Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Pets should do *SOMETHING*. Maybe auto-loot, for you?

In today's live-stream, it was specifically mentioned that pets will be fully-cosmetic. Yours truly understands that some people collect pets in MMOs, but I never have. It just always felt annoying to have a floating/following cosmetic item on the screen that served no purpose.

Even if they don't grant bonuses, couldn't they at least serve as an auto-loot function?

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I personally prefer not.

I would like the option to be the sort of person that has no pets, and not have to be concerned about anything in particular that is core to gameplay, affecting me because of it.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm pretty sure that would fall under pay to win.

I prefer them being purely cosmetic so they aren't required. I don't really like to have them and find it silly that my bdo character is surround by small animals collecting items.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In today's live-stream, it was specifically mentioned that pets will be fully-cosmetic. Yours truly understands that some people collect pets in MMOs, but I never have. It just always felt annoying to have a floating/following cosmetic item on the screen that served no purpose.

Even if they don't grant bonuses, couldn't they at least serve as an auto-loot function?

I think you might have gotten a bit confused. Cosmetic pets are cosmetic only. There will also be combat pets that are available for any archetype, and summoned pets available to the Summoner archetype and potentially to non-Summoners who have that as a subclass and slot the proper augments.

Here is an interview from 2 weeks ago that has Steven talking about combat pets.

https://youtu.be/mDhg3TNpNP4?t=42m18s

If you want pets that aren't just cosmetic, you can get them.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options

Fortunately, it would not! Pets are (presently) planned to be perfectly attainable, in-game.

Atama wrote: »
    I think you might have gotten a bit confused. Cosmetic pets are cosmetic only. There will also be combat pets that are available for any archetype, and summoned pets available to the Summoner archetype and potentially to non-Summoners who have that as a subclass and slot the proper augments.

Here is an interview from 2 weeks ago that has Steven talking about combat pets.

linky

If you want pets that aren't just cosmetic, you can get them.

I did catch this. No confusion - but REMEMBER: *Combat* pets will be separate and apart from cosmetic pets, in that they will require some of your skill-point allocation; your toon will sacrifice some of your strength, in order to empower the pet. *Cosmetic* pets will have no bearing on your toon's skill points.

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yep. Cosmetic pets are... just cosmetic.
  • Options
    It being annoying having a flying cosmetic thing on screen constantly is exactly why I wouldn't want them to have a 'useful' effect. Let them be there for the times I feel like having one out, don't force me to have something following me constantly. Especially if I need to hide!

Some fun cosmetic easter eggs are always nice though, having them react to emotes or play with other specific pets, things like that. Social usefulness rather than gameplay usefulness.
  • Options
    Cosmetic pets are fine. I kinda like that dragon pet in FFXIV that sits on your shoulder.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Damn pets are just gonna lower fps and clutter the screen. But it is what it is. I'd rather them not have a functional purpose so that at least some people won't keep their pets out 24/7 fidgeting and bouncing around, making noises and shit lol.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I did catch this. No confusion - but REMEMBER: *Combat* pets will be separate and apart from cosmetic pets, in that they will require some of your skill-point allocation; your toon will sacrifice some of your strength, in order to empower the pet. *Cosmetic* pets will have no bearing on your toon's skill points.
    Yes, pets that give you benefits require something from you. A summoned pet means you have an archetype that is based around summoning pets (which means you don't have the skills other archetypes get), or you are devoting an augment that could have gone to something else. A combat pet gives you the advantage of having an ally in combat, but you sacrifice skill points you could have devoted to something else. Cosmetic pets cost you nothing to deploy, and therefore do nothing.

You want the ability for them to do something for nothing? Why? :/

Also, are you now taking back your original post, in which you said, and I quote:
    In today's live-stream, it was specifically mentioned that pets will be fully-cosmetic.

Which I demonstrated is false.

You don't like cosmetic pets. You don't need to have one. You want a useful pet. You can get one. What is the point of this thread?

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    As long as I can have a cockroach as a pet, like I did in WoW, I'm good.

..I miss Joint..
    sJ4g8FI.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    If the game had a looting system that made auto-loot viable and/or desired, why not just make a better looting system and leave pets as cosmetic only?
  • Options
    Pets are an eyesore as is, at least give them a reason for being everywhere.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2022

I made a similar thread a while back, because my initial thought was a bit like yours. However, that thread and more thinking also made me reconsider.

The pets in the shop are full pets. They aren't skins for ingame pets. If those pets ever start serving a function at all, they start either being pay to win or pay to convenience. Either is no go. No auto-looting, no pet battles like in WoW, and certainly nothing that helps in combat in any way.

The ONLY way to make pets have a function in the game without Intrepid breaking their word is if they change the store pets to be either a pet on it's own like now, that does nothing, or a possible skin for an ingame achievable pet that serves a function. Like a mount skin. But they have to keep the option to have it be a stand-alone cosmetic pet also.

