Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Action Targeting Can't Include Bows & Arrows, Right?

Because of the hitboxes, correct?

Apoc seemed to include this, but the character model selections were very limited. The Orc races are supposed to be "significantly" taller than the tallest of the next-tallest race, once the game launches. Doesn't this mean that any Action abilities have to be limited to things like AoE and Cone attacks?

Otherwise, there'd be an inherent advantage to having the smallest character possible - for the smallest vertical hitbox. Or am I overlooking something?

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited January 2022
    Eso had action target and bows. What's the issue?
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2022
    If I remember right, ESO's races were all fairly close in size. So that helps if true, it's been awhile though, don't remember.

But yeah that's kind of the conundrum of SKILL based action combat in mmo's with diverse races and character creators where you can further refine how big or small your character is. In the typical MMO action combat where near everything is an aoe, and there's some kind of soft target lock system, it doesn't matter as much.

Apex Legends ran into the problem with their fat characters and skinny characters. They had to make their fat characters take less damage bullet for bullet to balance it out. And the harder to hit skinny characters took a bit more damage bullet for bullet.

Edit: It does matter though, even in strictly tab target games. Smaller characters are almost always better. Visually you attract less attention. And a highly skilled tab target player only uses tab to target situationally. In many cases of high level play in tab target, you have to manually click the enemy player to target them efficiently and quickly. Harder to do against smaller characters.

At the end of the day, how much it all really matters is debatable. But if you're looking for every advantage you can get, you go small.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Okeydoke wrote: »
    But yeah that's kind of the conundrum of SKILL based action combat in mmo's with diverse races and character creators where you can further refine how big or small your character is. In the typical MMO action combat where near everything is an aoe, and there's some kind of soft target lock system, it doesn't matter as much.

There is a middle ground between a tab target combat game and a true first-person shooter experience.

Just make there be a consistent area that if you put your targeting reticle over it, you are aiming. That doesn't remove skill from the equation; you can still use cover, you can still dodge out of the way. Jeffrey Bard suggested that might be the way they are going.

"More than likely we'll have some sort of unified or unified-ish hitbox. But again it's going to probably have a unified hitbox with some exceptions or some special sort of collision rules based on them as opposed to kind of just making it smaller for one and not the other."

We know we're not going to have hit location as a factor, where you get critical strikes from headshots. That was never how action combat was advertised. Steven ruled that out some time back.

"We don't have separate types of hitbox categories, for example. There's no head hit box in the MMORPG like there was in APOC. So from a critical standpoint you're not going to see a greater risk of critting for a larger hitbox."

As for how they would do it, I say you figure out the maximum possible dimensions from character creation in all directions (height, width, depth) and apply that to every character. That might mean you can aim above a character's head and hit them but so what. This isn't Counter-Strike and was never meant to be.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah there's ways to mitigate the issue, like a unified hitbox. Certain advantages will still remain, but done right it can be mitigated down to near inconsequential.
  • Options
    Hm… I hope archery is action. We can just aim better. 🤪
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »

You'll find a lot of people disagreeing with this, for some reason, the idea of trying hurts their heads... "This isn't an FPS, I shouldn't have to aim my magic or bow! :'("
  • Options
    Merek wrote: »

You'll find a lot of people disagreeing with this, for some reason, the idea of trying hurts their heads... "This isn't an FPS, I shouldn't have to aim my magic or bow! :'("

That’s ok. Let them disagree.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    gonna join the "please don't make this thing an FPS" team here.
  • Options
    Just to be clear…

This isn’t an FPS, just as it isn’t a flight simulator or a reskinned Candy Crush. For those who think it’s an FPS, read the dev quotes again.

Action combat will, however, require you to point at the thing you want to attack. You’re not aiming like a game of Halo but you’re not targeting by hitting the tab key until you focus on your desired enemy before spamming the attack key. It’s in-between.

Examples of action combat games that might be comparable (that you can try out now, for free) would be Neverwinter Online and Secret World Legends. (I use these as examples because I’ve played both extensively.)

