Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Travel haxx

I can't find anything on the wiki about respawning. Suicide yourself of a cliff/mob/whatever and take the penalty for ress but no flag. Get to the nearest location. less time (duh) and risk (ganks)
How does it work in ashes?
Please explain 😘

Much love ♥️

Comments

• Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Only the truly idiotic will be suiciding to travel faster. Enjoy.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_death
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In Alpha 1 there were nearby respawn points after death, but if I remember correctly dying in the same area could send you to different respawn points somewhat randomly. Of course, it may not work this way after release.

Given the severity of experience loss and materials drops on death, it would seem unusual for someone to want to save a few minutes in travel time at the cost of (perhaps) a few hours or experience.
  • Options
    Forgot the experience loss on death penalty. Calm now.
    Thank you 💖 unknownsystemerror and tautau. Much love 😻
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2022
    Sunboy wrote: »
    Forgot the experience loss on death penalty. Calm now.
    Thank you 💖 unknownsystemerror and tautau. Much love 😻

Death will be harsh, especially if you’re not dying as a combatant against another player.

One of the goals of this game is to make death sting. The concept of suicide as a viable fast travel method is one of the inevitable consequences of removing real death penalties from other games in an attempt to reduce player frustration. In Ashes you’re very much not going to want to die, which also means you’ll face meaningful choices when determining risk. It will also mean you’ll feel a greater sense of danger from threats both in the environment and from other players. It will be painful at times but that sense of danger can also be a major thrill.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    In World of Warcraft, it was sometimes faster to die to get back to the front of the raid because of the design of the raid. I think Ashes is going to be a different type of game. I don't think there is going to be a hearthstone or mage portal. Travel will be slower across the world. The exception could be the science metropolis especially if there are two in the world. Then there will be an airship available for travel.