As an aside, I didn't like BDO's pet-as-looters system. I would much rather we get a good auto-loot system without that.
  • Options
    Auto loot in general is a pretty bad idea, it would make bots easier to implement and just afk farm resources decreasing their market value..
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    If the game had a looting system that made auto-loot viable and/or desired, why not just make a better looting system and leave pets as cosmetic only?

I agree with this. Making pets a gateway to autoloot seems like gating good gameplay mechanics. Quite happy with wow's aoe looting to just be a toggleable feature or maybe something of a non combat perk with others to spec into for optional "conveniences".

I am fine with cosmetic pets its another type of self expression and perhaps have the cosmetic pets toggleable or with a screen cap slider.
  • Options
    I prefer them to be cosmetic and like Stephen said, animated for fitness and immersion. I don’t like needing to rank them up for optimal auto looting on bdo, or having to have 5 out… I spent $50 trying to get wolf that looks like a (tier 4) wolf (in size) and it’s still tiny and I still have to have 4 other ugly pets out just for optimal looting. Hate it.

I’d much rather have an adorable Firefox kit following me along for aesthetic companionship.

It would be awesome if we had the option to change their size or color for cosmetic / role-playing purposes.. no mechanics tied to what pet I need to have out, please.
    The crows seemed to becalling his name, thought Caw.
    - Deep thoughts by Jack Handey
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They won't be adding an auto loot function. In game that has pvp rewards for success (% of gathered/processed resources dropped by loser) being able to hoover up all the particular loot from kills would be a nightmare. Also we have various opt-in loot systems for group content based off of the group leaders whim (you can of course make your displeasure known if they select something like Master Looter when grouped with them). I could keep adding examples, but many people have already hit many of them previously in the thread.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    So, you want the dog to fetch the duck after you shoot it?

duck_hunt_nes.jpg?resize=768%2C432
  • Options
    Have they said whether there will be AoE loot, or will I have to click each corpse individually?
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I hope that dropped loot is pickup by the person that the drop is for and bound that way only for X amount of time. Then the loot on the ground becomes open for anyone to pickup after a further period of time. Loot only to disappear after being on the ground for considerable time.

This was how power-levelling was done in L2 solo, no lost time picking up loot, but the risk others might come and pick it up was always there. Might not pickup until the ground was littered with gold for up to an hour and only grab any significant drops!

Should a pet have a function of picking up, then whilst I would prefer not, I don`t mind if the pet picks up some time after the loot is free for all to pickup but not before.

Slow to pickup, miss out of your loot!

• Options
    Have they said whether there will be AoE loot, or will I have to click each corpse individually?

This is subject to change, of course, but in Alpha 1 you had to loot each enemy individually. On a positive note, there were indications that something was lootable, so it wasn't that bad.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    McMackMuckMcMackMuck Member
    edited January 2022
    If pets had auto-loot then @Simurgh would be disadvantaged.
    Boom! another ninja-loot headline appears, yoinks your spare change and disappears in a smokeflash.
    Forum_Signature.png
  • Options
    SimurghSimurgh Member, Phoenix Initiative, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter
    McMackMuck wrote: »
    If pets had auto-loot then @Simurgh would be disadvantaged.
    Boom! another ninja-loot headline appears, yoinks your spare change and disappears in a smokeflash.

Lies & Slander I tell you!

Where's my rogue when I need him?
    kQcyFmb.jpg
    Keep Up-To-Date with Ashes of Creation on AshesHQ - Join the community around Ashes HQ, Ashes Pathfinders, & KOTP on Discord
  • Options
    I believe Lost Ark may have pets that can loot for you. Guess we can see how it works in that game.
  • Options
    VelletyVellety Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hopefully the looting system wont be too cumbersome to warrant one. But if it is, sure.. why not. Im open to it. Just make sure it is strictly attainable only in the game and not through some shop.
    Im very 50/50 to it, just depends on how looting feels at launch.
  • Options
    KreedKreed Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

I prefer them being purely cosmetic so they aren't required. I don't really like to have them and find it silly that my bdo character is surround by small animals collecting items.

How is that pay to win? it is not even close. At best its pay to be lazy...
  • Options
    Kreed wrote: »

How is that pay to win? it is not even close. At best its pay to be lazy...

Pay-to-convenience is still pay-to-win; The goal is to completely avoid both.

• Options
    At the end of the day, no matter what ability a pet gets, people will complain about it. Especially because they can be bought from the store, so any positive they can give, turns it P2W. A sad turn of events.
  • Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think the cosmetic pets should be cosmetic. However I wouldn't be against some sort of mini game that doesn't relate to the core gsmeolay.
  • Options
    Pets already DO something. They follow you and look insanely cute. That's all anyone needs them to do.

Any other mechanics would just create a forced need to have pets with you at all times. If I don't wanna have a pet with me, for any reason ranging from RP to screen clutter, I shouldn't be deprived of auto-loot if that were to be a thing.
    Sig-ult-2.png