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    Just to be clear…

This isn’t an FPS, just as it isn’t a flight simulator or a reskinned Candy Crush. For those who think it’s an FPS, read the dev quotes again.

Action combat will, however, require you to point at the thing you want to attack. You’re not aiming like a game of Halo but you’re not targeting by hitting the tab key until you focus on your desired enemy before spamming the attack key. It’s in-between.

Examples of action combat games that might be comparable (that you can try out now, for free) would be Neverwinter Online and Secret World Legends. (I use these as examples because I’ve played both extensively.)

I was hoping more in line with New World, but at least you understand it doesn't mean high-fantasy Call of Duty. For some reason people have a volatile reaction to the word 'aim' or 'manual targeting' in the MMO crowd.
  • Options
    As long as we don't have to suffer through animation locking in this game I don't care what they come up with.

Animation locking destroys a players sense of control and hurts skill, it doesn't matter how quick you are at reacting to things if you have started an attack that is locked until the animation is over you're dead.
  • Options
    @Atama Aye - had seen the quote about the head-hitbox thing before, and found that to be quite agree-able.

I mean, if they find a way to make a more-unified hitbox, then that's ideal for allowing single-target Action-combat targeting. It's just hard for me to imagine the largest and smallest characters possible both having the same vertical hitbox; Wouldn't you have to be able to hit the shortest-possible dwarf by technically shooting an arrow over their head?

In such a case, wouldn't you have to aim lower to hit the absolute tallest character, while a direct "headshot" would then be a miss?

Not bagging on Action-combat - yours truly does like the idea - it just seems to me like it should be relegated to cone-and-area attacks on a group of targets, rather than a 1v1 attack like with a bow. That very much falls towards a FPS type of gameplay.

• Options
    McShaveMcShave Member
    edited January 2022
    I think it would save Intrepid a lot of headache if they went with the GW2 action targeting method where you mouse over them and the attacks hit that target every time. The targeting will be effective until they get far enough from your cursor
  • Options
    I honestly can’t remember GW2’s combat, but I like Neverwinter’s bow attacks which are similar to what your describing. I think aiming at a mob is good. Not sure it has to be the draw and release as in ES or MO2, though I do like that play style. The trick would be balancing against a melee swing timer.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    I mean, if they find a way to make a more-unified hitbox, then that's ideal for allowing single-target Action-combat targeting. It's just hard for me to imagine the largest and smallest characters possible both having the same vertical hitbox; Wouldn't you have to be able to hit the shortest-possible dwarf by technically shooting an arrow over their head?

In such a case, wouldn't you have to aim lower to hit the absolute tallest character, while a direct "headshot" would then be a miss?
    I addressed both of those things. Yes you can shoot a dwarf by aiming above their head. Who cares? It's not a first-person shooter where you are precisely aiming to hit things.

No, you wouldn't miss by doing a headshot on the tallest character. Not if, like I said, you just make the universal hitbox be the largest dimensions characters can be. There are simple ways to make it work. I don't know how Intrepid is going to do it, but it's not that difficult. They're working on something.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Yes you can shoot a dwarf by aiming above their head.

Wait a minute. What dwarf are you shooting at? :o

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    BoanergeseBoanergese Member
    edited January 2022
    Don't worry, in the 20 seconds it takes for you to draw and power up your bow and the additional 20 seconds it takes for you to aim your bow with the 3rd button, I will have already killed your character.
  • Options
    Yes you can shoot a dwarf by aiming above their head.

Wait a minute. What dwarf are you shooting at? :o
    The one standing behind you. That’s right, turn around and look…

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    That's why there is a shield on my back, brother. :D
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options

He wasn't aiming at your back...
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Bwhahahaha! 🤣
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    If they want Action cam and Normal cam to have parity they cannot make the ranged basic attack be Action. They can put it on optional skills on the bow or give the classes action ranged abilities to give the people that want to aim that experience. The basic attack will just not work if it is objectively worse with one Camera mode when the camera modes are not intended to be different.
  • Options

A true ninja would hide in the dirt with their bow and wait for you to walk over you so they could shoot you in the #$@ for a critical shot.
  • Options
    Meh. Ninjas are over-rated.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png