Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Should opening up new regions also permit server population increases?

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Logistics aside, a low population server is often not as enjoyable as one that is thriving with a large active community.

Should lands expand in future updates there is a likely associated increased population dispersement so was wondering if permitting regional limits but increasing overall limit might be a way to go.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited January 2022
    Something would need to be done, but increasing the population limit is only any good if new players are coming in and staying.

I honestly have no idea how Intrepid could do major expansions in this game.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm pretty sure Noaani is right, we are getting the whole world, as far as size goes, at release. While there will be periodic 'expansions,' they will be expansions of game systems, not territory, I think. Other games expanded territory to keep the game fresh.

But AoC doesn't need to expand territory to keep the game fresh because every time a node levels up, we get new content. Every time a large node gets eliminated and the next node over levels up, the next node over is a different type and the dungeons will change, mobs will change. Every time the seasons change, mobs and dungeons will change differently than when the prior node controlled that territory. The world itself is ever changing.

What causes it to change? Us, the players. If we band together and take down a military node so the divine node next door grows (and it is up to us to make it grow), we get new content. If we establish new trade routes, different predominant religions, different species of pets, higher level bounty hunter guilds, different crafting professions, even different tavern recipes....the world changes and remixes differently. We level up a new type of metropolis, we get new content. We level up different combinations of metropoli, we get new content. Really quite brilliant.
  • Options
    I think the most likely way for Intrepud to add new content to the game (they will need to add new content before long), would be to do one of three things.

Either increase the impact religion and costal organizations have in the game (make them influence content similar to how node type does), add new node types, or add new node tiers.

The only other thing I can see them doing is adding new land that falls outside of the node system, but I don't like the sound of that at all.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sure, if it makes sense to do so. With UE5, we can now have a bigger world, and if they decide to expand that world with actual node space people can move into, it makes sense to increase population.

Alternately they can expand the world with, for example, a corrupted area where no nodes can be placed, but one that is full of big nasty ancients to kill and fight over for loot and profit. In that case a population expansion is not necessary. It doesn't even have to be on Verra. It can be on a different plane of existence, where the Heroes of Verra portal in to smite the foes threatening Verra.
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »
    Sure, if it makes sense to do so. With UE5, we can now have a bigger world, and if they decide to expand that world with actual node space people can move into, it makes sense to increase population.

Alternately they can expand the world with, for example, a corrupted area where no nodes can be placed, but one that is full of big nasty ancients to kill and fight over for loot and profit. In that case a population expansion is not necessary. It doesn't even have to be on Verra. It can be on a different plane of existence, where the Heroes of Verra portal in to smite the foes threatening Verra.

I could go for an expansion in to a corrupted area. That gives a plausible reason as to why players aren't building cities there.
  • Options
    They could always use the old tactic of "discovering" a way to reach a moon (how many do they have?).

I really hope they avoid the NW pitfall of opening a bunch of servers and then contracting them back down. I think the subscription model will help with that since no free account keys will flood the game/population (I hope).
  • Options
    It's difficult to talk about what Intrepid should do during expansions years before the game is even released. Who knows what server pop will be like, what an acceptable and optimal pop will be, or what the "expansions" will even bring.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2022
    Maybe instead of building outward, they build downward? Expand the Underrealm. Basically, dig down. We already know it's going to be a thing, going back to Kickstarter. It's the home of the Tulnar but it can also be a way to expand without changing the surface world.

I don't know how or even if the Underrealm should be subject to node changes. Maybe it's an opportunity to have a sort of static themepark? Or go the opposite route; have it routinely change in random ways (say it's an effect of Corruption), much as a Roguelike game will change on each playthrough (think of the Diablo games).

Just spitballing, a random Underrealm might be too difficult to do, but I still say that expanding down in some way should absolutely be an option if they want to make the world bigger.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    No.

Because the original content is designed for a concurrent population of 10,000.

Unless you modify that original content, you shouldn't increase the concurrent pop cap.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Divine Gateways could take us to new worlds.
    I would prefer to see new content in the same old areas, though.

Might there be new content that would inspire us to leave our comfortable homes?
  • Options
    Maybe we take the fight to The Ancients, and use their own harbinger gateways against them!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    This is so far into the future...the game hasn't even released yet.
    "Suffer in silence"
  • Options
    Sylvanar wrote: »
    This is so far into the future...the game hasn't even released yet.

ALL ABOOOOOOAAAARD!!!

giphy.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/