Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Should Parlor Games Be Similar to Real Life Games with a Slight Twist, or Completely New?

GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I think there are two ways to go about making parlor games. One is that you can make a parlor game that resembles a RL game almost exactly and add a slight twist to them. For instance, the Empyrean parlor game can just be chess with different names for the pieces.
The other way is that you develop a bunch of new games that the playerbase isn't familiar with and see how it goes.
I personally like the former, since the rules don't get very convoluted. You have poker for humans, chess for Elves, a drinking game for Dwarves (ESRB rating allowing), and some head butting / arm wrestling for Orcs.
I'd also like the decision the dev's go with to be a surprise at launch. Maybe give us the simplest game to test in the Beta's, but let the community discover the rest upon launch. Will make everyone want to travel to nodes with influence from the least popular races, to try out their parlor game.
bRVL6TR.png

Comments

• Options
    Let's be real, copying irl games is just the better way to do it since you have so many variations to copy from. Of course with it's own twist, but yeah making a fun and original mini game from scratch is pretty hard to do and that's why i would support just copying.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think a little bit of both would be best.

There should be a bunch of real-life games since players can start playing them at once since they already know the rules. Several 'new' games also could be a lot of fun and, if they turn out popular in AoC, then they can roll it out on an app to both make more money and bring in more players!

I would suspect that the higher a tavern levels up, the more games they might be able to offer. Perhaps a higher-level tavern might also have the ability to customize games. For example, if blackjack was a basic game widely offered at standard bets (such as a 1.5 payout for blackjack), if a tavern increased to level 3 perhaps, they could obtain the option to change the payout odds. If there were one tavern on a server paying 2:1 on a blackjack, that would draw more players to that node, helping it grow. Those blackjack players might even be willing to help defend that node in a siege so they could play blackjack there and the better payout wouldn't disappear from the server!
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Lore friendly variants of RL games are cool with me. They don't have to make something like Gwent for it to be good. I am sure there are a lot of really cool card and board games out there already that deserve more attention, if they want to avoid the most well known RL games.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    tautau wrote: »
    I think a little bit of both would be best.

There should be a bunch of real-life games since players can start playing them at once since they already know the rules. Several 'new' games also could be a lot of fun and, if they turn out popular in AoC, then they can roll it out on an app to both make more money and bring in more players!

Exactly what I was going to say. Let's not limit it, we can do both.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2022
    One of the specialties in the Crafting progression, one that we don't know much about yet, is Scribes.

What if one of the abilities that a Scribe could learn would be 'card shark' which might give them a 5% per level advantage in winning games of chance in taverns? It would be a nice skill for any player to have but would be really profitable for a tavern owner to have - really worth levelling up if you have an established tavern in a city or metropolis with lots of orcs and dwarven card games.

Which brings up yet another bad idea. Dwarves, being inherently crafty, might have a racial bonus of 5% on games of chance. Orcs, being renowned for muscles over brains, might get a negative 5% on games of chance.

Edit: And Tulnar, lacking proper fingers, a -10%.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Both
  • Options
    Maybe an Easter egg game called ‘Tic Tac Toast’?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Verran versions of regular games and if they can pull off an original game all the better