going to do voices, they need to do it well, or it's just corny and hokey.

So they will need to hire voice actors. Voice actors cost money. Money that could be better suited to be put somewhere else that would create a richer world, not a louder one.

I don't see this as a positive addition.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    If they pull everything else off, they can add voice in later patches of the game. And purely if they want to. It just doesnt matter as much as the quality of the games mechanics. Voice acting is just a nice shiny polish
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Karthos wrote: »
    If a game is going to do voices, they need to do it well, or it's just corny and hokey.

So they will need to hire voice actors. Voice actors cost money. Money that could be better suited to be put somewhere else that would create a richer world, not a louder one.

I don't see this as a positive addition.

We talk about perfect rpg)) here we just talk what we want, without thinks about money and time lines.
    And voice replic is one of the good ways of not p2w monetisation.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I don't see adding voice acting to characters to be a viable way to make a profit. I also don't see Steven adding it to the game when players can just turn the game sounds off.
  • Options
    They have this concept in Insurgency. I think on paper it’s an ok idea. Practically, players just spam the comms until it becomes noise, and like VOIP just gets turned off.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    We already know that voice acting isn't gonna be a big thing in Ashes apart from a few lines here and there so don't get your hopes up.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    But it can have some restrictions, in nodes for example, and something like 3 times in 2 mins... I shure good voices will breather life in world and chars.
  • Options
    Podgnil wrote: »
    But it can have some restrictions, in nodes for example, and something like 3 times in 2 mins... I shure good voices will breather life in world and chars.

I totally agree with what you’re going for here - I just think it will be abused any become an annoyance, not a feature.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2022
    Voice lines nah. Grunts and combatish sounds, required.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    JustVine wrote: »
    Voice lines nah. Grunts and combatish sounds, required.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Just guttural sounds, like a battle cry or scream of pain.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Hm… I may gain corruption from killing the scrub spamming the ‘ugh’ sound.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Hm… I may gain corruption from killing the scrub spamming the ‘ugh’ sound.

Such is life.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    JustVine wrote: »
    Such is life.

Ugh.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    I don't see adding voice acting to characters to be a viable way to make a profit.

Now that's the spirit!
  • Options
    The problem I see is that you will get tired of hearing the catch phrase after 100 times. I am for immersion, but I would rather the NPC say lines as they are giving quests or telling a meaningful story. I did like the cinematics in World of Warcraft, but you would need to hire good voice actors and have well written stories. Not saying they can't spend the money and resources doing it, but I would rather have them finish everything else that is on the "wall of crazy" rather than them add to the list.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Spurius wrote: »
    I don't see adding voice acting to characters to be a viable way to make a profit.

Now that's the spirit!

Quality voice acting costs literal millions.

Quality character skins cost tens of thousands.

Players are - in general - more likely to spend more money on a skin than on a voice pack.

You do the math.
  • Options
    Star Wars: The Old Republic spent a fortune on voice acting. I enjoyed that game for a while but honestly you spend 90% of the time skipping dialog to get back to the game. It could have been better used elsewhere.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    SWToR was a great single player RPG with some strangers running around in the background.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Get Patrick Stewart in to record a voice pack, and I'm THERE!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    SpuriusSpurius Member
    edited January 2022
    I also don't see Steven adding it to the game when players can just turn the game sounds off.

True. I think all sounds are overrated. There is no point in adding them, since players can just turn them off. Best games I've ever played never had any sounds at all.
    Quality voice acting costs literal millions.

True again! "Nothing personal, just business". This must be like... at least 4 million dollars to record.
    Players are - in general - more likely to spend more money on a skin than on a voice pack.

Noaani, good job. They call it the golden rule of game-making. If you are not sure weather to add something into the game or not, ask yourself: "If we were to make it a paid feature, would it be as successful of a monetary investment as some other paid features?".

I have no more sarcasm left in me. I'll go eat some potatoes now.
  • Options
    I like the idea BTW.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Getting back to SWTOR, 10 years ago they got the world record for amount of voice acting.

https://www.pcgamer.com/star-wars-the-old-republic-scoops-guinness-world-record-for-voice-acting/

I don't think they ever published any real numbers for their budget for either the game as a whole or voice acting in particular, but estimates are that it cost them about $200 million to make and about 1/3 of that spent on voice acting. So about $65 million.

In 2019 they reported that they'd made about a billion dollars in total revenue since release, so clearly it wasn't a waste. But that game needed it, because it was an attempt to turn KotOR into an MMORPG. And KotOR wouldn't be the same game without the voice acting, which made it as much a cinematic experience as anything else.

Ashes of Creation isn't seeking to be that kind of game, of course.

Hhak63P.png