Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Professions/Skills idea

So, I've been keeping an eye on Ashes since about 2019-2020ish (Hard to remember) and I find myself constantly going to the wiki to see if new stuff has been updated in. Particularly, around the various skills one can acquire and level up.

So this got me thinking about something as I read through the myriad of skills. On a single character you can only reach complete mastery on one and progress in the others up to a certain level. This made me somewhat curious on two professions in particular, though my idea will expand to the others, Taming and Animal Husbandry. What is the benefit to picking one over the other in your 1 skill mastery (Pretty sure only 1 skill can be your ultimate mastered skill, I might be misremembering outdated info, but bare with me on this if I'm wrong lol) So Taming is your counterpart to Animal Husbandry, I.E. its how you get the animals so you can breed them and what not. Obviously having taming as your mastery makes it seem like you can just get more exotic beasts that you couldn't normally get, animal husbandry though.. that's where things get interesting. Would it simply just give you the ability to raise flying pets from eggs? Not a bad perk to have, but it also limits what you could get from Taming. Now originally I was thinking, hey maybe we should get 2 mastery skills... but then something else popped into my noggin... Something a bit random...

Skills and the perks associated with them. In the past, in World of Warcraft, professions (at least the gathering ones) offered unique bonuses for leveling them up. For example, mining would grant increased health, skinning granted increased crit stat, and Herbalism gave you an interesting small self heal/haste buff ability. Now... what if we can translate that sort of idea over to the system where each skill grants a little perk that scales with its mastery...

My particular focus was on taming, and more specifically... the combat pets you could get from it! Its stated that combat pets are a horizontal power thing and not vertical, meaning you have to sacrifice some of your power to externalize it in the form of a pet... Well... what if you are a world class master tamer... What if the power you have to sacrifice is... reduced simply because you've chosen Taming as your mastery progression path? Or better yet, you can have multiple combat pets out, with of course the sacrifice to your own power. Taming would essentially let you have a bit more creative freedom with a character and allow a sort of beast master to emerge out of any class pairing that decides they want to be a master tamer?

It doesn't stop there though, think back to the world of warcraft example.. mining could offer things like health boosts or movement speed boosts while underground even!

Maybe Animal Husbandry lets you get a little bit more out of the animals you breed, so mounts you've bred get bonuses when you use them. You raised them, so you would know how to get the most out of them after all! So a combat pet might get more individual power in this regard, or your mount might gain increased speed even, or health or whatever else!

Alchemists could get increased benefit out of their potions and increase their duration when used on themselves.

Ship builders would get bonuses or hell even can apply bonuses to the ship they are on! Or just apply bonuses to a ship they constructed or helped to construct! Faster ship, sturdier hull, more damage!

These are just a few ideas, but you get the concept. Essentially attach some extra perks that scale with your level in these professions! The possibilities are endless and there should be a more noticeable difference in masters of a craft and novices other than what they can make. If you've seen a beginner blacksmith vs a Veteran blacksmith, you can see the differences, and you can see some interesting perks they've picked up along the way (Like being able to handle intense heat a bit better) These are things you get simply by practicing your craft. As such, I believe some perks like these should manifest from the various professions and the growth you achieve through them!

Thanks for reading this rant! Tell me your thoughts on this, good idea, bad idea? What are some suggestions of benefits one might reap from the various professions (As in what add on bonuses might be applied for leveling a profession)

Please be civil and respectful! : )

Comments

• Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited January 2022
    Artisan specialization has already been confirmed in the wiki, @The_Winterwolf.

So, I’m not sure we’re breaking new ground here … even though the Artisan classes have yet to be fully tested in Ashes.

The wiki also confirms there will be no crossover stat boosts from your chosen crafting profession.

Therefore, no health or movement speed bonuses while underground. Which is fair in my opinion. Players would only choose the professions that give combat bonuses … creating an unnecessary meta.

Overall, good ideas. But already planned in some shape or form.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2022
    This made me somewhat curious on two professions in particular, though my idea will expand to the others, Taming and Animal Husbandry. What is the benefit to picking one over the other in your 1 skill mastery

@Taleof2Cities covered the no stat boosts part, but I can quickly go into the mastery part.

The artisan tree has 3 branches:
    1. Gathering, of which Taming is a part
    2. Processing, of which Animal Husbandry is a part
    3. Crafting, basically all of them making finished goods.

You can master more than one skill. You can master every skill within the same branch, but not two skills in different branches. So never Taming and Animal Husbandry at the same time. So you can master mining, herb gathering, wood chopping, fishing and taming on 1 character, as far as we know, and overall be a master gatherer. This will require a LOT of time and effort though.

Or you can master smelting and animal husbandry and whatever other processing skills, and be a master processor. Same goes for crafting.

As for the benefits, it's really all about what you want when you play. If you can no-life the game for a few years, perhaps you can master everything on 3 of your characters (one for each branch). I doubt it's worth the effort, but you do you obviously :wink: